SSgt Burton's T1 Future War Kyle Reese

SSgt Burton

Sr Member
T1Resistance003b.jpg

Just finished this in time for Halloween. My Kyle Reese Future War Resistance soldier. :D

This started out just after Halloween of 2007. For '07 I put together a "generic" T2 Resistance soldier, but it wasn't terribly accurate:

T2Soldier101.jpg

So I started gathering all the componants for a better version. Fast forward two years and 7 days before Halloween- inspired to complete it, I frantically started sewing, glueing, and painting things like a madman! :lol

T1Resistance002.jpg

T1Resistance004.jpg

T1Resistance007.jpg

I also have some accessories like the anti-HK bomb:

T1Resistance005.jpg

I just haven't figured out a way to have the pouch stay on my shoulder properly. :confused

I also have the 4-way flashlight Reese uses in his second flashback scene:

T1Resistance006.jpg

Legguards101.jpg

The leg guards were handmade by me using pleather. The knee guards are modern tactical style with pleather covers (the originals used typical volleyball knee pads spray painted black with leather covers).

Jacketfront001.jpg

jacketback001.jpg

Just finished the jacket Friday morning! :wacko

I know the jacket has a lot more straps that I will be adding later.

Endolongshot001.jpg

And of course this is a Longshot standing in for a 40W Plasma Rifle. ;)

I also have the gas mask, Shure brand headset, and First-Aid pouch.

Ready to pursue HKs traversing my sector in search mode tomorrow night!

Kevin

Last edited:
Re: T1 Future War Kyle Reese

Awesome!

First time I've ever seen this particular costume, IIRC.

Great job on it.

Good luck & happy Halloween.

-Mike

I think it's great stuff man!

Even captured the "blue undertone" that visually MADE the first Terminator.

Compliments again

:)I love the fact that you put together such an obscure costume, and have done it so well(y)thumbsup

I think it's awesome that you've done this costume with such attention to detail.

I once saw a stunt 40W Plasma rifle for sale, on eBay I think, but it was damaged and missing the scope.
I forget what the base weapon was for that.

Nice job on all you've done!

Mike

I once saw a stunt 40W Plasma rifle for sale, on eBay I think... I forget what the base weapon was for that.

Reese's Plasma rifle was based on a Valmet M82A:

valmet_m82_l2.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys; I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I had forgotten that Halloween bar costumes are about the lowest common denominator. I mean I knew going in that few if any people would "get it". I just didn't think that no one would.

A few of people came up and asked me about my costume. One guy thought I was from Planet Terror.

:confused :unsure

Another says, "I've been trying to figure this one out... Is it Aliens?"

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Of all things to say.

"Aliens".

If I was wearing my USCM gear he would have said "Terminator". :rolleyes :lol

Another guy asks and I tell him I'm Kyle Reese from the first Terminator- "you know; where he's in the future fighting the machines?"

So he thanks me, walks over to a friend, and says "He's a young Kyle Reese from the Terminator Salvation."

:rolleyes :cry :rolleyes

(However that same guy did appreciate how much work I put into the costume and commented that a bar is too dimly lit to appreciate all the detail. :thumbsup )

But I felt so out of place last night I just wanted to leave- which I did shortly before midnight.

I should have known better. The masses aren't about obscure costumes. I should have worn my Grayson Robin and saved this for the convention circuit. Needless to say last night was a write off. Oh well- there's always next year. :rolleyes :lol

Thanks again guys!

Kevin

Last edited:

Reese's Plasma rifle was based on a Valmet M82A:

500px-ValmetM82AModified.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys; I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I had forgotten that Halloween bar costumes are about the lowest common denominator. I mean I knew going in that few if any people would "get it". I just didn't think that no one would.
SNIP
I should have known better. The masses aren't about obscure costumes. I should have worn my Grayson Robin and saved this for the convention circuit. Needless to say last night was a write off. Oh well- there's always next year. :rolleyes :lol

Thanks again guys!

Kevin

Oooo yeah, that Valmet's a bit obscure!
Anything that comes up, eBay, Gunbroker etc; is sure to be high dollar.

Far as the bar for a costume venue,
I've found the stories in this thread amusing,
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=72648
11 pages worth.
Even when people don't take the time to comment,
you know the work is understood and appreciated on the RPF.

Good Luck,
Mike

Don't sweat it dude. It seems like guys of our generation (late gen x-ers, early gen Y-ers, or guys in their mid 20's to early 30's) really like the "obscure 80's pop culture costume that few people will get, or expect". I was Rambo from First Blood. Tarp and all. I think one older guy in the place actually got it.

Next year I plan on being Solid Snake (Hopefully my friends do a "Super Smash Brothers" group theme). Chances are no one will get that, considering it's a pretty similar costume. Hell, Snake's image on the cover of the first Metal Gear IS Michael Beihn from Terminator.

Hey thanks again guys! :thumbsup

I'm going to do some more upgrades to the jacket by adding the straps around the forearms (I've already done two of the four altogether) and the two straps that go around the waist.

Now the hard part... I have to dirty all of it up. :lol

Another thing I managed to do (with the help of the RPF) is track down the little thingy hanging off of Reese's belt:

Term083.jpg

thingy001.jpg

Turns out it is a military distress marker. So I recently won this one of feebay:

beltthingy002.jpg

beltthingy001.jpg

I think the screenused one has the dome painted black, so I'll be painting mine. :thumbsup

Once again thanks for the kind words!

Kevin

Last edited:

Wow, very awsome! :D

I've got the gear for a T4 resistance soldier, but deffintly not as cool as this! :D

The jacket is an Alpha Industries MA-1 flight jacket:

835-9008.jpg

I managed to find a cheap, beat up one at a local surplus store for $20. It was the common colour Sage Green like the picture above.

The screeused jacket appears blue/gray on screen. There has been some debate as to whether this was because of lighting techniques, or a repainted jacket. I went with what is seen on screen and repainted my jacket with Tamiya Acrylic spray paint. The colour I chose was TS-32 "Haze Grey":

Jacket201.jpg

Now for the hard part- the padding.

The best guess of the padding is that it was "moving blanket" material:

090220162940002-O.jpg

t1-set-michael-028.jpg

Now, you could go with this stuff. But I have heard that it isn't very durable once you cut into it. A friend of mine who had used the moving blanket for a different costume said that it fell apart rather quickly.

So I still had plenty of the (inaccurate) material I used for my first T1 soldier:

IM003037.jpg

So this material had an incorrect checkerboard pattern.

What I did was re-stitch the correct zig-zag pattern, and then removed the incorrect criss-cross stitches (which nearly drove me back to drinking again ;) :lol ):

newpattern001.jpg

I cut the whole thing (front and back of the jacket) out of one large piece. Basically just eyeballing it. Sewed the edges and finally sewed it onto the jacket:

Jacketfront001.jpg

jacketback001.jpg

There are also two large oval pads under each forearm.

Reese's nametape was only sewed onto the jacket at either end. In the "looking at Sarah's Kodamatic picture" flashback scene, you can see that his nametape "bows" away from his jacket. His nametape says: RE DN 38416.

Reese's jacket also has several leather straps with D-rings. Two on each forearm and two that run around the waist. For now I've only added one strap to each forearm.

The collar of Reese's jacket has also been replaced with a strip of leather with D-rings on the one end.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back