Spirited Away boiler token

P7270250.jpg

Flawless. I love them. :love::love::love:

I went a lot darker with #3 to try and make the brass stand out a bit more. It is virtually impossible (for me anyway) to light all the textures in a flattering way at the same time, but...

P8140017.jpg

P8140010.jpg

The brass tends to look the most like what you see when it's in your hand under extremely low light, which makes for extremely bad color photography.

P8100002.jpg

Last edited:
For #4 I wanted to get away from relying on the chipping so much and add some extra dimensionality in the form of spider cracks. It took a great deal of time to figure out the best way to go about this but I've been pretty happy with the overall results which were achieved via a combination of Vallejo crackle medium and PVA glue.

I actually cracked this one clean in half in press fitting the brass piece in an attempt to produce some more realistic distressing around the inlay pocket, but even though it gave me a heart attack I think it just added to the charm in the end.

CrackedTokenCloseup2.jpg

CrackedTokenCloseup1.jpg

P9120012[Sep 12 2019 10-57 PM].jpg

I love watching every new iteration of this project as your techniques evolve. Always excited to see a notification from this thread.

A very gracious patron picked up #4 and lamented the lack of a "set" of variations. Since I just quit a horrible job and have had more time to kill between recruiter calls, I decided to let the process prove itself on a couple different styles, including one without any metalwork.

They're far from done, but I've been happy with the way things have gone so far.

_X130021[Oct 13 2019 6-32 PM].jpg

I don't want to run afoul of forum rules prohibiting such transactions but I am using this group of them to figure out exactly how much time goes into each one now that I'm largely done with the experimentation so I can throw some on Etsy or something.

I must also echo the prior sentiments of seeing items from animation being realized into tangible objects.

Everything about this project is wonderful. Keep up the great work!

Hopefully this isn't a violation of the forum rules, but I threw these three up on the Etsy block. I promise I shall make no further mentions of this.

I have never used Etsy before so if I donked anything up let me know. I am horrified by what they do to uploaded photos in terms of compression and color shifting even from sRGB. I complained at a guy I know who works there but I'll have to try to work within their strange constraints a little better next time.

Hopefully this isn't a violation of the forum rules, but I threw these three up on the Etsy block. I promise I shall make no further mentions of this.

I have never used Etsy before so if I donked anything up let me know. I am horrified by what they do to uploaded photos in terms of compression and color shifting even from sRGB. I complained at a guy I know who works there but I'll have to try to work within their strange constraints a little better next time.

Selling HERE requires special rules. But, You're linking to an external site for Display and Payment, so you're good.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back