Spray booth? Y or N?

Yep, that happens, also, the wind lifts the part I'm spraying and it flies through the air and, oddly, always lands paint side down!

Anyone have a suggestion for a setup in an apartment? Preferably that can be stored away in a closet when not in use?
I supposed I could create a box with a fan exhaust that goes out through a conduit that I run to a window, but it's kind of a pain in the ass...
I guess the other main option is to wear a mask, open a window, and just not worry about it.. lol

I feel woefully inadequate here, I put an old sheet out on the lawn and off I go!

I used to paint outside until I learned about the joys of humidity. I'm in OH and a good day in summer would be 70% humidity. It's usually 90% or so! I remember my dad, who did custom paintjobs on all his Corvettes (until I was born in 77 and ruined that :lol:), watched me set up and didn't say a thing until I saw the paint job on my first airbrushed model (probably around 1991). He just said "That's how you learn."

Anyone have a suggestion for a setup in an apartment? Preferably that can be stored away in a closet when not in use?
I supposed I could create a box with a fan exhaust that goes out through a conduit that I run to a window, but it's kind of a pain in the ass...
I guess the other main option is to wear a mask, open a window, and just not worry about it.. lol
Unfortunately the mask doesn't solve the overspray getting all over the furniture and floor of your apartment.
Even a simple air filter in a box with a fan venting through a dryer hose out the window will make your life better. And longer.

Definitely DIY. I used the design from Ventworks (DIY Hobby Spray Booth) and modified it to be wider at the front and with a more powerful Dayton blower, but their design is excellent.
6F4F58A0-AC3E-4521-BD84-9915ADB478A7.jpeg

My spray booth is on the left side of my workbench. It's made from MDF and a cheap medicine cabinet from HD. I needed a box-shape for a plenum, and it was actually less expensive to buy the medicine cabinet than a piece of wood and the hardware, not to mention the time it would take me to build one. It holds a 14x25 furnace filter, and it's exhausted by a Dayton blower. I made the top so it could lift up and give me more space. Recently I replaced the 1/4" MDF top with 1/2" MDF, since I was almost constantly using it as a shelf anyway, so I made it a little stronger. I also added some cup hooks to the ceiling of the booth, so I can hang stuff to dry. The spraying surface is about 30"x 30", and I've never come close to using it all. I've got an LED light in it, and that gooseneck lamp, which gives tons of light in the booth.
I HIGHLY recommend a spray booth. Anything that smells gets done in there. Mixing resin, epoxy, RTV, cleaning my airbrush, you name it. It's definitely a lung-saver.

Attachments

• 20190626_093100_HDR.jpg
    20190626_093100_HDR.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 113

I've seen some modelers use a clean plastic storage bin, modified with a filter and fan and set on its side. When you're done you can place your spray equipment (airbrush, etc.) inside, snap the lid on and store it away.

I've seen some modelers use a clean plastic storage bin, modified with a filter and fan and set on its side. When you're done you can place your spray equipment (airbrush, etc.) inside, snap the lid on and store it away.
This is an interesting idea. The only question is whether pulling air through/into the filter would stop enough to be self sufficient or whether I'd need a conduit running to a window for the exhaust. I could do a conduit as long as it's a collapsable one that I can set up only while in use. I'll need to experiment with this..

I'm in the same situation. I was thinking about going the DIY route but decided (next pay) on getting a portable booth. As much as I'd like to make one, I just don't have the space.

I'm in the same situation. I was thinking about going the DIY route but decided (next pay) on getting a portable booth. As much as I'd like to make one, I just don't have the space.

You can build a collapsible one. I build mine out of wood and use it for helmets and other large items, but you can construct one from cardboard or extend one from a smaller booth. You just need to ensure you have an adequate fan to capture the fumes and dust.

TazMan2000

1. Do you need/use a spray booth for your models/parts
  2. If yes, do you use a manufactured one or a DIY?
  3. If DIY what did you use
1. Yes. it's bad to breath spray paint. it helps to get rid of the smells as well as the fumes.
2. Manufactured
3. you can save a lot of money using spare parts/trash. my first booth was made using MFD sheet, a car heater blower and a 12volt train power supply.

I beg to disagree, but I don't think you actually need a spray booth, although I think it's much more comfortable and handy to have one.

You can do just fine with a half-mask respirator, a clean room (no dust!) and a six hinches or so extractor fan on the window (the window holding the rear exhaust part). Then if you're a painting nerd like me, know that I use garbage bags to cover the table and the surroundings of my painting spot and then I clean everything with a wet cloth to make sure no dust will be moving around my model. Then after painting I cover the model with another garbage bag. I have no issues with dust and the room is breathable after a while. If you're gonna paint the next day, clean the plastic bags with a wet cloth cause they're a dust-magnet. So I guess I'm using my whole room as a paint booth with me inside. But that's just me being a nerd. No need for garbage bags.

Now that said, if I had the space for an airbrush booth... hell yeah I would make one and use it. I would put a door on it to be able to close it so that I could clean the inside every now and then rather than to be messing around with garbage bags for every single paint session. That alone would motivate me to paint more.

So I'd say a spray booth is more practical, but not critical.

I beg to disagree, but I don't think you actually need a spray booth, although I think it's much more comfortable and handy to have one.

You can do just fine with a half-mask respirator, a clean room (no dust!) and a six hinches or so extractor fan on the window (the window holding the rear exhaust part). Then if you're a painting nerd like me, know that I use garbage bags to cover the table and the surroundings of my painting spot and then I clean everything with a wet cloth to make sure no dust will be moving around my model. Then after painting I cover the model with another garbage bag. I have no issues with dust and the room is breathable after a while. If you're gonna paint the next day, clean the plastic bags with a wet cloth cause they're a dust-magnet. So I guess I'm using my whole room as a paint booth with me inside. But that's just me being a nerd. No need for garbage bags.

Now that said, if I had the space for an airbrush booth... hell yeah I would make one and use it. I would put a door on it to be able to close it so that I could clean the inside every now and then rather than to be messing around with garbage bags for every single paint session. That alone would motivate me to paint more.

So I'd say a spray booth is more practical, but not critical.
It sounds like you made the most compelling post of why one NEEDS a spraybooth XD.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back