SS TIE Buildup Pics (NEW PICTURES 3/11)

jvasilatos

Sr Member
Here are some pictures of the hollowed out cockpit hull, switch and wiring placement for my SS Tie I am working on. It will have two engine lights and a light in the cockpit dashboard to illuminate the cockpit I am going to install that I am getting from another modeler. I further hollowed out Steve's cored hull to allow more space for the cockpit insertion with my dremel tool (cockpit walls will cover the rough areas inside.) I also placed the switch in a place where it can be camouflaged and plan on designing a 'cupola" type of base/stand to accomodate the hatch that will cover the switch for the lights:

TIE_ENGINE.jpg

TIE_HULL_1.jpg

Not too hard to convert if you can get a cored hull or hollow it yourself. Hope this helps people who are working on their SS kits and want to detail their cockpits. I will post more pics as I make progress.

JV

Well I added the battery pack. I am going to make the rear hatch removeable for battery replacement because they would be too hard to get to from the top when I add the cockpit pieces I am going to be getting from another modeler (and there will be a TIE pilot instead of Vader occupying it):

TIE_ENGINES.jpg
TIE_REAR_TOP_FRONT.jpg

COCKPIT.jpg

Unfortunately this will have to sit on the shelf until I get the cockpit to add since I can't do much more until the interior is added and sealed up to finish the outside but the modeler tells me he will have it cast soon (he is also doing a wicked studio scale TIE advanced that he is previewing at Starship Modeler that I am looking forward to here.) Apparently he did some studio scale TIE Interceptors awhile back as well from which design he will be providing me the cockpit and pilot. And the wings can't be finished either until I get all the parts needed that I am still waiting on.

When I'm done with mine, if you are lucky to have gotten your SS TIE and want them built up with these types of interior lighting setups, I am thinking of doing them for people as well as finishing and painting them. I'm more comfortable doing TIEs since the painting doesn't require the intricate weathering of an X-Wing (and there are those here who do an amazing job.)

JV

JV- Would you consider selling them as a kit? I'd definitely pay money for a cockpit and pilot that would fit inside the TIE.

Originally posted by RickDTM@Feb 24 2006, 11:21 AM
JV- Would you consider selling them as a kit?  I'd definitely pay money for a cockpit and pilot that would fit inside the TIE.
[snapback]1192164[/snapback]​

Rick-

I will direct you to the modeler making the cockpits and pilots so you can buy one from him when he has them available.

JV

MAN I've been trying for a while now to get one of these SS TIE kits but to no avail....

Great work so far.

As a side note, I did email the gentleman you link to about the TIE kit he had done previously, a week or so ago but I haven't heard back from him as of yet...

hehehe then again my systems at home are both down right now so I can't even check my home email so maybe there's one from him there just waiting for me.....

Has anyone else out there built up a hero TIE yet... and if so do you have pictures to share? Hero being the version with Kool Shade wings.

JV

I am psyched.

The guy doing my cockpit has e-mailed me that he's casting them up this weekend and I will be getting it next week. I can't wait to add it to my hull and finish up the lighting work. He's finished his TIE Advanced also and will be offering them soon. Keep checking the link in my first post to Starship Modeler for photo updates and I will post some here as I make progress on my SS Tie.

JV

First off... big thanks to Chris Kelley who created these great TIE cockpit parts. They come from his SS TIE Interceptor and are also being utilized for his SS TIE ADVANCED that he is wrapping up work on. I got the cockpit kit yesterday and excitedly examined how to fit it into Steve's SS TIE Standard. I had to make some modifications to squeeze the thing in, but the things I had to trim will be easily rectified when it is painted and locked in place and replaced with custom cut panels and hoses to cover seams in the edges of the interior walls. I also had to lose the back panel (seen in the picture with Vader) and will have to do up the back wall of the cockpit with my own work since it's also the battery access door for the interior lighting:

COCKPIT_PARTS.jpg

Chris can be contacted at: HighIntensity66@aol.com if you want a cockpit kit or to get on his SS Vader TIE list.

