SPEEDER BIKE

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by autoprops713, May 13, 2003.

1. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

How far off is the POTF 12" Speeder Bike and rider from studio scale? The pics I've seen of the ILM guys manipulating the bikes for blue sceen look close to this toy.

Just curious.

Dave

2. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Do you have any pics of this version or a link to a place that have them for sale? I would love to see a pic of the 12" version.

Steve.

3. autoprops713

4. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

difficult to say from the photos...I only know of a couple kits used to make the studio models.

5. STEVE THE SWEDE

Hmm, hard to tell from the pics, it looks a bit rough though. Do you know how long the toy is?

Steve.

6. autoprops713

No idea about the length, but I was sure some people here had one and would reply. I'll try to grab one off Ebay and measure it myself.

Dave

7. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can measure the Hasbro speeker bike tonight. I don't know the studio scale measurement(s), though.

8. STEVE THE SWEDE

The studio model is suposed to be 81.cm long according to the "best of LFL archives" book.

Steve.

9. autoprops713

Treadwell,

I'll dig but I believe the measurements are in the Chronicles book. I maybe way off on this but I'd love to get a comparison measurement just to make sure. Please post an overall length whenever you get a chance.

Thanks,

Dave

10. Treadwell

Will do. FWIW, published dimentions of the studio models have proven to be notoriously inaccurate...

11. STEVE THE SWEDE

It would be very easy to get the right measurment if somebody have a good picture of the back, the "thruster shields" were kit bashed from the Tamiya Flackvierling kit so one could use those for size reference.

Steve.

12. autoprops713

Steve,

Email sent.

Dave

13. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Hasbro 12" bike is too big. Far too big. When it first came out I thought it might be the rightsize then I compared the real kit parts to the toy ant the toy is just too big.

14. Treadwell

Was more than one scale used?

15. autoprops713

*, funny in a way. I thought it might be too small. Back to the drawing board.

I believe that only one studio scale was used.

Dave

16. Boba Flint

I believe only one scale was used for the speeder bike, aside from the fullscale for the actors.

I think the hasbro toy could be repainted and be made into a great display, but using it as a base for a SS model it won't work.

17. Treadwell

Hasbro bike is 23.5" with rear flaps closed.

18. STEVE THE SWEDE

I got the pics!

I was wrong about the plates though, they are not from the Flackvierling kit.

Steve.

19. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

U sure?I thought that's what they used,along with a couple 1/12 F1 cars like the Mclaren&the Ferrari 312B..after that..I dn't know..maybe a tank kit used in there somewhere...like a 1/35 Matilda tank possibly?

20. STEVE THE SWEDE

Yeah, I was sure too but the shields didn't match up with the pic (the one with Luke on) that was e-mailed to me.

I could have sworn that the Flackvierling armor plates were the corect parts but the photo proved me wrong.

Steve.

21. autoprops713

I talked over this Studio Scale speedbike with a sculptor friend of mine here at work. He could sculpt a 1:1 studio scale trooper if someone can get me an overall height to the figure. I don't think he could articulate but I'm sure he could be "posed" and then glued. I can help on this part if someone is willing to bring a bike to the masses. Ever been done? Too difficult to mold? Other concerns?

Dave

22. STEVE THE SWEDE

Well, does anybody know which racing car kits were used to build the hull? I think I heard that the air intakes where from some Ferrari kit, but I don't know if it was from F1 or a sports car.

Steve.

23. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

The 1/12 Yardley McLaren,and the 1/12 Ferrari 312B for sure.....I don't think the 1/12 Ferrari 312T was used.I'm not sure what the rest of the bike was assembled of,or from...I think ILM scratched alot of it,or bashed other kit parts to make the final assemblies,then made casts of the parts.

24. STEVE THE SWEDE

What parts were taken from the Ferrari!? I can't find anything on that kit that matches up with the speeder.

Is this the kit you mean?

[​IMG]

Steve.

25. STEVE THE SWEDE

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Boba Flint wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    The Hasbro 12" bike is too big. Far too big. When it first came out I thought it might be the rightsize then I compared the real kit parts to the toy ant the toy is just too big.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Well, two separate books claims that the length of the studio scale model is 81cm, if the Hasbro version is 24" (61cm) it's actually 21cm to shorth, and that's a lot too![​IMG]

Steve.

26. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

From the 1/12 Ferrari 312B?The forward,lower half of the body&it was a chopped/modified piece,then from the McLaren...the top part of the body,and the engine cowling I think.

27. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

I have the impression that some of the "CHRONOCLES" model measurement are of the base plate and NOT the actual model. Does anyone else share this theory?

