Species SIL (Giger) full size costume WIP - Head Completed (Pics on Page 3).

That's actually interesting! since I will do the lenses that way.I bought a pair of clear with metallic finish sunglasses and will trim them to fit the eyes and paint them inside.

I will consider your suggestion when I do my resin bust. It's the second time in my life I do airbrush so painting backwards seems to be a little tricky for me now:p and since the full suit will be covered with latex and paint, I want to perserve the same glossy texture from head to toes.

I will gain experience doing the whole suit I guess. ;)

This is looking amazing! It looks like it would be back-heavy, or is the foam light enough that that's not a problem?

This is looking amazing! It looks like it would be back-heavy, or is the foam light enough that that's not a problem?

It's not.. the front piece is actually heavier than the back piece. The whole piece weights 3.5 pounds and is 2.5 feet long. I was quite impressed with the Flex Foam-it lightness. :)

It's been a while since I posted some updates regarding my costume. Alot is going on... pieces are coming together.

Current progress:

Hand sculpt to be casted in latex. I haven't finish detailing the sculpt yet. But it's almost done.

Spine spikes sculpt. I am currently casting them in flexfoam it V.

5614428567_ee3fbe54a4_z.jpg

The rib cage is a separate part that will be attached to the suit with velcro. I have made a skeleton using camping foam and then glued layers of tin foam to it. I also sculpted the breasts and cast them in flex foam it V.

5624986121_5299b1c722_z.jpg

5625574958_cf7a304021_z.jpg

Pretty happy with the results so far.. still a lot to go!

Thanks for watching :)

Looks very cool, i am interested in seeing this finished. Never saw anyone tackle sil costume. Looks very good compared to the movie piece as well.

Not sure if you have seen the species design book, but it has a bunch of pics during fabrication with great pics of the paintwork and layers.

I know you have been working on this for a while, but i could scan some extra pics to help out with the paint work and to admire if you haven't seen them.

great work,

Brian

You are freaking NAILING this costume! The head looks freakishly good. You have some serious skills.

On a side note, it's kinda sad to cover such a pretty face with that creepy ass thing! LOL!

Keep up the awesome work! Can't wait to see the finished product. ;) I'm sure you can see the light at the end of this projects tunnel! :)

lol! :$ thanks!

The target date is September where I should be wearing it for the first time at the Montreal ComicCon. So 5 months to go and an insane amount of work to do. But it's coming along. I could cut corners and the paint job could make it work.. but I don't want to. I want it to be perfect, as it will be displayed on a mannequin in my living room next to my boyfriend's predalien. What a happy pair they will make :) lol

There is a book on the making of the movie, it has a bunch of sketches and also some great pics of how they made sil. Here are pics of the cover and some of the interior pages showing her construction. Hope they help.

Brian

speciescover.jpg

speciespage01.jpg

speciespage02.jpg

speciespage03.jpg

speciespage04.jpg

speciespage05.jpg

speciespage06.jpg

speciespage07.jpg

Alright! a little update.

The chest piece is going well as it's one of the most complicated part to match proportions. I am pretty happy with it so far. Please note it's still on the rough.. I am sculpting, molding and casting pretty much each pieces in flex foam.. so it takes forever. I have a whole lot more detailing to do before starting the paint job.

5667773696_11cf8e0c4f_z.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Melle

Last edited:
There's so much goin' on in that costume! A lot of work, but I'm sure you'll get there!

Yeah it's kinda killing me. lol still have until September to get this done.

@alteregodezines thanks again for the scan, I ordered the book and should have it by Monday! will have better pictures to help the detailing work! :)

Maelina,

Fantastic job and I really love all the details. You definitely have skills. Your sculptures look dead on.

I know I haven't post anything on this for months, but I am still working on it.. other projects in my life (like buying a house) delayed me in the conception of this costume. As September is coming closer, I have to speed up production.

What caused more delays is that the spandex costume I bought had a PVC finish on it.. and latex does not stick to it. It peels off and rolls off.. lovely :angry

So I had to scratch my forearms that were almost complete, buy a new suit and redo the whole thing. grr.

But I finaly got my new suit, and I am rebuilding the shoulders. The previous version was way too big and made me look like a football player, not the sexy beast as this character should be.

To take away the frustration, I decided to work on my feet.. that should have been easy! NOT! I had to mold the toes from clay, then make a mold in rebound and cast in flex foam it 5. then sculpt and glue foam pieces to get the result I wanted. I used neoprene shoes for the base and I have finish one foot. The paint job will come later. I still need to finish the top strap too. But I am pretty happy with it. This costume is taking forever!

5955894979_d027d15356_z.jpg

Lesson learned. I have so far, did every thing twice for every single piece in this project. Hopefully, I should be done by mid-september for Comic Con in Montreal... with a little chance!

Thanks for watching :)

Awesome sculpt skills an th' level of details is extraordinary ya done an amazing job so far bad luck that ya had ta do things over still ya definitely have alot of skill I look forward ta seein this project finished.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back