Luke's Lightsaber Mando series finale.

This is a lot harder than I thought :) Looking forward to seeing a Starkiller run! I'm gonna work on the proportions more or maybe I should just leave it to the pros :)

Attachments

• 01000722.jpg
    01000722.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 184
  • 01000720.jpg
    01000720.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 182
This is a lot harder than I thought :) Looking forward to seeing a Starkiller run! I'm gonna work on the proportions more or maybe I should just leave it to the pros :)
I have absolutely zero experience with 3D printing and modeling, but for proportions...

A tried and true method for me is eye-balling. It's not precision accurate. However, I've seen lots of people (and done it myself) go through lots of calculations and end up with something that visually looks way off. I've done this on paper, thought my math was correct, but ended up with a part that was too big. Calculations are really important, but sometimes it's best to eye-ball it.

I use ratios.. compared to other parts that I know are accurate. If a bolt head is 1/4 the size of the lightsaber handle, and the handle is 20mm, the bolt head is probably around 5mm. Then I play around with 4, 5 or 6, to see if it looks better. Recently, trying to find the size of things on a Graflex based saber, I measured the details of the graflex with calipers, and compared those real numbers to the part I was trying to ID, seeing if it was bigger or smaller, and how much.

I've had very successful results, and have used it to eyeball when machining and working on items too. I mean, this isn't for work - I imagine machinists don't have this luxury

I have absolutely zero experience with 3D printing and modeling, but for proportions...

A tried and true method for me is eye-balling. It's not precision accurate. However, I've seen lots of people (and done it myself) go through lots of calculations and end up with something that visually looks way off. I've done this on paper, thought my math was correct, but ended up with a part that was too big. Calculations are really important, but sometimes it's best to eye-ball it.

I use ratios.. compared to other parts that I know are accurate. If a bolt head is 1/4 the size of the lightsaber handle, and the handle is 20mm, the bolt head is probably around 5mm. Then I play around with 4, 5 or 6, to see if it looks better. Recently, trying to find the size of things on a Graflex based saber, I measured the details of the graflex with calipers, and compared those real numbers to the part I was trying to ID, seeing if it was bigger or smaller, and how much.

I've had very successful results, and have used it to eyeball when machining and working on items too. I mean, this isn't for work - I imagine machinists don't have this luxury
To be honest tom. Before I learned how to scale stuff in photoshop, well before I even had photoshop I use to blow the image up on my ipad and do exactly what you said. Found something in the photo I could get a measurement off of in real life. And once I got that then I had everything else

But now with photoshop it’s really quick and easy

Thanks for the tips everyone :) Through a mixture of measuring what I have here with calipers and just general eyeballing, I think it's getting pretty gosh darn close. I'm going to do one more test print then it's up on thingiverse!

Attachments

• mandosaber-sidebyside-01.jpg
    mandosaber-sidebyside-01.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 233
  • mandosaber-sidebyside-02.jpg
    mandosaber-sidebyside-02.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 233
  • mandosaber-sidebyside-03.jpg
    mandosaber-sidebyside-03.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 222
  • mandosaber-sidebyside-04.jpg
    mandosaber-sidebyside-04.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 221
  • mandosaber-sidebyside-05.jpg
    mandosaber-sidebyside-05.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 248
I check every day in hopes that I haven’t missed the sign up thread! Haha
Oh no no no, trust me, when this happens I’ll be jumping around like a little girl throwing it everywhere. If you are subscribed to my YouTube channel, and follow my Facebook, you won’t miss it ;)

Oh no no no, trust me, when this happens I’ll be jumping around like a little girl throwing it everywhere. If you are subscribed to my YouTube channel, and follow my Facebook, you won’t miss it ;)
Oh yeah, been subscribed to your channel for a few years now. Taking a good long break from Facebook though. How’s the KR Reyflex coming along?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back