SPOILER Is this the NEW Proton Pack?

RexKramer

Sr Member
CNU9ynd.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this.

The wand is cool, but the I don't like the metal mesh and the bars covering up almost the entire bottom section.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Looks suck a** compared to the original, like someone wanted to make a quick easy cheap version with no thought to the sci-fi function it would accomplish.
This movie is screwed.

Im going to probably go against the mob here and say that I actually like it. Yes its very different. It reminds me of some of the fan made "updated/modern" packs i have seen at cons.

Do movie studios ever release part list/blueprints for things like this or are they concered "trade secrets"

Looks suck a** compared to the original, like someone wanted to make a quick easy cheap version with no thought to the sci-fi function it would accomplish.
This movie is screwed.

Style of pack may very well fit into story - more of a DIY/garage deal.

PS
Shocked, SHOCKED that y'all haven't totally sussed out what all the parts are from ;)

I like it. Looks like something that a small group of people put together on a small budget, like the originals.

just showed it to my 10 year old son and his response ----- "What the heck?, they ruined it, it's a fan!!!!!!"

Style of pack may very well fit into story - more of a DIY/garage deal.

PS
Shocked, SHOCKED that y'all haven't totally sussed out what all the parts are from ;)

Yeah where are our part sleuths. I texted my wife over lunch a picture and her only responds was "build it for me".

Would sony release a part list?

Edit: Im honstly shocked they revealed the packs. I would think that would be something they would wait for the movie

I like it and I don't.

Here are the jumpsuits and boots.

am5scVS.jpg

Not sure what the 'gauntlet' looking things are on the bottom. Maybe this fits over a boot? That, IMO, would look dumb.

It's not bad...but not great either. The center meshed bit reminds me of Iron Man's arc reactor he built in the cave; the circular copper wiring gives me the impression. It looks a little too homemade; especially since this is something that puts out nuclear accelerated particles. Since this isn't the 80s and nuclear power isn't a hot topic, it probably will be generating electricity via some other means to get the proper ionization-rate.

I think it is really difficult to redesign/update an iconic piece of film prop equipment. Even the Extreme Ghostbusters proton pack and trap took engineering and had some understandable reasoning for needing more powerful equipment.

Actually, what I am wondering is if this might be the prototype of the original equipment. Then it'd make a lot more sense as to why it looks old and slapped together.

I see copper lines, 1/2 or 3/4, soldered to the number display and a brass valve with green handle by the wand (putting my plumbing practices to good use. haha).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's me but this looks "functional". Now what exactly what the function is we don't really know right now. It just looks like it really works. The originals to me seemed too neat and too well built...too clean. This looks mean and nasty. I'm looking forward to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Let me just add that this will be great for couples. Now the men and the women can have their own suits that are screen accurate for trooping.

when looking at it, it feels rushed to me...

are for sourcing parts it looks like the top of a kobold tool box they used for the bottom section, and allot of 3/4" copper plumbing elbows and streets

I think it's just really boring looking. Like when I see the ones from the originals I think, "whoa, what's that?!" These, I'm just kind of like, "well that's just a bunch of junk from the hardware store that they slapped together."

Someone on facebook attempted to figure out the parts, though I can't make any claims as to their accuracy.
FB_IMG_1435704464081.jpg

Edit: I meant to add that to me, it looks like Dengar's pack from ESB.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back