SPEEDER BIKE

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Miniaturizer Ray

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
swpropmaker wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I always thought to two rear cowlings were the nose of a space shuttle upside down. Also rear flaps were from Flakvierling kit.

Steve
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I'm not really at all sure about this, and even if it's true it's fairly useless information, but I thought perhaps they might have used pulls from the Flying Boat model they made for RAIDERS. I think the sizes work out about right.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

JPolacchi

Sr Member
Flying boat from Raiders of the Lost Ark?You mean the airplane?I'm not sure I know what you mean...was it frma kit,or something ILM scracth built?

Miniaturizer Ray

Yes, the Pan Am Clipper. Like I said, even if it's true, and I'm not at all sure that it is, it's not really useful information, because I presume that the RAIDERS model was scratch built - the model was based on the fullsized plane that was used; a Short Solent, which was never really one of Pan Am's clippers.

swpropmaker

Sr Member
I have no clue about the rear kinda looked like the space shuttle kits were avaiable early 80s who knows. Those shields look like they came from a german AK AK maybe a half track with the flakvierling in the back or the pak 38?? Those with the kits should take a look. My bet its from a german kit... rivet patterns are so simular to flak vierling.

Steve

STEVE THE SWEDE

Sr Member
It's not from the Flack 38 either, I've checked.images/smiles//icon_frown.gif One thing is sure though, it's not scratch built by ILM, I hardly think they would go thru the trouble with all those rivets.

Steve.

lonepigeon

Sr Member
FYI- the studio scale bike is about 33 inches long which is around 84cm. (Toy is too small)

I believe the previous misconceptions of the size are due to the model being mostly scratch built (less found parts than you think).
Joe Johnston has said that the bike was one vehicle designed mostly in 3D. They made a prototype model from all the found parts you guys have been listing, but then rebuilt it from scratch much larger. This is why things don't match up - parts look vaguely familiar, etc.
The engine housings were reworked space shuttle noses on the prototype- you can see the final looks much different.

natty15d

Images from Behind the magic CD

stonky

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The rivets wouldn't be that hard - they'd just be dabs of white glue, or some other similar liquid.

stonky