Spot Putty Softening Resin?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently received a raw cast of roblenzz's Cap TFA helmet, and started prepping it for paint. The cast was very clean, so there was only very minor clean-up work to do. I sanded a couple of rough areas down, and used some Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty to fill in a few areas. Using the putty, I put very light "skim" coats over the areas that needed it, and removed the excess. Once it dried I sanded it smooth and threw some primer over the whole thing.

After that dried I noticed a couple of soft spots that, at the time, I believed to be just the paint bubbling up. I used my hobby knife to remove the bubble (and planned on just sanding the area down again and glazing with the putty again), but I noticed that a thin layer of the resin had actually separated with the paint. I thought it was strange, but continued on. After the next round of putty/prime/sand, I now have 2 more soft spots about the size of a quarter.

I did a little more reading and discovered that if too much of the solvent used in the putty makes contact with the resin, it will soften it. I didn't think I used that much, but I guess I did. So my question is, will those areas reharden? Or is there anything I can do to shore those areas up?

The overall shape of the helmet is still intact, so I'm not overly concerned about it. I just don't want to have more issues crop up from this later if they can be addressed now.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.