SPOILER Is this the NEW Proton Pack?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by RexKramer, Jun 30, 2015.

1. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not sure how I feel about this.

The wand is cool, but the I don't like the metal mesh and the bars covering up almost the entire bottom section.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks suck a** compared to the original, like someone wanted to make a quick easy cheap version with no thought to the sci-fi function it would accomplish.
    This movie is screwed.

noble likes this.
  3. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I quite liked it... maybe because I thought they would have it look like it was made by apple...

Usagi Pilgrim and cavx like this.
  4. kyle0914

kyle0914 Active Member

Im going to probably go against the mob here and say that I actually like it. Yes its very different. It reminds me of some of the fan made "updated/modern" packs i have seen at cons.

Do movie studios ever release part list/blueprints for things like this or are they concered "trade secrets"

5. holtt

holtt Active Member

Style of pack may very well fit into story - more of a DIY/garage deal.

PS
    Shocked, SHOCKED that y'all haven't totally sussed out what all the parts are from ;)

6. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

I like it. Looks like something that a small group of people put together on a small budget, like the originals.

7. my3es

my3es Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

just showed it to my 10 year old son and his response ----- "What the heck?, they ruined it, it's a fan!!!!!!"

Wes R likes this.
  8. kyle0914

kyle0914 Active Member

Yeah where are our part sleuths. I texted my wife over lunch a picture and her only responds was "build it for me".

Would sony release a part list?

Edit: Im honstly shocked they revealed the packs. I would think that would be something they would wait for the movie

9. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

The heart in the radiation sticker is cute, tho.

10. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

I like it and I don't.

Here are the jumpsuits and boots.

[​IMG]

Not sure what the 'gauntlet' looking things are on the bottom. Maybe this fits over a boot? That, IMO, would look dumb.

11. NoRoads88

NoRoads88 New Member

It's not bad...but not great either. The center meshed bit reminds me of Iron Man's arc reactor he built in the cave; the circular copper wiring gives me the impression. It looks a little too homemade; especially since this is something that puts out nuclear accelerated particles. Since this isn't the 80s and nuclear power isn't a hot topic, it probably will be generating electricity via some other means to get the proper ionization-rate.

I think it is really difficult to redesign/update an iconic piece of film prop equipment. Even the Extreme Ghostbusters proton pack and trap took engineering and had some understandable reasoning for needing more powerful equipment.

Actually, what I am wondering is if this might be the prototype of the original equipment. Then it'd make a lot more sense as to why it looks old and slapped together.

I see copper lines, 1/2 or 3/4, soldered to the number display and a brass valve with green handle by the wand (putting my plumbing practices to good use. haha).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  12. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe it's me but this looks "functional". Now what exactly what the function is we don't really know right now. It just looks like it really works. The originals to me seemed too neat and too well built...too clean. This looks mean and nasty. I'm looking forward to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Let me just add that this will be great for couples. Now the men and the women can have their own suits that are screen accurate for trooping.

Usagi Pilgrim and d_jedi1 like this.
  13. Darksyde13

Darksyde13 Active Member

I wonder if they'll have 'the tube' duh duh dunnnnnnn

14. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

when looking at it, it feels rushed to me...

are for sourcing parts it looks like the top of a kobold tool box they used for the bottom section, and allot of 3/4" copper plumbing elbows and streets

15. kyle0914

kyle0914 Active Member

16. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it's just really boring looking. Like when I see the ones from the originals I think, "whoa, what's that?!" These, I'm just kind of like, "well that's just a bunch of junk from the hardware store that they slapped together."

halliwax likes this.
  17. NoRoads88

NoRoads88 New Member

Its crude design is also a reflection of our economy. Unlike the 80s, you can't get three mortgages on your house nowadays.

18. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like a spaghetti strainer, some pipe and a drawer organizer. Home Depot / Walmart housewares kit bash.

Wes R and LTsmash1200 like this.
  19. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

It looks like a homemade leaf blower.
    TazMan2000

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  20. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

Someone on facebook attempted to figure out the parts, though I can't make any claims as to their accuracy.
    FB_IMG_1435704464081.jpg

Edit: I meant to add that to me, it looks like Dengar's pack from ESB.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  21. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...aaaand this is why I love my wife. She took one look at this and said, "That black box on the bottom is either the ghost trap or some type of 'collector'. Why else would they have a handle right in the middle of it?"

