SS Escape Pod - frustrum approach

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

qcfoundry

Sr Member
Here's my approach to creating an escape pod:

in its simplest forms, its just six frustrums (plus a little dome). there's plenty of reference material out there to get the shape correct (or pretty close). i'm kinda surprised nobody has attempted to build it this way. its cheap. its easy for anybody to do.

what i've posted was a rough draft..a first run. all this work was created by hand -- ie, with rough paper templates, traced onto plastic sheet, cut with a cheap harbor freight scroll saw, etc. you will likely see in some of the pictures that the sections don't always lay perfectly flat against each other. the final form will not have these problems since i've figured out how to correct that (due to the trial and error of this first draft).

i'll be tacking donor kit pieces to this form to double/triple check that the size & proportions are correct, then editing my drawings as necessary. after that i'll get the next/final pieces laser cut for the final version. not only will this cut down on a lot of manual labor i invested, but will further alleviate the fit problems.

once i've created my final form i'll be releasing the drawings to the general pubic for free. the drawings will basically be instructions. if you've seen my drafting efforts on the AT-ST then you should expect something similar. the drawings will include the cutting templates (that you can give directly to a laser cutter), instructions/hints on how to assemble the pieces, perhaps how to install an inner metal armature to mount to a panavise, perhaps additional templates for the exterior panels, and (what i call) a donor matrix which indicates which donor pieces go where - how many are required, etc (to the best of my knowledge).

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

3phase

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Love the escape pod and is something i might try down the road so thanks in advance.

MonsieurTox

Master Member
I think he meant "you did the most diffcult job for the escape pod" ? And it's true getting the right proportions is the most difficult part of this build ! Keep up the good work Q ! :thumbsup

Weezer

Your method is the way I was thinking of building the main structure. I took the same approach with my 1:1 Boba Fett rocket.

Can't wait to see it finished.

qcfoundry

Sr Member
really appreciate all the kind words. i'm continuing to work on the drawing to get to the laser cutter. i'm also updating additional drawings to serve as an (large?) instruction manual should anybody else care to try to create an escape pod in this manner.

tk1608

Sr Member
That looks great, looking forward to more, and those plans you're planning...yes please !!:love

Cheers

Phil

qcfoundry

Sr Member
Is there a limit on necro-posting?

Wondering if I should start a new post - but also want to include the "early stages".

FIVE years later, I'm past the beta model and executing the finished work. I'm using the same exact method, but this time, its all been laser cut by hand and all of the angles and individual frustrums are lining up really tight.

I'll be bringing this football to Wonderfest if anyone is up to go long down the main hotel hallway?

(*Admin: not sure why I'm getting the thumbnails at the bottom of my post. Please delete them?)

Attachments

Last edited:

joewhite

Sr Member
5 years! Damn, has it been that long, Q? I remember taking the laser cut pieces to you at the '12 Wonderfest! Too bad they didn't work out but it's cool to see hand cutting worked. v2.0 looks amazing!

Joe

marvin

I see scratchbuilding. I see precision. I see craftmanship. I like it. Cant wait to see more Q.