ST arm and leg strips

altername

I have an AP kit and am ready to start gluing some ABS but I'm starting to think about how strips were glued to the outside of the arms and legs. Does anyone have an opinion on this? What do you think looks better, with or without the strip? I'm starting to think that it looks pretty nice. I've already trimmed it for use without though.

I know that I'll have to trim more off if I decide to use them but will this mean the parts will fit more loosely? They already fit pretty well as is. I'm 5'10" and 150lbs.

Originally posted by altername@Jan 3 2006, 06:21 PM
I have an AP kit and am ready to start gluing some ABS but I'm starting to think about how strips were glued to the outside of the arms and legs. Does anyone have an opinion on this? What do you think looks better, with or without the strip? I'm starting to think that it looks pretty nice. I've already trimmed it for use without though.

I know that I'll have to trim more off if I decide to use them but will this mean the parts will fit more loosely? They already fit pretty well as is. I'm 5'10" and 150lbs.
[snapback]1149868[/snapback]​

....oh geez...I'm 6'4", 250 lbs....I was remotely hoping that I could shoehorn this armor on me.....

CMANavy is pretty big too and he fits into his TE. He definitely looks like he'd make the imperial navy's football team.
....oh geez...I'm 6'4", 250 lbs....I was remotely hoping that I could shoehorn this armor on me.....
[snapback]1149958[/snapback]​

For your build and for the sake of accuracy, I would recommend using the strips on all the leg and arm parts. Also, for the legs, the thigh strips should be roughly one inch, while the calf should be thinner, about .75 inch.

I would recommend that you 'do not' overlap the arm and leg peices as that is not how they are done in ANH and this is an ANH replica after all.

Simply butt the pieces together and cover the joint with the plastic strips.I estimate the legs to have 20mm wide strips and the arms 15mm wide,but of course if you need to go wider so the armour fits better then go for it.You can always glue extra strips inside the armour for an even more secure fix.

-Paul. :)

my GINO armor had strips for the arms and legs.he told me to buy styrene and cut 1" long strips and glue them to the inside but seem.i glued strips as long as the arms and legs on the inside instead of the 1"strips for more strenght.and if you want accuracy the outside strips don't have to be perfectly straight.best bet is to look at the dvd or braks ref cd.

Originally posted by ANH trooper@Jan 4 2006, 02:52 PM
I would recommend that you 'do not' overlap the arm and leg peices as that is not how they are done in ANH and this is an ANH replica after all.

Simply butt the pieces together and cover the joint with the plastic strips.I estimate the legs to have 20mm wide strips and the arms 15mm wide,but of course if you need to go wider so the armour fits better then go for it.You can always glue extra strips inside the armour for an even more secure fix.

-Paul. :)
[snapback]1150706[/snapback]​

Is that why my thigh pieces are so dang tight...?? ;)

The strips were my savior for the entire suit. Without them I could not have fit into the armor. The strips that came with the TE suit are 1" wide and instead of triming the armor so that the crease in teh armor is 1/2" to be coverd I cut them at 3/4"-1" that way it gave me extra space. I still have to shim the thights alot, but the lower legs fit perfectly.

BTW Football is for whimps, I will be on the Imperial Rugby team. :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back