Spider-Man Raimi mask

zachklausner47

So I’m making a Spider-Man Sam Raimi style mask and I was wondering if anyone knew how to cast your own urethane webs and where to get the materials I need to do this?

I'm also wondering how to make this material from the webs, the only thing I know is that it's urethane, but then I don't know if I just throw it in the mold and make it, or if I need to do some mixing to get the exact consistency...

I'm also wondering how to make this material from the webs, the only thing I know is that it's urethane, but then I don't know if I just throw it in the mold and make it, or if I need to do some mixing to get the exact consistency...
My plan is to 3d print the web bucks with Ken landrums files then I’m gonna make a silicone mold and poor some urethane with some silver paint mixed in or maybe some graphite

My plan is to 3d print the web bucks with Ken landrums files then I’m gonna make a silicone mold and poor some urethane with some silver paint mixed in or maybe some graphite
I was thinking exactly about doing what you said, but in the case of webs the urethane alone is enough or do you need something more to add to it?

I think the urethane with the paint mixed in should work I’ll let you know how it goes
I found another material with a texture similar to urethane, it is polyflex 20 (or 40) and flexible polyurethane, I think that for me maybe it can work the same way as urethane.

polyflex video:
another video from other brands:

from then on I think it's just a matter of making the mold, mixing it with the web-based paint on the film and gluing it to the fabric.

Any update to this? Man I just wish someone is explain how to make the mold. I just need to mask webs. Heck if any of you even made the webs I’ll buy it from y’all.

Any update to this? Man I just wish someone is explain how to make the mold. I just need to mask webs. Heck if any of you even made the webs I’ll buy it from y’all.
SpideyPlanet makes mask kits with urethane webbing. You could contact them to see if they'd be willing to only sell the webbing.

So I’m making a Spider-Man Sam Raimi style mask and I was wondering if anyone knew how to cast your own urethane webs and where to get the materials I need to do this?
My suggestions:

With Ken's files, 3D print the webs, do some smoothing/sanding, and make a mold out of plaster (or your choice of rigid material). Make sure to use vaseline or some other kind of mold release on the webs so you have an easier time removing it from your new mold after it dries, and you'll want to make sure the surface you are molding on is smooth and flat. I'd recommend finding a way to temporarily stick it to a surface (like with spray adhesive or something) and then pouring the plaster on top of that. I was considering using tape (a bunch of sheets together, with the webs on the sticky part) as thats how I cast dice, but I'm slightly worried about the lines from the tape together. I do know that that make sheets of adhesive material for vinyl stickers though, so that might work too.

I recommend mixing a silver pigment into the urethane rubber before pouring it. After the pour, use a flat edged object (use a squeegee if you have a large enough one, otherwise a plank of wood or piece of cardboard) and spread the urethane rubber around into the webs, and off the surface of the mold, leaving a thin film (I mean preferably no film, but it's almost unavoidable) in the negative spaces around the webs.

After the casting dries, trim the webs and use a sharpie to color in the sides of the webs, leaving the top silver. After it dries for about 24 hours, go ahead and run that, by itself, on the top wrack of your dishwasher.

And there you have your webs.

Materials:
Silver pigment (browse around for what you think will be a good fit, this might not be the best but I haven't tested it myself.)

2 Part Urethane rubber (Do research before you buy on other 2 part rubbers if you want to explore options. Check out the smooth on website for details)

Plaster

Warning: I have not tried this, but I have been planning on doing this for months, so this is just the process I gathered from others in the trade plus what I was going to do based on my own experience.

And honestly, with all the time/money/work you're going to put into this for a mask, it might even be cheaper and easier to buy just the mask webbing from Spidey4Fun. The materials listed together cost more than what they charge for the mask webbing. If you were doing a whole suit or multiple masks? Different story, as the materials and mold would be good for re-use/continued-use.

Happy molding/casting!

Last edited:
My suggestions:

With Ken's files, 3D print the webs, do some smoothing/sanding, and make a mold out of plaster (or your choice of rigid material). Make sure to use vaseline or some other kind of mold release on the webs so you have an easier time removing it from your new mold after it dries, and you'll want to make sure the surface you are molding on is smooth and flat. I'd recommend finding a way to temporarily stick it to a surface (like with spray adhesive or something) and then pouring the plaster on top of that. I was considering using tape (a bunch of sheets together, with the webs on the sticky part) as thats how I cast dice, but I'm slightly worried about the lines from the tape together. I do know that that make sheets of adhesive material for vinyl stickers though, so that might work too.

I recommend mixing a silver pigment into the urethane rubber before pouring it. After the pour, use a flat edged object (use a squeegee if you have a large enough one, otherwise a plank of wood or piece of cardboard) and spread the urethane rubber around into the webs, and off the surface of the mold, leaving a thin film (I mean preferably no film, but it's almost unavoidable) in the negative spaces around the webs.

After the casting dries, trim the webs and use a sharpie to color in the sides of the webs, leaving the top silver. After it dries for about 24 hours, go ahead and run that, by itself, on the top wrack of your dishwasher.

And there you have your webs.

Materials:
Silver pigment (browse around for what you think will be a good fit, this might not be the best but I haven't tested it myself.)

2 Part Urethane rubber (Do research before you buy on other 2 part rubbers if you want to explore options. Check out the smooth on website for details)

Plaster

Warning: I have not tried this, but I have been planning on doing this for months, so this is just the process I gathered from others in the trade plus what I was going to do based on my own experience.

And honestly, with all the time/money/work you're going to put into this for a mask, it might even be cheaper and easier to buy just the mask webbing from Spidey4Fun. The materials listed together cost more than what they charge for the mask webbing. If you were doing a whole suit or multiple masks? Different story, as the materials and mold would be good for re-use/continued-use.

Happy molding/casti
What sort of quantity of urethane would you require for one full body set of webs?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back