Some of their measurments don't make any sence.

Patrice

28. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

I don't know what you mean,where/what do you mean by "base plate"?My take on the Chroicals book is..and other references like "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" is that none of the measurements are really correct,most are off by one degree or another,and some are grossly inacurate.Otheres are close,and maybe a couple are right on?The Star Wars Chronicals was originally published&released in Japan( I have a copy,1 of 10,000 made from what I was told).So,how well does Japanese translate to english?There are plenty of spelling errors&mistranslations to go along with the inacurate demensions in the Chronicals book,take yur pick.

29. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

What I mean by the "base plate" is the board of wood on which is resting the model.

30. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

Do these pics help any?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they are just small copies of highly detailed pics i took at the AOSW exhibition last year.

If anyone wants the full size versions please email me at natty15d@netscape.net

Nathan

31. autoprops713

Those pics are great!Thanks Nathan. Now is there a way we can get a consensus on the size of this thing? OR, reverse engineer it from the found parts? (I know there are blueprints online somewhere).

Like I said earlier, I can help supply a figure for this model.

Dave

32. spinner 44

spinner 44 Well-Known Member

33. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Nice pictures...I still think those flaps come from the 20MM Flakverling...what other 1/35 kit has those parts?

34. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

I always thought to two rear cowlings were the nose of a space shuttle upside down. Also rear flaps were not from Flakvierling kit.

Steve

35. natty15d

Heres a close up of the flaps.

[​IMG]

Nathan

36. STEVE THE SWEDE

Wow! Great pic Nathan! I don't have my Flackvierling armor plates here at work, but if it's indeed the same part they reworked it somehow. I'll try and get pics of the Flackvierling plates when I get home, should be easy to see if the stud pattern matches.

Thanks Nathan!

Steve.

37. Boba Flint

Well Steve's right. The tamiya flackverling is not used. Something else was. See how the rivits don't match up among other things.

[​IMG]

38. STEVE THE SWEDE

Yep, the shape is way off. Could it be some other part? It should be VERY easy to scratch it though.

Steve.

39. natty15d

Hi Steve

It would be easy to scratch but we need to find a known part first to scale it up [​IMG]

Nathan

40. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hmmm....I still think the 20mm Flakvierling was used,the parts were just modified,and the rivits might have been added?They are alot bigger,they could have used pin heads maybe,or photo etch parts,there are a number of scaled photo etch parts/kits made available for armor kits.

41. Miniaturizer Ray

Miniaturizer Ray Well-Known Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    swpropmaker wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    I always thought to two rear cowlings were the nose of a space shuttle upside down. Also rear flaps were from Flakvierling kit.

Steve
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I'm not really at all sure about this, and even if it's true it's fairly useless information, but I thought perhaps they might have used pulls from the Flying Boat model they made for RAIDERS. I think the sizes work out about right.

42. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Flying boat from Raiders of the Lost Ark?You mean the airplane?I'm not sure I know what you mean...was it frma kit,or something ILM scracth built?

43. Miniaturizer Ray

Miniaturizer Ray Well-Known Member

Yes, the Pan Am Clipper. Like I said, even if it's true, and I'm not at all sure that it is, it's not really useful information, because I presume that the RAIDERS model was scratch built - the model was based on the fullsized plane that was used; a Short Solent, which was never really one of Pan Am's clippers.

44. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

I have no clue about the rear kinda looked like the space shuttle kits were avaiable early 80s who knows. Those shields look like they came from a german AK AK maybe a half track with the flakvierling in the back or the pak 38?? Those with the kits should take a look. My bet its from a german kit... rivet patterns are so simular to flak vierling.

Steve

45. STEVE THE SWEDE

It's not from the Flack 38 either, I've checked.[​IMG] One thing is sure though, it's not scratch built by ILM, I hardly think they would go thru the trouble with all those rivets.

Steve.

46. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

FYI- the studio scale bike is about 33 inches long which is around 84cm. (Toy is too small)

I believe the previous misconceptions of the size are due to the model being mostly scratch built (less found parts than you think).
    Joe Johnston has said that the bike was one vehicle designed mostly in 3D. They made a prototype model from all the found parts you guys have been listing, but then rebuilt it from scratch much larger. This is why things don't match up - parts look vaguely familiar, etc.
    The engine housings were reworked space shuttle noses on the prototype- you can see the final looks much different.

47. natty15d

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images from Behind the magic CD

48. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The rivets wouldn't be that hard - they'd just be dabs of white glue, or some other similar liquid.

stonky

49. cygnusmodels

cygnusmodels New Member

Hmm - who makes the best biker scout armor for a 1:1 speeder bike - will need to look into that!