Spectacular Spiderman costume build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by spideyman12004, May 6, 2015.

1. spideyman12004

spideyman12004 Active Member

For the past couple years I've been wanting to redo my Spectacular Spiderman costume. My original (a Sonjou pattern) is still nice but I'm looking to make a few changes like having a attached mask, more muscle definition and having the red and blue a bit darker. I decided to ask Orhadar (as I like how he does his muscle defintion) if he would be able to design the pattern for me. He did and it looks awesome. While I wait to get the pattern printed I've been trying to figure out which lenses I should go for to make the mask look like the cartoon. The ones I came across are Oracle's Superior Spiderman version 1 and TJack's ditko style. Not sure if either would be the best or if I should look at getting custom ones done. What do you guys think? superiorspiderman.jpg ditko frames.jpg spec1_Spidey_Comicon__scaled_600.jpg photo 2COMIC.JPG

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. The New Blood

The New Blood Well-Known Member

Like ya said on facebook, the frames do look like Spectaculars, and if the mesh is white non-domed, it would look great on a spectacular suit.

3. meowz0r

meowz0r Active Member

I would replace the picture of Orhadar's pattern with a lower resolution image. It won't be hard for people to replicate his pattern with the image you posted.

4. spideyman12004

I was thinking the same thing for the Superior frames. Wonder if Oracle would replace the domed lenses for flat white ones

- - - Updated - - -

Will do meowz0r. Thought by placing writing on it would make it so people couldn't take it

meowz0r likes this.
  5. OneGoodScare

OneGoodScare Active Member

Very cool, looking forward to seeing the final product! Id say the first pair of lenses (I believe oracles?) Look more like spectacular's so id go for those but they both look good

6. spideyman12004

Looks like Oracle has taken down a bunch of his frames off his website, the Superior version 1 being one of them. Hopefully it's just a glitch. If not might have to go with the Ditko or custom make some

7. JohanXDash

JohanXDash New Member

he added all the other frames as options under the spiderman lenses options. would be awesome is he added the pics to that option as well so peopel would know what they are buying

8. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

it's nice to see someone do a buil on this costume.

9. spideyman12004

I've loved the look of this costume ever since I started watching the cartoon. Thinking about darkening the web lines after it's printed like Lunaman did with his. Also might do a 3D spider for the front as well. Speaking of printing, anyone know of a cheaper way to print other then FOD? It's going to cost about $230USD to print and ship here to Canada

10. meowz0r

meowz0r Active Member

You can always look for a local dye-sublimation place. There's one near where I live, but they can only print files that are 50" x 50".

11. fun4spidey

fun4spidey Well-Known Member

I can't wait to c :)

12. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

try zentaizone

13. spideyman12004

I used a local company the first time I printed Sonjou's print and the material they used wasn't even close to the sample they sent me. The red was maroon and the blue was purple. So I got it reprinted with FOD

- - - Updated - - -

Weren't they the ones that were stealing peoples patterns and saying they were there own? If not how is the quality from them?

14. SirWilly77

SirWilly77 Member

You're thinking of ZentaiZentai. ZentaiZone, as far as I know, hasn't engaged in that practice.

15. spideyman12004

Ah ok. Know it was Zentai something wasn't sure. I'll take a look at there website

- - - Updated - - -

I did find that option and I agree he should add pictures for people to see. I sent him a message last night just waiting back for a response

16. spideyman12004

Heard back from Zentai Zone they can print and sew for 100USD. Just need to make sure it's ok with Orhadar to have his pattern printed through them. Also Oracle got back to me and I can still get the Superior version 1 frames with what ever colour of frames I want.

17. Rhum

Rhum New Member

Keep us updated on that, I got my first one from FOD and it was great...except for the sewing part. So now i have to remake my suit from scratch. Maybe this could be an option for me. Are you going to puff paint it?

18. spideyman12004

No not going to puff paint. But will be going over the web lines with Pigma Micron markers like Lunaman did

19. spideyman12004

I will not be going with Zentai Zone. Orhadar mentioned that they seem suspicious so not going to take the chance of them stealing his pattern. I know The RPC Studios works with Gunhead Designs so I may go with them

20. cha0tic

cha0tic Active Member

Hey Spidey gonna shoot you a message.
    Run a little service/business over in the project runs so head over there or just search my name up to get sent there. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  21. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

it's understandable that orhadar would skeptical of zentaizone after companies zentai zentai and others stole his pattern.
    but zentaizone seems legitimate beause I haven't seen seen stolen patterns on there websites.

22. spideyman12004

I've noticed the same, but will respect Orhadar's decision and find another company to print his pattern from

23. Peek73

Peek73 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

https://jamminon.com/cosplay

Give these guys a look. 4Neo has a link to them on his site and from what I can see they do good work and are a little bit less expensive than FOD. Hope this helps...

24. spideyman12004

Thanks Peek. I'll give them a look

25. spideyman12004

Found this picture of someone who used Oracles Superior version 1 frames for his costume. After seeing it on a costume, do you guys still think they would work for my Spectacular suit and would you go with the domed lenses in white or go with flat white lenses? IMG_1114.JPG

26. OneGoodScare

I think it works, it just looks weird because of the conflicting angles with the bent lenses and the frames also being 3D. So i'd say go with flat

27. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

I vote for domed lenses.