I'm a lucky man :love

Walter likes this.
  22. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

Perhaps this pack incorporates the trap as well... In which case, this isn't Ghostbusters, it's Luigi's Mansion.
    [​IMG]

Wes R and LTsmash1200 like this.
  23. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

It seems like something from the Ghostbusters extreme cartoon adapted for a live-action film.

24. Luke Skyvader

Luke Skyvader Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is a comedy before anything else.

Might the busters have fallen on hard times?

Personally I like it but let's be clear, the props didn't make the first two movies...it was the ride.

Darth Lars likes this.
  25. halliwax

the caution tape right next to me it makes me believe that as well

26. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Compared to the original, this looks like junk thrown together. It looks like a rushed prop made a week before Halloween or a con. I'm really trying to keep an open mind but it keeps getting worse. I kind of want this movie to flop to be honest.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  27. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

28. WhillB

WhillB Active Member

* insert Darth Vader mem* Noooooooooooo!

It looks like a cheap 80's spin off/remake by a different (and cheaper) studio. Like that cartoon "The Real Ghostbusters" where everything looked different from the movies.

I haven't been following the storyline (if there is one) but why wouldn't they have used the original design? Or, at least something much more similar.

I really dislike this.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  29. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I quite like it actually. It has more of a steampunk appearance to it. The round part indeed reminds me of a fan. Maybe they had to disign that part a bit different. But the wand looks great, and also the cable(s) from it to the back, holded together with straps, look great too.

But as said before, it's not the props that make the movie... Although the DeLorean from BTTF is one of the examples where the prop helps making the movie iconic ;).

30. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It does not look like it packs a lot of punch. Yes, the Noisy cricket did not either, but that was a gag build up.

31. CynicalMormon

CynicalMormon Member

I wonder if there's other lighting effects that we're not seeing... perhaps some glowing, etc. put in post digitally? One twitter pic doesn't make or break it for me, seeing it in action is the key.

32. bigbisont

bigbisont Active Member

Looks heavy with lots of solid parts. How do they think those chicks will tote it around with their little girly arms?

*looks over each shoulder, ducks, and braces for feminist backlash.*;)

33. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I like it. I think it invokes the original, which also looks thrown together and made of junk from the garage. It's never been an elegant looking prop.

34. Cam McFly

Cam McFly Active Member

This is probably just the first version that they are going to use in the first half of the movie before they update to the classics. Or use this version until the climax. I highly doubt that this is the final version.

35. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

No zipper on the boots? As soon as they have tied up their laces, the city has taken over by ghosts...

Hm, I don't like the packs, they look... I dont know... less advantaged as the GB 1 or 2 Packs... Of course something a weird scientist could put together, but not really something what makes you "excited" about the functions...

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  36. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

37. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the look of this pack, it looks more functional to me than whatever the originals were made from, but then again, I was never all that crazy about the first Ghostbusters, anyway.

38. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

39. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

40. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

I made it myself. The "toolbox" is actually one part I couldn't find something quick for. I built it out of foamcore, washers and plastic.

41. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I do like the proton pack. I DO NOT like the new ecto1, though:

CJW6vnDWcAATGo5.jpg large.jpg

42. halliwax

^ yup i don't like it either... i have come to the conclusion you can't have ghostbusters without the 80s grunge. and 80s grunge doesn't fit in this world today, i refer to this day and age as "sleek" everything smooth and clean... just not feeling anything with this movie..

43. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Wrong thread

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  44. Grey

Grey Sr Member

You're right, acting and talent do and they don't have any of that either.

45. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

Looks better than the car, anyway.

46. CynicalMormon

CynicalMormon Member

Not sure if anyone saw these but they come straight from the director.
    Figured it might be useful.
    CJFFXAhUcAEZrZD.jpg-large-2.jpeg CJJyyitWIAA11AK.jpg-large-2.jpeg CJQXIcNUcAApwbn.jpg-large-2.jpeg

47. halliwax

48. ltbries

ltbries New Member

No! Wait, I figured out what they're going for!!!
    GhostBackpack.png

49. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, I am thinking this film will be a case of "lets wait for the Blu-ray".

50. Welsh Pirate

Welsh Pirate New Member

I actually really like it. That might be in part due to my expectations of them making the pack too sleek, like it had been designed in a computer and custom machined. But I'm really glad they stuck to the "junk drawer build" look that made 80's sci-fi props so awesome. My one major nitpick would be that they should've put the rectangular drawer on the top and the circular part on the bottom, to further invoke the overall gestalt of the original.

Everything else about the movie looks to be a hot mess, but at the very least we got a pretty cool alternative proton pack prop to build! Now I'm interested in seeing what the trap and PKE meter look like.