SS TOS Cylon Raider Version 2

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So this has been hinted at in a couple of other threads so i thought i would start sharing, pics show a progression of work on this, keep in mind that most of this is pinned or cobbled together just for a preview so there is some "wonkiness" to it so be kind, but like i said i wanted to share.

The Mark D. /Jim Key Raider is a beautiful kit but had some issues, that Jesse and i were not aware of when we purchased the master, and that Mark was not aware of when he built the master. The biggest issue IMO was the shape of the top, it was to "flat" and did not match the shape of the wings (which are original castings), this also made the sidewall to short. Marks research continued after the kit was release and he believed that the body and wings were cut from a hemishere, we tracked down the right one to rebuild the top. This led to a bunch of other small adjustments that I am currently working on, but here is a preview.....check out how much better the "curves" of the top now match the wings, the sidewalls are taller, and the louvers are castings from an orginal. There is some "wonkiness" in these because i am trying to hold things together and take pics at the same time but i hope everyone can see what i am getting at...
thanks
mike

raptor066.jpg

raptor071.jpg

Sweet! I love this ship design!!

I take it the scale of these 2 ships are the same???

FB

The one on the bottom is an updated version of the one on top, they are both the same scale, estimated 1/32. The new kit body will be slightly bigger because of the changes, but only because of the corrected, taller top.
mike

snif snif. Makes me proud:cool

Glad I could be of help....again ;)

I'm still looking for the parrts we talked about. I have a 1/25 Centurion if you want the real parts for the top and related details.

The Bandai/Fuman 1/48 Wespe has a certain part for the bottom of the intakes that we did not have at the time.

Mark

snif snif. Makes me proud:cool

Glad I could be of help....again ;)

I'm still looking for the parrts we talked about. I have a 1/25 Centurion if you want the real parts for the top and related details.

The Bandai/Fuman 1/48 Wespe has a certain part for the bottom of the intakes that we did not have at the time.

Mark

Thanks Mark, i have the Wespe, and if i am not mistaken the top part is already the Centurion part, if it is not it is an exact reproduction....
mike

It is. I wasn't sure if you were using castings of the parts from the one I mastered :)

Not castings but the original part you mastered, slightly modified to fit the new body. I took a zero shrink casting of the old top and bottom and reused any original kit parts that i could, the rest i purchased new kits to bash from.

I doubt i will ever have occasion to use the old top and bottom as a kit release again but the zero shrink castings ensure that Jesse and i have an archive of the old kit, just in case.....
mike

It's too funny, I was just talking with a buddy of mine who had recently acquired one of the original SS Cylon models and how much I wanted one! Glad to see it's in the works again! I LOVE that ship! :)

Great work!!
-B89! :D

Hey I'll trade you for my Custom Replicas kit, once you get this new version done....:lol

I just got my older "Studio Scale" kit out to work on it. The flat top is bothersome, but my kit in particular appears to have had a more flattened top part than usual. After applying a heat gun, the top has restored a bit more of a curve and looks better, but not as good as what I see here.

I'm thrilled to have this kit, and I'm thrilled that a better one is underway.

Little update for the weekend, getting everything blended together on the new top and starting on the panel lines. Panel lines are tough for 2 reasons, the plexiglass hemisphere is hard, and it is not easy to panel line on such a curved surface.....

raptor109.jpg

raptor111.jpg

raptor113.jpg

Hey I was just watching some TOS BSG tonight.

The SPFX shots of this Cylon Raider look to me as if the original Jim Key design was correct, and the overall shape of the Raider hull was not, in fact, a complete spheroid design. From what I'm seeing in the original DVD set, the middle section is indeed more flat.

How are you basing your hypothesis that a complete spheroid is the correct shape?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back