Douglascraig

CB739A40-CEFE-4CBA-8D73-BCAB697B9B93.jpeg

I thought I would post a photo of my take on hermione’s SPEW badges from Goblet of Fire. As far as I can tell SPEW was pretty much entirely left out of the movies, but I wanted to make something that I reckoned would fit in with the aesthetic of the wizarding world that we see in the movies. Being muggle-born, hermione probably could’ve got access to a modern badge maker, but I think she would’ve been more likely to use wizarding techniques. Maybe even a similar method to how she made her bewitched gallons for the DA in OotF? We never learn an awful lot about exactly how magical objects are made.

I did the CAD on Rhino, then milled it out in wax on a Revo machine and cast in brass. Soldered on a simple brooch fitting to finish and oxidised the engraved sections to bring up the lettering a bit clearer.

That is really neat! Are you planning on using it on a costume or something?

Wow... you cast your own brass? That is so ambitious. What is a Revo machine?

Thanks!

Originally I made it as part of a hermione costume for a friend. I made a rubber mold though so I might make more in the future when I have a bit more time.

I made this one while at college studying jewellery, so I could use all their equipment. We had on site metal casting (which i took full advantage of) but these days I have to use casting companies. There a loads of good ones these days that will 3D print and cast in metal straight from CAD files, but it can be pricey. Casting from a mould is much cheaper, and brass casting is always dirt cheap compared to precious metals.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back