SS Tie Bomber question

scotthothpatrol

Hi I am am interested at some point in building the tie bomber. at the moment I am gathering materials. I have two questions first is for those of you who build it how did you go about cutting the rectangles and the the center in the elliptical dome vhe-200? I am sure that some of you will say you 3d printed it but I don't have one of those. If some one has a spare they can part with that would be even better. The other question is what kit piece goes in the rectangle cutouts or is it a plastruct piece. It seems I saw that that piece/ pieces had some sort of ribbing to it.
thanks
Scott

Attachments

Voodoocaster

Check this link out http://www.x2creativos.com/pdf/tie_bomber.pdf here you will find all you need regarding the tie-bomber donor kits.
The correct Yamato part will only be found in the vintage kit(bottom/belly of the tie bomber fuselage),.the new tool kit part is different,..this also goes for the Shinano i think.
Also the saturn V kit has to be a vintage one,..the newer kit does not have the bulges on the ribbed rings.
Be carefull to cut the cones of the saturn V for the tie-bomber engines,you only get 2 of them per kit(maybe only 1 i'm not too sure anymore) but i do remember i cut them too short:facepalm
Also take good notice of the railway wheel bearings located on the inside of the bomber's wings,.they are from the Leopold railway gun,. you'll find that there are 2 kind of bearings,.they look similar but are not the same,..the difference is subttle.

Last edited:

Scott Graham

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As I remember people talking about those rectangular pieces, I’m pretty sure the donor is The Prince of Wales ship. I think only one per kit maybe. You should have that kit because it donates another part.

People also brought up plastruct, but I’m not sure about that source.

If I were to do it, I might look for N gauge corrugated siding. It might come out to be close in appearance.

eagle1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, the Prince of Wales provides those little rectangle parts. There's 2 per kit, so 4 needed if doing all kit parts & no casts. I'm pretty sure I just scribed some styrene matched to the parts & cut the 8 needed, I couldn't tell the difference tbh!.

I cut my octagonal shape from a template & sanded correctly. One thing I would recommend is don't use the 'clear' hemispheres as it's very hard going to cut & the clarity is off putting. Use the grey hemispheres & make sure you state this when ordering.

Stu

scotthothpatrol

Thanks Scott I ordered a Prince of Wales tree from Tamiya if the part is not on there i will use a Evergreen or Plaststruct piece

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Stu I will get the grey ones

swgeek

Sr Member
Yeah on mine I used the PoW parts, I made a mold and cast the other 6 parts instead of buy 4 PoWs. I agree with Stu, get the grey hemispheres. As far as cutting the rectangles I just used a small hand held saw, like an x-acto saw and then filed them into perfection. Similarly for the center I drilled out most of the material and than followed that with small files.

scotthothpatrol

Yeah on mine I used the PoW parts, I made a mold and cast the other 6 parts instead of buy 4 PoWs. I agree with Stu, get the grey hemispheres. As far as cutting the rectangles I just used a small hand held saw, like an x-acto saw and then filed them into perfection. Similarly for the center I drilled out most of the material and than followed that with small files.
I plan on doing lots of casting parts on this build

Evansdad

When I built mine I made a mold of a few key parts that could save you some money. The part from the 1:700 HMS Rodney, the 1:700 Yamato and the fenders from the Lee tank. I’d be happy to send it to you.... I won’t be needing it. I would just ask that you pass it on to anyone else building a 1:48 scale TIE Bomber.

scotthothpatrol

When I built mine I made a mold of a few key parts that could save you some money. The part from the 1:700 HMS Rodney, the 1:700 Yamato and the fenders from the Lee tank. I’d be happy to send it to you.... I won’t be needing it. I would just ask that you pass it on to anyone else building a 1:48 scale TIE Bomber.
Thanks for the offer. I actually have have most of the kits or they are on the way. The only things missing are the Stuka and the Shinano kit # 77024