Spray on plastic. Is there such a thing?

SPS

Hey guys. I was hoping that you might be able to assist me with the following question.
Would any of you know if there is such a product as a spray on plastic or something similar? Basically, I've built a small model and I'm wishing to give it a thin 'shell' in a plastic of sorts. The harder the better.
Do you know if there's anything on the market that would let me do this? Ideally something I could build up after a few thin or mist coats via a spray, but nothing too dramatic to destroy any detail of the model.
I would be making a mold of the model afterwards and was hoping to give it a hard skin. Not just to protect the model, but to also allow for easier releasing of the mold from the model later.

As always, thanks in advance and cheers - Chris

Plasti-Dip is a rubber coating not a plastic wont work for what he wants.
You should be able spray any of the slow set thin resins from SmoothOn. The 300 series is thin enough to spray for sure. Depending on how fast you could spray it the 305 or 322 would be sprayable.

He's going to need a sprayer with a larger than normal head because the viscosity of the resin is higher than normal (paint,water,etc). That and after use the sprayer is toast. Why not use just multiple layers of clear coat?

The 300 series resin is thinner than the urethane primer I use for sure. No need for special equipment at all. And if he clean the gun soon after spraying the gun will be fine its still a urethane based product, clean up with acetone if worried about it. I've sprayed polyester resin through my primer gun just fine, still use it works perfect been using it for 7 years now. ;)

He's going to need a sprayer with a larger than normal head because the viscosity of the resin is higher than normal (paint,water,etc). That and after use the sprayer is toast. Why not use just multiple layers of clear coat?

Thanks for all the suggestions! The mention of the clear coat probably isn't such a bad idea. Even if I did brush it, I can control how thin to mix it up so it wont swallow up all the detail.
I'll check out all the other ideas though and hopefully land on something that'll work.
Cheers - Chris

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back