Staff of Ra Headpiece stand (Map Room Style)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Fenris, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Ever since I got my ACME Artifacts headpiece, I've been contemplating on how to display it. I decided to make the display stand look like the map room diorama.

Here's what I've done so far...
    [​IMG]

And here's a mock-up coloring using Photoshop...
    [​IMG]

The base where the headpiece rests is modeled after the base with holes where Indy sticks the staff in. I was supposed to add 2 buildings from the map room on both sides of the base, but still haven't finished sculpting them. I'm still not sure if it's better with or without 'em.

The back wall is reminiscient of the back wall of the map room, but not accurate as this is just my own artwork.

Also, the stand can also double as a mini-diorama or base for the hasbro indy action figures.

Leigh likes this.
  2. ComedicHistory

ComedicHistory Active Member

WOW, that is just plain awesome Fen. How do you plan on applying the artwork and hieroglyphics? They're gonna be incredibly small haha I can't imagine being able to make it legible but this forum surprises me daily. I doubt you'd ever make this more than just a one-off but I'd pay $50-$100 for that stand.....just throwing it out there ;) ;) Keep posting your progress though, I can't wait to see this all finished up!

3. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Well, I plan to transfer the artwork by printing it on a thin sheet of paper and gluing it to the back wall and spraying it over with some clear coat (matte finish most probably).

As for casting, if I could get enough interest, I could do that.

4. ComedicHistory

ComedicHistory Active Member

Ahhh well that makes sense and maybe this bump will let a few more people see your work :)

5. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

I'd be interested in a kit (unpainted, but including the backdrop print) depending on price...

Maybe throw an interest thread in the JY?

6. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with sculpting the buildings, I decided to just paint the stand to see how it looks...

[​IMG]

I just printed out the design on paper (which was too big, by the way... I miscalculated the measurements) and glued it on the wall... Tried to make it conform to all the cracks I had sculpted on the wall, but I forgot where all the cracks were. Dunno why the artwork and the base's color don't match up when photographed... To the naked eye, they seem to have the same hue. Also, the bottom of the base isn't really that dark.

[​IMG]

7. Contec

Contec Master Member

Maybe you could print the artwork as a decal same used on modelkits. That way they will conform better to the background.

8. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Actually, it would've conformed... if only I remembered where to put pressure on exactly. Hahaha!

9. sgtfury4017

sgtfury4017 Active Member

It looks great! I've been wanting to get a head piece but was wondering who makes the most film accurate replica.

10. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really dig this, especially the base details. Well done!

11. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

12. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Maybe you could still get hold of RelicMaker's headpieces which were cast from an original headpiece. I think he also has the Raven Bar Headpiece... it's beautiful! Too bad I can't afford it. Hehehe...

13. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is excellent!! an Awesome display (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

14. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

It's currently displayed like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've run out of space on my Indy shelf.

15. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

Very nice. If you've run out of shelf space I guess you'll just have to get another shelf. :)

16. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Well, I've run out of space to put a shelf also. Hahaha!

17. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Here it is as a diorama...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Didn't really pose the figures properly... Just put them on the stand and took the pics.

18. Tom Sheldon

Tom Sheldon Active Member

I also really like the display stand! And by the way: Photoshop level: far beyond amazing! I think I could really learn something from you :)

19. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

post your Interest thread in the Junkyard. I'll be looking for it! :)

20. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

I'll post an interest thread as soon as I can determine international shipping for the item. It's kinda big and heavy and that may be a hindrance for some members to purchase it.

21. Fenris

Fenris Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... I never did get to follow through on this project. Remembered about it when I was rearranging some stuff at home.

22. Figure5901

Figure5901 Active Member

Fantastic display! I have a headpiece coming from Relicmaker and I've been thinking about how to display it so this gives me an idea.

23. Hotsam

Hotsam Well-Known Member

I love the mock-up image you made using photoshop. Would be interested if you choose to follow through with an interest thread someday.

I think RelicMaker's 'Raven headpiece' would be suitable - as that version was used in the 'Map room' in the movie.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013