Stainless Steel 3D Printed Kylo Ren Saber

Futurescape3D

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good evening all!

I wanted to take some time to showcase something we've wanted to make for quite some time! The stainless steel-infused material we use is great for creating that shiny, used look to a lightsaber model. We wanted one that didn't look and feel like the regular 3D printed plastic, and this material really did the trick! I think we will do some more post-production work, but even after a few minutes under the cloth buffer wheel it's already got some shine to it. Let me know what you all think!

Kylo Ren1.JPGKylo Ren 2.JPGKylo Ren 3.JPG

It actually does! The raw material is very abrasive and grainy but after polishing it's smooth and metallic to the touch. I was really surprised that it came out just like we hoped. It's much heavier than the regular printed plastic material used in 3D printing, and that was really the icing on the cake for us.

DId you print this yourself? It looks awesome!

Thank you! Yes we certainly did. We operate a 3D print lab in South Dakota and we wanted to try some of our new stainless steel material. It's turning out better than we expected, and we'll post some pictures of the completed project soon!

I wanted to post a couple more pictures of the middle part of the hilt that we buffed out even more in post production. The metal and shine are coming through!

SS Kylo Ren 1.JPGSS Kylo Ren 2.JPG

Serious question: if you have the saber assembled and then hit something hard with it (like a steel railing), does it break or crack? Just wondering as I am surrounded by clumsiness and carelessness.

Oh me, oh my! I LOVE 3D printing. Opens up so many possibities in this hobby!

The print quality looks great and nothing some sandpaper and elbow grease can't do to make it look ever more awesome.

Serious question: if you have the saber assembled and then hit something hard with it (like a steel railing), does it break or crack? Just wondering as I am surrounded by clumsiness and carelessness.

This material is just as strong as regular 3D printing material. Fully assembled, this model could handle a fall from a table but it would not stand up to a hard hit on a railing. At that point it would probably break at the joints where it was assembled.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back