Spider-Man Suit inspired by Gabriele Dell'Otto

Sinkin

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi and thank you for stopping by! It's been a while since I last visited this forum, but I'm more than happy to be back. A lot of crazy good stuff people have made here, super impressed.

Why do want to make this?
Alright, let's get started. To make a long story short, I love Gabriele Dell'Otto's illustrations of Spider-Man and it blows my mind that there is so little cosplay related stuff made from his take on the character. I absolutely love the darker tone of the design he's doing and I think it would look really cool to have a real life suit of it.

Do you have anything to show?
I'm currently designing a first pass of the mask pattern which takes time since the webbing changes a bit from each illustration. So I'm trying to find a good middle ground between all iterations of the webbing.

Just as a side note, I'm going to design everything from scratch, meaning that I won't be using any pre-made suit patterns or anything in that sense.

But for now take care everyone and be safe!
 

Captain Rogers

Well-Known Member
Dell’otto is one of my favorite comic artists. I have his Secret War run, which is probably one of my favorite Marvel comics storylines. Excited to see your progress!
 

Sinkin

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The first pass of the mask is almost done and will be transferred over to PS for refining! Fabric is ordered and will hopefully arrive next week!
 

Sinkin

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Dell’otto is one of my favorite comic artists. I have his Secret War run, which is probably one of my favorite Marvel comics storylines. Excited to see your progress!
His work is truly amazing. I got one of his collection books with tons of illustrations, great source material for this project! But the hard part, as I stated in the first post, is to find a good middle ground on the design. Not only does the webbing change but also the spider symbols for the chest and back but that's the fun part, challenges are a good thing when you reach a desired end result!
 

Sinkin

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update 0.5 (A small little update)

Last week was a hand full. Not a lot of work went into this project, a lot of family stuff that ended with me getting a kidney stone. Painkillers and a lot of water will sort that out, so no worries there haha.

Alright, the mask pattern is still in an early production stage, but the fabric have arrived for it. So once the pattern is fine tuned in Photoshop I can begin to make a first pass of the mask to see what needs to be altered in terms of seam lines, webbing and so on. The other thing I've been working on is the front spider symbol. It's been a challenge to say the least since the symbol is slightly changed with each illustration. So finding a mix between them all wasn't easy. I also wanted to go for a bit more "movie" styled spider with it being raised and include bevels. I looked at the spider symbol from the unused Civil War suit and added that raindrop type of shape to the spider's head and body. I did a quick and dirty test to see how it would fit together and it looks promising. But I still need to tweak the overall shape of the spider, I think the head needs to be brought down in size just a little bit.

I'll attach the mock up of the symbol paired with a bust.

Hopefully I'll have more interesting progress to share later this month! Take care and be safe!
 

Attachments

  • bust_with_symbol.png
    bust_with_symbol.png
    640.9 KB · Views: 71

Captain Rogers

Well-Known Member
Update 0.5 (A small little update)

Last week was a hand full. Not a lot of work went into this project, a lot of family stuff that ended with me getting a kidney stone. Painkillers and a lot of water will sort that out, so no worries there haha.

Alright, the mask pattern is still in an early production stage, but the fabric have arrived for it. So once the pattern is fine tuned in Photoshop I can begin to make a first pass of the mask to see what needs to be altered in terms of seam lines, webbing and so on. The other thing I've been working on is the front spider symbol. It's been a challenge to say the least since the symbol is slightly changed with each illustration. So finding a mix between them all wasn't easy. I also wanted to go for a bit more "movie" styled spider with it being raised and include bevels. I looked at the spider symbol from the unused Civil War suit and added that raindrop type of shape to the spider's head and body. I did a quick and dirty test to see how it would fit together and it looks promising. But I still need to tweak the overall shape of the spider, I think the head needs to be brought down in size just a little bit.

I'll attach the mock up of the symbol paired with a bust.

Hopefully I'll have more interesting progress to share later this month! Take care and be safe!
The symbol’s looking good! Sorry to hear about your troubles though. Hope things turn around for you.
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top