Luke's Lightsaber Mando series finale.

There are several "Archives".
There is the original Archive building at Skywalker Ranch, that was enlarged in the 90's (I believe) because it was getting too cramped.
During the Prequels, another overflow archive was set up in the Napa area, and this is where the majority of prequel stuff went.
And then there is the Disney Archive.

When George made the deal with Disney, he sold them the companies (ILM & Lucasfilm), the proprietary technology and the intellectual properties for his films. However, George kept all the physical properties like Skywalker Ranch, the Archives (and all their contents) as well the Letterman complex where ILM lives. (Side note: Disney owns ILM, but is paying rent to George because he still owns the buildings they are in).

So Disney doesn't have any of the original props from the first 6 films - only the props from the films that they've made. George still owns all the original stuff.
I'm certain that Disney is granted access to the archives for reference; but to the best of my knowledge, they don't get to use any of it.
That's why all the Disney Star Wars productions have used newly made stuff and incorporated fans (501st) and fan props (R2's , etc...) in their movies, because it's faster and cheaper, and the research is done.

So I agree that it is possible that fan made hilts may have been used - perhaps modified, or parts used. We did that back on the prequels too.
I worked on the 2nd Vader reveal mask for Ep 3 (the original was on tour), and we used some fan made parts (like tusks) because they were cheaper than doing it ourselves and we were in a hurry. Always in a hurry. "Close enough" was the rule - as much as we may have wanted to indulge our personal fan sides.
This is fantastic information and explained so much!

There is the original Archive building at Skywalker Ranch, that was enlarged in the 90's (I believe) because it was getting too cramped.
During the Prequels, another overflow archive was set up in the Napa area, and this is where the majority of prequel stuff went.

When George made the deal with Disney, he sold them the companies (ILM & Lucasfilm), the proprietary technology and the intellectual properties for his films. However, George kept all the physical properties like Skywalker Ranch, the Archives (and all their contents) as well the Letterman complex where ILM lives. (Side note: Disney owns ILM, but is paying rent to George because he still owns the buildings they are in).

So Disney doesn't have any of the original props from the first 6 films - only the props from the films that they've made. George still owns all the original stuff.
I'm certain that Disney is granted access to the archives for reference; but to the best of my knowledge, they don't get to use any of it.
That's why all the Disney Star Wars productions have used newly made stuff and incorporated fans (501st) and fan props (R2's , etc...) in their movies, because it's faster and cheaper, and the research is done.

So I agree that it is possible that fan made hilts may have been used - perhaps modified, or parts used. We did that back on the prequels too.
I worked on the 2nd Vader reveal mask for Ep 3 (the original was on tour), and we used some fan made parts (like tusks) because they were cheaper than doing it ourselves and we were in a hurry. Always in a hurry. "Close enough" was the rule - as much as we may have wanted to indulge our personal fan sides.
amazing!! thank you for taking the time and not just answering this, but explaining the whole entire thing. this is been a question of mine for years, thank you very very much!

I think this is my favorite post on the whole RPF. Some amazing insight into something I've always wondered!

Off topic from versions here, but I absolutely love the finish they have given to metal stuff in the Mandalorian. Particularly how the aluminum and copper neck is finished on this new saber, it's just so pleasing! I know they have some beautifully diffused stage lighting, but it's just so satisfyingly buffed, not mirror shiny but also not scratched up matte.

So I wanted to show off my Mando Luke hilt that I’ve been obsessing over for almost a year now.

So just a heads up, I know that this is not 100% screen accurate and I’ve been through most of these pages. This is just what I can do with what we have available right now. More than likely, I will purchase a new Mando Luke hilt if or when someone does a run.

The main hilt is the infamous MOM hilt from 7C/ VL and I did a few modifications. I put in the idealized grip section, put on the beryllium copper neck, purchased a few washers from TCCS to try to get the tri-ring in the orientation that I’m seeing in the behind the scenes screen grabs. I also purchased a TLJ style clamp card from Sloth Furnace to better match the more brass colored bars on the control box as well as purchasing a ROTJ emitter and tri- ring from the guy who put out the Korbanth Hero Supreme from several months back (yes, the tri-ring is smaller from what they used for the scene but it’s the only one I was able to source).

