SS TOS Raider Finished!!

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, this kit is deceptively challenging, but in a good way - and I have a few words of advice to help every one else build theirs.

Rear engine ports - I think if I had mastered this kit, I would have made a "cap" that would have finished off the ends of the engine ports. I had to do a lot of time consuming puttying and sanding, and I actually shaved off some of the detail and replaced with strips of styrene to make it sharper. I recommend doing this to save time. Things line up pretty well - this is a great kit.

IMGP7046.jpg

Be careful here too - a few air bubbles popped up when I wnet digging - no biggie, and they are filled now.
IMGP7047.jpg

The ends of the wings are also a little tricksy. One of the two has the correct angle to fit at the right curve. The other would point too far downward, so I used an angle attachment on my small belt sander to make the part match. took 5 seconds - but be careful that you get these ends lining up correctly. They meet along the top of the top curve, but by the time you get to the trailing edge of the part, it's sitting below the main body's bottom hull. Photos of the real deal support this though, so it's correct - the model is from a real one, after all.
IMGP7049.jpg

The bottom is easy.
IMGP7051.jpg

Lights look rad.
IMGP7062.jpg

SO the only "real" problem on the kit is the canopy. All pics I've seen of this KIT hide the fact that the canopy has a gap in the area where it meets the body. I've talked to Jesse, and he's aware of it. All you have to do is add some mass to the back louver, mainly at the bottom. Here's a before shot, an after shot, and a comparison between the part as you get it out-of-the-box, and how much more I added to it.

IMGP7055.jpg

IMGP7063.jpg

IMGP7057.jpg

Great kit - just took a few days longer with the putty than I thought it would. Still highly recommended. Next up? Paint.

Looks great. I'm going to order one this week. Jesse, Are you recasting the canope? The Viper was easy as it didn't need to be perfect. All my mistakes and deficiencies could be attributed to battle wear.... but the Raider is supposed to be 'perfect'. I'm a bit afraid I may not have the skills to do her justice.

Ken

Well, it's cast from a real one - so it "is" perfect - warts and all. I guarantee that the one you build will probably be BETTER than most of the ones you saw on screen - they were made of foam ;)

If that's the kit Jesse is selling its not a casting off a real one. I made the patterns for Custom Replicas. I sculpted a new body and located all the kits and parts but a few. I had a casting from a studio first gen casting that was not in good shape due to deforming. And it shrank. I'm glad Jesse is doing this kit. Not enough people got the chance to buy it. I have sent him the missing parts I have since IDed and he is incorporating them into the patterns he purchased.

Mark

Ahh, my mistake. I thought it was cast off the real one, since the canopy is bowed inward a little and, well, it looks awesome.

What parts do I need to swap out?. Wanna make it puuurfect.

The canopy IS the only real part left :) That I know of :rolleyes I didn't have time to make a new one which I wanted to make functional louvers to see the interior ;)
Tell Jesse I told you about the parts and he'll tell you. I don't have my kit list hand as were moving and I backed up my PC. If he doesn't do it PM me and I'll dig out the info after the move. The missing kits are only a couple and are cheap.

I'm glad you like the kit. I spent a lot of time on that thing.

Mark

My edits are from typos. Don't try to type when you first get up in the morning :p

As I said, as far as I know. I had made one of the two wings. Jim was to do the other. Maybe he used both of the old castings to save time. Eitherway, 90% of it was re made by me :D
And again, a pattern was made and molded by Apogee for casting others for shooting. A hero casting that is owned by a private collector was then molded to make the reference model I was working from so it and anything from it was a second generation off the original.

Mark

Hey all....sorry I haven't been around much...work keeps getting in the way of fun.

As for the Raider...The canopy is from an original, and is a little warped..it's fixable, but not perfect. I think, similar to the Viper, the Raider as a whole wasn't perfect. If you look at pictures of the studio models they had various inaccuracies including glaring symetry errors. Mycroft and Jim fixed a lot of those, and didn't fix others. As always, its an issue of whether you make it perfect (and thus perfectly WRONG) or make it right, and make it look imperfect. (Did I get that right?.?.)

I was also under the impression that the wingtips were original...I thought I read that (regarding the ships recreation), and I thought the seller told me that...but I'm not positive. My apologies if I was wrong there.

