St Edward's Crown Replica

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

darthvader073

It's a bit unusual to post real-life replicas here, but I always found it so fascinating I planned to make one for years. Now after seeing The Crown, and Adam Savage's fun build of one, I decided my time has come.

My approach to this is to 3D print the base/frame of the crown in ABS, which will give it sturdiness and enable me to smooth the hell out of it with acetone vapors.
Before smoothing I will bevel the edges with dremel, to give it a bit of hand-made feel and introduce some imperfections.
After smoothing is finished I will gold plate it with leaves, which I prefer over spray painting it.
And finally the fun part will be adding all the gems and beads and velvet and fur... I spent days on Amazon and Aliexpress to find the ones that match original as closely as possible.

Here is the progress so far:
Even though I could buy wonderfully detailed 3D model on CGTrader, I didn't feel like giving away 200$, and being VFX artist myself, I decided to model my own. It's a simple model actually and I used Cinema 4D to model the whole thing.

C4D also has beautiful tool called volume mesher, which enabled me to create ivory-like jewel bases in a matter of minutes!
I found render of detailed model with disassembled parts, so I used AI upscale to get some more details, then used luminance to extract 3D model from the image. Worked like a charm and probably saved me a day or two.

Obviously this will be 1:1 replica, but financial scale will be much much bigger, and I will post it at the end of the build :p

My printer is currently busy printing AT-AT parts, but after that is done in a few days I'll turn into royal goldsmith ;)

Attachments

• 3D_model_overlay.png
    3D_model_overlay.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • All_Parts_Render.jpg
    All_Parts_Render.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Pendants_Extractionn.jpg
    Pendants_Extractionn.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 17

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.