Sprucing up a playmate tos trek communicator

pyxl

I finally took some parts (including a lid from a great guy named Osprey111) and put together a spruced up "modded" playmates communicator. I think it looks much better...hope you do too.

fcom1.jpg

fcom2.jpg

fcom3.jpg

Hey that's not too bad. I especially like your wavy moire. :thumbsup

The original playmates is... mediocre at best.

- k

What did I do...let's see:

* Sanded the shells smooth, got rid of the belt clip on back...sanded off the molded mic plate (and fake yellow led), sanded off molded plastic center plate and replaced with real aluminum one.
* Replaced the plastic lid with a custom brass one from Osprey (when he was doing lids)
* Cut out the plastic Moire ring and replaced it with an aluminum one (with wavy moire)
* Added home made mic plate, and actual mic "screen" used on originals (some of you know what I mean, right?)
* Replaced 2 LED lights with new bezels and jewels.

Fun. Looks much better than the original playmate.... see below.

ebf619.jpg

Oh yes. In fact, I just ordered a shipment of phasers and powerpacks to be beamed down from the ship (heaters they're sometimes called).

Seriously though, no. The original only had 2 LEDs and I didn't bother reattaching them. The buttons for the sound effects were also removed and filled in...I have the electronics floating around here, but not in the comm.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back