For anyone wondering, this emitter cap actually fits perfectly on the MOM hilt. I know there has been some debate as to if the emitter plate is slightly smaller in diameter as compared to the MOM emitter plate and to my eyes, it appears that way.

If anyone happens to have a larger tri-ring like the Creepy Uncle hilt has, please let me know because I’d love to take that off your hands.

Anyways, I figured I’d show off what I did with my MOM hilt to make it look more like it did in that unexpectedly, amazing scene that we’ve all been wanting for so long now.

Thank you to Dan (and I think Bryan) for the screen grabs.

Attachments

• 900FE176-4505-4677-85EB-DC29BD09C99C.jpeg
    900FE176-4505-4677-85EB-DC29BD09C99C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 362
  • 311B02D7-BB50-46E9-B504-F970441FF97E.jpeg
    311B02D7-BB50-46E9-B504-F970441FF97E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 342
  • 5DEC742B-7AFF-4B82-BA23-71EDAA00C5C3.jpeg
    5DEC742B-7AFF-4B82-BA23-71EDAA00C5C3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 332
  • 016F31DF-DDCD-437A-A841-C09ABE2834F4.jpeg
    016F31DF-DDCD-437A-A841-C09ABE2834F4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 347
  • 6D0D4F6D-B696-489E-A068-1954C439BECE.png
    6D0D4F6D-B696-489E-A068-1954C439BECE.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 351
  • 97FB4233-F27C-4176-981C-D4F49645D045.png
    97FB4233-F27C-4176-981C-D4F49645D045.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 393
Just to make sure I haven't missed anything, no one at this time is doing a Mando Luke run yet, correct? I've been following this thread and seen people talk about the potentials of doing a run, but I haven't seen any official posts about runs yet.

I'm finding it really hard to find a proper Mando / Rylo / Elstree model file online so i'm going to try and make one that can be an STL that I'll 3d print :) It's been a while since I spent some time in Blender but I'll be chucking this on Thingiverse when I get it successfully modeled and exported! I'm going to work really hard on nailing that pommel, getting the control box looking correct and tweaking the rings to the right size.

1637247040288.png

1637248334082.png

Last edited:
Your model looks great. But, I wouldn't base the design on the original Elstree saber, since there's very little chance that it was used or connected to production. What people have speculated is that the crew might have used a Rylo replica of the Elstree, which has its own idiosyncrasies and proportions. So, I'd recommend starting with photos of the Mandalorian show itself or of Rylo's replica.

Cool, I thought I'd start with that one for a basis as there's a pretty good orthographic image of it to trace and then use the Mando / Rylo stills to tweak it to match. I'd say the house built stunt saber with a Rylo emitter is what I'm going for. Any tips for a noob of things to look out for?

Ok folks let me help ya'll out a bit. I said it before. Its not a rylo. They did not buy them. All of them were made in house. They have full access to anything in the archives. I can say that legally now. I can also say that the on camera stunt saber was a very simple custom neopixel setup. No sound no bells and whistles. Just on and off with the scrolling effect. They kept everything in house on this one. Come on guys, this was baby yoda for S2.

Last edited:
Ok folks let me help ya'll out a bit. I said it before. Its not a rylo. They did not buy them. All of them were made in house. They have full access to anything in the archives. I can say that legally now. I can also say that the on camera stunt saber was a very simple custom neopixel setup. No sound no bells and whistles. Just on and off with the scrolling effect. They kept everything in house on this one. Come on guys, this was baby yoda for S2.
Awesome info :) I'm gonna continue tweaking the model against Mandolorian stills!

1637325016994.png

It's coming along! I definitely haven't nailed the pommel (and I might not have the skills in blender to really do so) but I feel it's in the ball park. Going in and hyper detailing sizes, this one has a shorter brass thin neck than the Yuma, Creepy Uncle, Esltree, maybe even the Rylo? It's got a slightly longer end cap piece going out past the pommel sticky out bits too. No nipple screw hole in the side... can't think of anything else! This weekend I'm going to model out the tri-ring and then start separating it into 3D printable bits. I'll post the Blender file too in case anyone wants to get on the CNC :D I don't even know how that works! Is there a ballpark length for this saber?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back