Splitting a Torso in half.

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Tinman, Mar 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Im well into a build for Gordon Freemans HEV suit, and I was wondering what the general thoughts were for cutting into two halves. I plan on building the back as a sort of backpack that i will wear and tighten down, then clip the front on with old HDD magnets.

Point is, how do you guys decide where to cut? Further to the back to hide the cut or more towards the front? The HEV chest piece has a lot of material along the sides so making the cut non-visible will be tricky, and Id like to keep it as seamless as possible.

Thanks all,
    Tinman

2. Matchbox

Matchbox Active Member

ha this was a hard design decision for me too (also building a HEV suit) with a few custom mods!

Around the front along the lines that go down to the bottom of the logo'd section, so you put your head through it and over your shoulders then clip the middle of the torso into place!

For a better/visual description this is how I did it:
    http://www.therpf.com/f24/h-e-v-suit-build-start-finish-202179/

about half way through?

also unless you get the joining sections bang on the magnets aren't great... in my experience anyway, those clips you get on bags are good!

/M

3. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Yours looks like its coming along very nicely, and thanks for the insight, I think I will give the clips a try first, easy to prototype those and discard if I dont like them. Ill have to post pictures of mine.

I plan on adding Gordons Flashlight into one of the shoulder areas of mine at some point. Not sure if its built into the suit or not, but it would give it a bit of 'me' I guess.

4. Matchbox

Matchbox Active Member

Thanks, yeah clips are the way forward, if you can, make the torso a little bit bigger than you need, I find it really hard to get hands in to do up the clips myself so need help, and even then it's tricky! I would be interested to see some progress on yours :)

I always thought the torch would be built into the arms, if you look at the pep file the little bump up on the top of the forearm looks like it should hold a mag light or something, that's the idea I modelled my custom bracer around.