Well first off, thank God Steve was able to begin my task by delivering the cockpit cored as I asked him to on another thread. I still had to use my Dremel to really customize the space inside, especially after receiving Chris's cockpit kit. Had I not gotten the main hull cored my kitchen would look like Kate Moss was in there on a cocaine binge with the amount of resin powder that would have accumulated (the amount that accumulated as it is was a pretty big mess to clean up afterwards as well as running the fan for ventilation.) But here's the last of the customization of the main hull interior to make room for Chris's cockpit addition:

HOLLOW_TIE.jpg

Chris's kit included TWO dashboards, so that there is detail on the inside of the cockpit also. Since Steve's front dashboard had the standard TIE detail, I used one of Chris's for the interior of the cockpit, and trimmed and sanded it for size:

DASHBOARD.jpg

Next, with the interior as cleaned out as I could get it and constantly inserting the sidewalls to see how much else needed to be cleared, they fit fine. I will detail that top crevice on each side when they are painted with styrene or other cockpit greeblie detail:

SIDEWALLS.jpg

Here is a top view of the interior cockpit parts temporarily in place to make sure everything will fit when I am finished painting the parts. I also included an extra wire running to the front for a red dashboard LED to light the inside along with the outer engine lights all to run off the same batteries:

INTERIOR.jpg

Finally I temporarily put the pilot in place on his seat which covered the light switch very nicely once I hollowed out the bottom. The only other part to add (along with some back wall detail) will be a scribed styrene floor panel to simulate a floor grate:

TIE_PILOT.jpg

Finally, I added the front canopy to temporarily check on how things will all align. The one I got was cracked in shipping and I glued it back together but it is still a little warped, however for now it is helping me check everything until I get a replacement from Steve:

TIE_CANOPY.jpg

Now I have to decide what colors to choose to paint the interior and if I want to go completely insane and add fiber optics for the panel lights. I have to research some more pictures of the cockpit interior to decide on a paint scheme though. I would love to get some lightsheet to simulate the red lined triangle panels as seen in this screencap, but I have not heard back from the lightsheet contact I was directed to for some small patches to add (which I would tap into the LED batteries also if I decided to go this route:

TIEcaps.jpg

Well for anyone who wants to take on modifying and detailing one of Steve's TIE kits with a cockpit, I highly recommend picking up an add-on kit from Chris Kelley. Once I do the painting and finish the lighting I will have the hull ready to mount to the wings which will hopefully be delivered soon so I can complete this. It's a little challenging, but I think having a TIE with a detailed and lit cockpit will put it even beyond the "Hero" version that features real Koolshade wings.

JV

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second JV's praise for Chris's cockpit kit. I bought one to hopefully do the same thing JV is doing for my standard TIE.

Keep going JV.. You're inspiring me for sure. :cheers

Very nice. Your progress is inspiring. Hopefully, I'll have my Hero this year and can begin work.

BTW, I was watching ANH last night and noticed - which also seems to be in your screencaps - the TIE Pilot's right cog has a piece cut out between 9 and 12 o'clock. Wonder if that was intentional or a boo-boo in helmet finishing?

Anyway, fine work, JV.

Allan

Looks good..

A little tip if you want it...

Replace the resin TIE pilot with a real '95 action figure that it was cast from.
I did that with mine, it looks much better and less work because the action figure is already done.
Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@Mar 11 2006, 02:27 AM
Looks good..

A little tip if you want it...

Replace the resin TIE pilot with a real '95 action figure that it was cast from.
I did that with mine, it looks much better and less work because the action figure is already done.
Lynn
[snapback]1203347[/snapback]​

Hi Lynn-

I considered that but I had to shorten this one at the knees to fit him in against the dashboard already so cutting apart a figure might be work than I already need to do, although it would be helpful to have the pre-painted figure, especially with the Imperial Insignia already painted on the shoulders. I will have to go buy one and consider which to use.

Well I spent all night working out the way to connect the back hatch and tookthe plunge into painting the hull... it's funny, you agonize over what color is best and if you need to mix up a color, I found an off the shelf Rustoleum grey primer that has a very slight blue tone to it that looks perfect, and used Testor's Intermediate Blue for the canopy, dashboard and engine accents. I think it looks great... I will follow up with some new pictures shortly. All that's left now is deciding on specifics for the interior cockpit with paint colors and scratchbuilding a control yoke and targetting device.

JV

Well here are pictures of the painted hull.

Although the canopy looks dark blue in these pictures, it's much darker in real life and closer to grey, the light flash brings out all the blue color though.

Well I may do the canopy and other accents in a darker grey, not sure yet. I keep looking at these pictures and what's here in front of me seeing the canopy looks dark grey in real life so why should I worry how it photographs (no wonder we can never nail the right colors accurately from what was shot on film.)

JV

PAINTED_1.jpg

PAINTED_2.jpg

PAINTED_3.jpg

PAINTED_4.jpg

PAINTED_5.jpg

PAINTED_6.jpg

PAINTED_7.jpg

PAINTED_8.jpg

PAINTED_9.jpg

PAINTED_10.jpg

PAINTED_11.jpg

PAINTED_12.jpg

PAINTED_13.jpg

PAINTED_14.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back