Mycroft did generously send us lots of information to make a 2nd generation Raider, or add on parts to the current one. Right now my partner and I are deciding what to do. Interest in the kit has not been high, and it's expensive to do. We have considered making a new version, which would be a lot more time consuming, but would allow Mycrofts work to be finished as it would have been (had he been able to...long story there) or simply providing some additional add on parts. Some of these add ons are already included in the kit...just little pieces that were not there in the first version. I suspect, we will end up doing both...making a new version and offering upgrade parts to people who already got a kit. All that said, I have not commented on this till now because nothing is set in stone. Both my partner and I are swamped right now, and we have discussed discontinuing the Raider indefinitly because of the time and costs involved. I don't want to get to high on the radar either. I know a lot of people will say "Ill wait until the next version" and I want to be clear that may never happen. I just don't know. I have the best of intentions, but like many of you have a million other projects lined up that I also want to do someday. I'd hate to promise somethign and never do it, so it was better to simply offer what we had to people who didn't get it. If we ever do another version Ill make sure we do our best to make it available as an upgrade or cheap update to people who already bought the first version. In some ways, I wonder if we will ever be "done" with the Raider and other projects...there is so little information out there that it seems whenever I think it's perfect I find out about another little difference Apogee did on one, or another, or at one time.

So...to conclude...(sorry for the long note. )

Jason...looks awesome...can't wait to see more.

Current version - available now but will be limited and run may end soon. (PM or email me if interested to jestefarean@comcast.net)

New version - no guarentees here.

Mycroft - thanks for all the help and information. Your the best....

Jesse I would not give up on this quite yet. I honestly believe that too many models came out at one time.

You KNOW I want one and I still have not been able to come up with the funds. With Kip's New Raider and the Brundle Viper, as well as your own Viper, people are stretched little thin.

Add the fact that a certain SW model was available for about five minutes and was quite pricey. Once things have settled down I honestly think that the demand will pick up.

Greg

Amen. We had the biggest run of new studio-scale subjects I have ever seen in this hobby this year. It is hard for people to spend that much and then they have to pick and choose based on priorities. I agree it was a case of bad timing. Don't give up yet. :)

I think Jades correct - I'd LOVE to get that raider - your viper - Frank viper - etc. etc. I'm just tapped at the moment. this has been by far the best year for new models in my memory. Super high quality for reasonable prices - but a lot of them... If only I had an extra several grand ;)

Jedi Dade

And Jesse I sent you a PM through other channels about getting a Raider. I assume you didn't get it. Log in to Macross World if you haven't already.

I am in the same boat as some of the others with the expensive SS kit in the last month.

I'm seeing lots of PM's with people who most likely have not resorted to selling any organs yet.

:confused :D :lol

Totally understood and appreciated all...I'm in the same boat. :)

Originally posted by Mycroft Holmes@Aug 1 2005, 10:22 AM
Mark

I just wanted to let you know that I feel in love with this kit ever since I first saw your SS Raider rebuild artical in Modelers Resource magizine several years ago. I have dreamed of owning, but I never thought I would, until now.

Between your and Kit Girls SS articals in Modelers Resource I fell in love with SS kits.

You should try and get Kit Girl over hear in the SS forum, I'm sure she would be a great asset.
Her articals on the SS Viper, and Buck Rogers Star fighter were awesome..

Thanks for getting me in this crazy hobby. ;) :lol
Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369+Aug 3 2005, 05:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Aug 3 2005, 05:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Mycroft Holmes
@Aug 1 2005, 10:22 AM
Mark

I just wanted to let you know that I feel in love with this kit ever since I first saw your SS Raider rebuild artical in Modelers Resource magizine several years ago. I have dreamed of owning, but I never thought I would, until now.

Between your and Kit Girls SS articals in Modelers Resource I fell in love with SS kits.

You should try and get Kit Girl over hear in the SS forum, I'm sure she would be a great asset.
Her articals on the SS Viper, and Buck Rogers Star fighter were awesome..

Thanks for getting me in this crazy hobby. ;) :lol
Lynn
[snapback]1049066[/snapback]​

[/b]

You know the kit girl? Cool. I agree...I love her Viper article.

Originally posted by Jestefarean@Aug 4 2005, 11:06 AM
You know the kit girl?  Cool.  I agree...I love her Viper article.
[snapback]1049585[/snapback]​

Not personally.... :D

Yes, it is because of her I fell in love with this crazy SS kit hobby with her first artical in Modelers Resource with the SS Buck Rogers Star fighter in 2001, and made me wish I could find and get these great kits.

I loved the Viper artical too..

Lynn

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back