Star Destroyer #3

After spending some time reading this thread and studying the photos that you provided in detail, I'm blown away by both the scale and the attention to detail that you paid to this beautiful work. What's up next? =)

And because of your attention to detail, you could probably swap yours for the original without them even noticing the difference. :lol

These are all very appreciated comments, guys!

Since I have never seen the original in person, I'd been wanting someone who had seen it to see my model in person as well. When I displayed this model at WonderFest, I was hoping I would meet someone who had. Then, at the end of the show, I received the best compliment from a fellow RPF member (Nighteyes), whom I met as I was packing the model back in the crate. He told me that he had seen the real model in a museum (again, I'm envious), and told me how close mine was to it. That made my weekend!

Well I'm really glad you brought it out. Back in 08 when the WSMI exhibit was hosted where I was working I had the good fortune of spending many a lunch break staring at models. I prob stared at the SD more than the remote.

Regardless, I can't believe you haven't seen it. I felt like I was staring at the real thing again, but without the glass this time. Anyway it was a real treat to see in person.

Seriously, those pictures on page 13 where you compare the original with your build shows how close you are to the original. I highly doubt the ILM builders can rebuild the Devastator today and get it as close as you have. There's something about your build here Rick that moves me and has inspired me to the point that I've been recently buying battleship models with the intent on building a SS SD myself someday.

Regardless, I can't believe you haven't seen it. I felt like I was staring at the real thing again, but without the glass this time. Anyway it was a real treat to see in person.

Someday I hope to get the chance to see ILM's SD. Though it was possible to get close using photos as reference, I'm sure there's no substitute for seeing the real thing.

Seriously, those pictures on page 13 where you compare the original with your build shows how close you are to the original. I highly doubt the ILM builders can rebuild the Devastator today and get it as close as you have. There's something about your build here Rick that moves me and has inspired me to the point that I've been recently buying battleship models with the intent on building a SS SD myself someday.

I wish you all the best! Inspiration is one of the joys of the hobby, IMO. This model would not be nearly as good––or may not even exist––if it wasn't for being inspired by what builders do here. When it comes to SD's, Eric and I have been inspiring each other back and forth. His latest build is incredible.

All along I've been saying that this model does not need to have every last accurate kit part to be complete. However, there have always been pieces that I wanted it to have from the beginning that I was not able to get before WonderFest. Now, since WF I've been able to get most of those parts to replace what I had on the model. Nine areas have been updated all over the ship. The most obvious changes are in the first picture. I had to strip half the details off the port side wall to do this.

I want to send out a big THANKS to Craig for selling me the parts from the hard to find Bandai 1/24 Panther G.

Instead of repeating some photos, previous shots comparing my replica to the real thing were replaced on previous pages of this thread.

before-after.jpg

Star-Destroyer-by-Ingalsbe-.jpg

Star-Destroyer-by-Ingalsbe.jpg

Star-Destroyer-Back.jpg

Bottom-Hull.jpg

Rick,

Incredible~ Especially, your added detail looks great~:thumbsup
The last turret which was probably scratchbuilt? is also exactly matched to the real prop's thing.

thanks Eric.

All along I've been saying that this model does not need to have every last accurate kit part to be complete. However, there have always been pieces that I wanted it to have from the beginning that I was not able to get before WonderFest. Now, since WF I've been able to get most of those parts to replace what I had on the model. Nine areas have been updated all over the ship. The most obvious changes are in the first picture. I had to strip half the details off the port side wall to do this.

I want to send out a big THANKS to Craig for selling me the parts from the hard to find Bandai 1/24 Panther G.

Instead of repeating some photos, previous shots comparing my replica to the real thing were replaced on previous pages of this thread.

before-after.jpg

Star-Destroyer-by-Ingalsbe-.jpg

Star-Destroyer-by-Ingalsbe.jpg

Star-Destroyer-Back.jpg

Bottom-Hull.jpg

Rick,

Incredible~ Especially, your added detail looks great~:thumbsup
The last turret which was probably scratchbuilt? is also exactly matched to the real prop's thing.

thanks Eric.

Thanks, Eric! Yes, the last turret was scratch built. That's one of those kits that is hard to find or too expensive, but I think it turned out well enough.

Your SD is coming along! It is quite remarkable! A good match for the real prop!

Fantastic, love it, your a true pro dude....the photography and Photoshop stills I really thought were from the movie....amazing. Have you any other projects in mind?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back