Staff of Gandalf the Grey (FotR) Rivendell to Moria V.2

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Renevo, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Renevo

Renevo New Member

So I've decided to share something I've started working on which is Gandalf's second staff that he has in Moria.
    This is actually the first time I'm using clay to sculpt anything. I just moved to Connecticut for graduate school and I no longer have a garage to work on fiberglass for pep projects. So this being my first time with clay since High School, I went with Super Sculpey so it wouldn't harden while I was 'learning the ropes'. I would appreciate any feedback/criticism to help me improve.
    I would eventually like to mold and cast this in a solid medium like resin, but this being such an intricate piece I have no idea how to go about that. Any info on that would also be great.
    Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Broilermaker and Vycanthus like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Gandalf the Grey: Moria Staff in Clay

I think it looks great.I would like to work with some of that stuff too.and I also would like to know how you would go about casting something like that. awesome!

3. berger

berger Sr Member

cut all the branches off and cast those separately

4. kursosawa

kursosawa Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dang that looks epic! I had to cut my master sculpt into 6 pieces then cast the individually.

5. Renevo

Renevo New Member

Yeah I was worried that I would have to cut off the branches to cast it.
    I still have a lot of cleaning up to do on it before I get to that point so I have time to consider if I want to do that or not.
    Oh and thanks for the compliments.

6. Auryn

Auryn Active Member

That looks fantastic, the texture is spot on.
    Ya I can't think of a way of casting it without cutting all the branches off.
    hmmm.....

7. Kirk2Enterprise

Kirk2Enterprise New Member

nice piece, you nailed it

8. berger

berger Sr Member

if you made this affordable..... im sure quite a few people would be interested in buying one.

9. Renevo

Renevo New Member

Well, with the prospect of having to cut each of the branches off to cast them, and the potential trouble of the pieces not lining back up correctly, not to mention the cost of all the molding materials (given I have no experience with that); it would almost be faster and cheaper to sculpt each one.

10. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Really really great work! Will look on with interest to your progress

11. Renevo

Renevo New Member

Here's just a few new pictures of my progress. Everything is shaped up a bit better and cleaned up quite a bit. I'm thinking it's just about finished.
    Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Thats cool... Looks like the Top of the staff is a pice of art itself...

Would be nice if the other part of the staff wouldn't be so hard, so that anyone can purchase only the top and put it on a simple staff...

13. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

are you gonna sculpt a crystal to fit in the top?

14. Renevo

Renevo New Member

Unfortunately the top piece is so complicated that casting it is nearly impossible without cutting it up into pieces.
    As for the crystal I'm not sure if I want to put one in yet or not. If I happen across one I might pop it in but otherwise probably not.

15. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Looks cool.

16. narnia2012

narnia2012 Member

Like I said: it's very impressive! And I would like to see the new one as well :D

17. Cascades

Cascades Member

That looks amazing. How long it taken so far?

18. Renevo

Renevo New Member

Hello all,

So I've been working on an updated and improved version of this staff. Aside from more accurate shaping and structure I am making this version light up with a removable crystal. Note the crystal in the pictures is an earlier model. The master is currently in the mold awaiting new castings. Once I have finished pulling the new version I will begin sculpting details in with the crystal in place.
    20140107_221747.jpg
    20140107_221753.jpg
    20140107_221922.jpg
    20140107_222906.jpg
    20140107_222409.jpg

19. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Very nice... I will follow with interest...

20. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your sculpture looks really good. I know what you mean about making molds. My first bust sculpture came out better than expected, then I was terrified to make the mold!! I new if I messed up the mold I could destroy weeks of sculpting. In the end the mold came out wonderful. Having to cut up an excellent sculpture for making molds is pretty scary! Good luck whatever you decide.

21. Jreeveo

Jreeveo New Member

Did you make a wire frame first of all and sculpt round it?

22. Renevo

Renevo New Member

Hi Jreeveo, yes, I first used a wooded dowel and hot glued a wire armature into holes to rough out the shape of the crown of the staff. I then cut the electronics into the wooden dowel and then used Super Sculpey to create the branches of the staff.
    A lot has happened since I started this project. I recently moved back to my home state of Pennsylvania after graduate school and bought a house so I haven't had time to set up a workshop. Additionally, since I started this project I have come into possession of a Noble Collection version of this staff and have realized that my sculpt was actually quite a bit larger than it should have been. I hope in the near future to re-start this project (again) with more accurate details.
    Stay tuned for updates.

Dan

23. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Even if a bit bigger. I think you nailed It quite well. wonderful piece of work...:thumbsup

24. Broilermaker

Broilermaker Sr Member

Very nice