spray paint art

anthonyjp

some art i did over the weekend with afew cans of spray paint and a few other household items. i was thinking about what the predators' planet might look like, also the ones around it and came up with these... theres alot of REALLY amazing artists ohere on the lair so please, ANY feedback is appreciated positive or negative :)

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these a lot.

Now for the criticism...
The biggest thing for me would be relating to your stars. The occasional drizzle aside, the stars seem too… drop-like. I think your bigger drops and the strings of drops take away from your affect. They're good and round but the number of strings of drops takes away from the randomness of the universe.

The only other thing I can think of to mention is the middle pic with the two planets(or moons :)) should have the same light source being that close to each other. Still, it's my favorite of the three :D. It gives me the feeling of standing on Mars watcing the mountains with the sun rising behind me. I don't know if that's exactly what you were going for (or a nebula feel) but the hard edges made me think mountains and shadows.

Keep it up.

I like these a lot. :D

Now for the criticism...
The biggest thing for me would be relating to your stars. The occasional drizzle aside, the stars seem too… drop-like. I think your bigger drops and the strings of drops take away from your affect. They're good and round but the number of strings of drops takes away from the randomness of the universe.

The only other thing I can think of to mention is the middle pic with the two planets(or moons :)) should have the same light source being that close to each other. Still, it's my favorite of the three :D. It gives me the feeling of standing on Mars watcing the mountains with the sun rising behind me. I don't know if that's exactly what you were going for (or a nebula feel) but the hard edges made me think mountains and shadows.

Keep it up. :D

thank you

but yeah i didnt like how the stars came out either, i need to try and explore a few new techniques for that because as of right now im just soaking my fingers in white spraypaint and flicking it onto the paper lol. Hence the dribbles and random congested areas of stars. But onto the picture of the two moons if you could elaborate alittle on the light source being more similar on the planets that would help alot.. i understand what you're talking about, but maybe an example would help me out alittle more. Im still EXTREAMLY new at painting or anything of the sort. I only tried 3 of these before. Set one of them on fire by accident when i was trying to quick dry it haha. Soooo im still learning ALOT. but im happy that you captured everything i was trying to portray in that one.

thank you :)

but yeah i didnt like how the stars came out either, i need to try and explore a few new techniques for that because as of right now im just soaking my fingers in white spraypaint and flicking it onto the paper lol. Hence the dribbles and random congested areas of stars. But onto the picture of the two moons if you could elaborate alittle on the light source being more similar on the planets that would help alot.. i understand what you're talking about, but maybe an example would help me out alittle more. Im still EXTREAMLY new at painting or anything of the sort. I only tried 3 of these before. Set one of them on fire by accident when i was trying to quick dry it haha. Soooo im still learning ALOT. but im happy that you captured everything i was trying to portray in that one. :D

Hey there... Nice work! The middle is my favorite too... I've had good success with a toothbrush to get more convincing stars. Just keep in mind how vast space is and the placement of stars within it. My take on the light source would be your shadows on the moons. As Master pointed out, they're close to one another so the shadows would be quite similar from the nearby star (your light source) . Imagine two people standing next to each other and how their shadows would nearly match. I hope that helps and keep it up you're off to a good start!....

That’s a good comparison.

From a visual perspective, check out the arrows and that is where my eye expects the light sources.
If they were lit by the same light the arrows would be pointing parallel or closer, right at the light.

Moons.jpg

The shadowy side of the moons would be more cresent shaped to follow the dimension of the sphere.
This is the best example I could find. The light source is close, on moons and planets they could be really far away. That would affect the shadowing.

Don't underestimate the power of stencils. Try poking holes is paper, card stock and cardboard to make stencil for some of the stars. Experiment with how close you have the stencil too. The farther away the stencil the softer the edge will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great visuals and explanation Master A...

I hadn't thought of stencils for stars... Thanks... Ha Always amazed what a dirty airbrush is capable of too... :)

woooow MasterAnubis that visual helped me alot, and thank you too wittmann!

i didnt realize at all how much differnt they are. next time around il def take both youre suggestions to heart. the toothbrush idea sounds alot better than what ive been doing lol im sure the stars will come out alot better, and for the stencil... i gotta say i was wondering how i would be able to get softer edges on the stars so it actually looks like they are projecting light and i gotta say this sounds like a perfect idea.. ive been thinking about making a predator stencil because id love to incorporate a few into my art, maybe have a silhouette of one ontop of a pyramid.. if you guys have any cool ideas let me know :)

once again thank you both for the help :D

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back