28. spideyman12004

TJack has just put up a new set of Superior frames. Now I'm really stumped on which frames to get? TJacks or Oracle's IMG_0736.JPG

29. SirWilly77

SirWilly77 Member

I have a pair of "traditional" TASM2 Oracle lens, and the only input I can give is that the visibility is fairly poor. I regrettably don't own any of tjack's lenses, but I've never heard that complaint applied to his stuff. So that's at least one factor you can take into consideration...

30. spideyman12004

I own a pair of TJack's Ditko frames. Used them for my Symbiote suit. The vision is really good in them. Only bad part is I glued them instead of using magnets to attach them. So they fog up quickly. The reason I'm stuck with choosing is I know you can get Oracles with the magnets already attached. Just scared attaching magnets to TJack's as I don't want to break them

31. SirWilly77

SirWilly77 Member

The "ready made" option was a big reason why I went with the Oracle lens/faceshell, but since I'm in the process of having to heavily modify the shell (and plan to use different/modified lens), there's sometimes a price to be paid for compromising.

I will add this: rare earth magnets come in a variety of shapes/sizes and are relatively cheap (and easy to get off Amazon). They're ridiculously strong, and are easy to glue/hot glue to a faceshell and also to the lenses--the only real "work" would be to make sure the magnets for the lenses and faceshell properly align, but as far as challenges go, you could do worse. Lastly, I can't imagine them being destructive and detracting from the aesthetics, just so long as you make sure they're not visible once everything's attached.

OH! And fogging's an issue regardless of whether the lens are glued to the faceshell or attached by magnets (believe me, I know). A member recently came up with a suggestion for alleviating the issue, although I have yet to try it out myself:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238276&p=3629614#post3629614

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    mmadadamm likes this.
  32. mmadadamm

mmadadamm New Member

That face shell idea I used to prevent my fogging worked 100%! I will stand by it forever! I personally like the look of vinyl lenses and not mesh, so this works fantastically

SirWilly77 likes this.
  33. OneGoodScare

Honestly from everything I've heard, id personally go with tjack. Better reviews and (I believe) cheaper too. And those new ones look really good

34. spideyman12004

After some thought last night I'm leaning more towards TJack's without the domed lenses. I'm also going the magnet route for attaching them. So just need to find out what size of earth magnets would work best for those frames

35. jaimbur

jaimbur New Member

I would go with domed

36. spideyman12004

So I went with TJack's Classic Superior frames. Got both the domed and flat lenses. That way I can see which version would work best for my costume

37. spideyman12004

Attached TJack's Classic Superior frames with flat lenses to his TASM 2 Universal shell with magnets. Here's the finished product

Attached Files:

38. fun4spidey

fun4spidey Well-Known Member

Looks great :)

39. spideyman12004

Just received my suit from Herostime. The colours of the print came out looking nice and rich and the sewing is excellent. The u-zip is well hidden but they forgot to add my hood zipper. Luckily I can still get the suit up over my head to put it on. Just need someone to zip it up once I got it on. Here's how the mask looks with TJack's frames and TASM 2 shell

Attached Files:

40. OneGoodScare

That looks friggin awesome! Everything came out great!

41. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Looks killer and super bright! Very cartoony!! Love it. The lenses also reminds me of the Noir Spiderman! Digging the contrast and it's a bit "different" too.

42. spideyman12004

Full suit on. Back not done up. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

Transhuman325 likes this.
  43. WebSlingingHope

WebSlingingHope Active Member

That looks so ****ing.. LIKE IT LEAPED OUT OF THE CARTOON WHAT THE HELL, one question how come the webbing doesn't look complete? :O

44. Timey Wimey

Timey Wimey Active Member

Pattern files are intended to be painted or drawn over some of the seams. It looks like that hasn't been done yet.

45. spideyman12004

When Herostime sewed the pattern together they took in some of the seams more then they should have. That's why the webbing looks incomplete. It's only a little on the front and around the top of the shoulders. The rest of the webbing on the suit is fine

WebSlingingHope likes this.
  46. DeJaan13

DeJaan13 Active Member

nonetheless still looks awesome

47. Peek73

Peek73 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think some black micro pens could fix your web lines if you really wanted to. I think it looks AWESOME myself. Love seeing Spidey come to life...

48. spideyman12004

I was thinking of using micro pens for the webbing, but opted not to. Didn't think it would look right of I went over seam lines with them. Plus the Spectacular design has less webbing on it so it's more noticeable then say if the webbing was done in a McFarlane style.

49. spideyman12004

Did a little photoshop. Added webbing to were the seam lines are. Tested a small area down by the sole with a micron pen. It came out darker then the web. If I went the route of going over the seams with a micron pen would I have to go over all the web lines? Plus if I did go over all the web lines would the colour be different in the seams then the webs once the lycra is stretched? Just don't want to go over all the webs then once the costume is on you can tell I went over it with a marker

Attached Files:

50. MaybePTomorrow

MaybePTomorrow New Member

If you went over All the webs lines until you fully saturate all of the lycra so you could see it clearly from the inside, it would look fine no matter hard much you stretch it. That's the route Lunaman took with his Spider-Man cosplay and it turned out fine.