Species SIL (Giger) full size costume WIP - Head Completed (Pics on Page 3).

Re: Species SIL (Giger) full size costume (Work In progress)

It's looking great. When this costume is finished, it's gonna ROCK, I'm sure!!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

@too much garlic It's actually in my plans to do a full head in resin with my molds afterwards... but not now.. I have to be done with the whole costume first :)

Thanks everyone!

The head looks great. Got some impressive talent girl. You should toss a pic over to Giger and Steve johnson once finished. They would be very impressed i think;)
I wouldn't mind having one of those Sil heads in my collection.

@Goldenrod thank you so much for your comment, I truly appreciate this.This costume is my first real sci-fi/horror project in 15 years. I was doing some makeup effects while I was a teenager and stopped sculpting for more than 12 years. This kind of comment brings up my motivation a notch :D

@too much garlic It's actually in my plans to do a full head in resin with my molds afterwards... but not now.. I have to be done with the whole costume first :)
That's cool, no rush.

Based on what you've shown so far of your sculpting abilities and inginuity, your costume is gonna rock. :thumbsup

And the head completely assembled. :)

I added a coat of latex to make sure everything stay in place

5583502086_59139f824d_z.jpg

5582941557_2768f2ae48_z.jpg

Super happy with the end result, up next air brush ! weee!

5583479773_85051915cd_b.jpg

Last edited:

Oh, almost missed that airbrushed shot. AWESOME. It really looks like the movie sculpt:

Sil-AnimatronicPuppet-2122454376_1afd0c1059.jpg
Sil-AnimatronicPuppet-2122454892_b297e94c9a.jpg
Sil-AnimatronicPuppet-2122455734_bd91808008.jpg

Lol! well Lady Gaga is kinda alienesque lol.

@too much garlic: that's funny, I actually used some of those pic for my version. More picture to come.. the last pic I took was with my cellphone and it does not bring justice to the color shades. I am also continuing the paint job at this very moment ;)

Just stunning!!!!!!
I love the metallic paint and airbrushing!!!

I never thought Sil would be possible as a costume with all her translucent parts; this is amazing!

I never thought Sil would be possible as a costume with all her translucent parts; this is amazing!

The costume used in Species I had only a transparent faceplate. For Species II they added various transparent elements (torso) to the mix.

Steve Johnson put up a behind the scenes video a few months ago ago showing the first suit, they glued elements onto a wetsuit. I've tried to locate it, but it seems to have vanished.

@Warpig that's why I am using metallic paint and try to get that wet texture.

@Rotwang correct! and I will add a coat of Monster Maker Permawet on the front mask to get some transparent effect. At least very shinny!

Well friends, the head is done! wheww!

I still have some minor work to be done when I will put the holding straps and have to finish the lenses that go behind the eyes.

Anyhow, here's some pictures of the finished work. I am really happy with the results. Sad that metallic paint does not show well even with a good camera!

5589118566_bd591c2a0f_z.jpg

5589124368_3641873048_z.jpg

5589116984_9b9a447d0a_z.jpg

5588528301_1ab01d490c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate your comments. Now that I am done with the head, I moved to the hands which will be entirely sculpted and cast in latex to fit my hand shape perfectly! there's still a whole lot to do! waaah! :)

I'm wondering though, looking at the production sculpt photos, if the clear resin might do something interesting with this sculpt. Might be a fun experiment down the road since you already have the cast. Do it in clear and paint the inside perhaps?

Just a suggestion. Your piece looks amazing. Sculpt is dead on.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back