Staff of Ra Medallion Cookies!

VonMagnum

Sr Member
This is something I wanted to try last year during my vacation, but never got around to it. I can't really go anywhere this year so I finally bothered to give it a go. I wanted to see if I could make Staff of Ra Medallion SUGAR COOKIES for Indiana Jones parties and the like. I'll probably try making the actual cookies tomorrow. I don't know how well it will come out (the molds are far from perfect, but I'm aiming for passable desert for home theater night). The molds look inversed for some reason (optical trick?) They're actually indented. I could theoretically make one-sided cookies with either side (maybe carve some German symbols into the other side like Toht one or combine the two cookies together (perhaps with raisins in the middle?) for a double-sided Staff of Ra Raisin Cookie! YUM!

Stage 1 Complete. 3D Rubber Cookie Molds Created

Staff of Ra Cookie Molds s.jpg

Nice! Did you have to use any sort of food-safe rubber or will any product do?

You HAVE to use special food safe rubber when making molds for food. Regular mold rubber has elements in it that are poisonous and will leach into the food.

Did you take back 1 kadam to honor the hebrew god?

Ah, so you noticed where I cut part of the braid off.... ;) (Yes of course that was on purpose to honor the Hebrew God whose Ark it is).

That's really cool and did you think about adding a red m&m for the ruby?

I was thinking of Red Raspberry Tip Preserves by Tiptree from England for the crystal to honor the Elstree Studios whose medallion that is.... (because obviously they both have the word tree in them). ;) (or their Orange Marmalade for the Amber crystal)

I guess I'll need some yellow food coloring for the cookie dough so the medallion cookies come out golden....

Definitely post pictures of the finished cookies! Those molds look amazing - which version did you use to make them?

You can't tell? For shame. :D

I used the cleanest looking metal one I had (well that should narrow it down to two since many came "aged" with ink, etc. I didn't want to pull off or get in the mold (that means I didn't use a plastic one or aged one like RM or ones that were bought "used" as god knows I didn't want to clean them first). They had to be fairly cheap too in case the original got damaged (same two really) so you know I wasn't going to use a rare or expensive one (also leaves out RM, MK and Indy Magnoli medallions). That really only leaves two possibilities I could have picked from out of the 12 I own (ridiculous I know). I don't believe either one is made by anyone on here (I didn't want to owe someone some cookies). ;)

These are purely for home use/experimentation anyway, although clearly some medallion makers here 'could' get into the cookie making business if this works out well. I'll probably make them in the next few hours. I'm new to making cookies, so it could be rough. I'll probably use the first batch with pre-made dough to make it simpler.

They're in the oven. I don't think the pre-made cookie dough was the best choice, though. I couldn't really add food coloring and it was so greasy (being pre-greased it seems from Pillsbury) that it didn't seem to want to hold the mold. It looked great at first but then the dough started "sinking" like water. I don't think that will give it very deep impressions. I think I'd have to go with homemade dough to get them right (not really set up for that here; I could try it again at my mother's house next week maybe since I'm still off).

I've still got about 10 minutes to see how these came out, though. I'm guessing it will look more like a slight imprint, if anything, though. Once they stretch, etc. it will probably remove most of it.

Yeah, they're horrible. It's losing all the detail as they cook and "rise". All you can see if the darn eagle neck. I'm going to need a different kind dough or something or perhaps a different item altogether (pizzelle?)

Absolute FAILURE. The cookie dough just obliterated almost every sign of the mold. I don't know if another cookie dough type would work better or what, but this was an absolute unmitigated waste of time and money. They also grew together (need a larger pan; I don't have cookie sheets). You can just make out the bird shape on two, maybe three of them. Awful. They actually looked OK 6 minutes into it, but then just puffed up to the point that all remaining traces were nearly obliterated from the cookie.

Failed Staff of Ra Cookies.jpg

I tried "re-molding" a cookie after baking. They have so much grease in Pillsbury sugar cookies, it came right off the mold without flour or anything. You can at least see part of the imprint this way. I added a drop of red dye. I think a different type of dough would work much better.

ReMold After Bake 02s.jpg

From what I've been reading, shortbread cookies are the way to go for getting good detail out of cookie molds. They might not taste as good as a sugar cookie, but it sounds like the end result should be much better. Maybe I'll try that one next at some point. The molds aren't going anywhere.

I was going to suggest shortbread cookies but I see it has already been mentioned. If you want to sweeten them up you could decorate them after baking by making them into a sandwich cookie with icing or paint them with an egg wash and then sprinkle them with white or colored sugar. Yellow to give them a "golden" sparkle might be good.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back