Spawn comic costume WIP

SwedishNinja

Hey all, I thought posting a WIP on here would help motivate me into getting some progress done.

I'm doing the Black and White costume, standard cape, and armor.

215px-Spawn_Classic.jpg

here is what I have done so far, not much and I haven't really had much experience sculpting. after I'm finished with the sculpt I will be casting it and making the cape clasp skull and casting it.

IMAG0099.jpg

and most importantly I am in week 4 out of 12 of a fitness program. this is so I dont look ridiculous in the spandex suit :p im already 13 lbs down!

skål!

Swedish Ninja

Looks great, and good luck with your fitness program. I know some Spawn fans that would like that Spawny bit you sculpted. Even use it as a wall plaque.

Looks great, and good luck with your fitness program. I know some Spawn fans that would like that Spawny bit you sculpted. Even use it as a wall plaque.

Thanks! its been a while since I worried this much about diet and worked out 5-6 times a week. but I have several motivating factors, getting married and a beach honeymoon in June, my HS 10 year reunion and the dreaded spandex costume of a hell spawn. I really want to avoid any kind of muscle suit.

and I will keep you posted on the casting for the skulls once I have a mold it will be no problem to make more :cool

Thanks for the links to the other spawn boards. Ill have to post some more updates when I get them in.

So for a brief update I am a few hours work away from finishing the belt skull and the 1 chest skull. and I just picked up some Alumilite High Strength 3 from Hobby Lobby last night with a 40% off coupon (if you look online you can typically find 40-50% off every week or just print a new coupon each night!!) and will start making the mold Thursday and hopefully pull a few casts by the weekend. I also picked up some neon green plexiglass from a local distributor for the mask lenses and the eyes for the skulls. I plan on running LEDs around the plexiglass to make the eyes glow... not entirely sure just how I will be doing all that but I'm sure ill figure it out. Any tips for adding lights to eye pieces or lenses would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone purchased cat suits or costumes from Milanoo.com? they have a black full suit for about 17 bucks plus 12 ish shipping and wanted to know how the quality is. or if anyone has a preferred site. Also since the only costume I have done to this scale was the Halo Master Chief costume I dont really know how practical a full body spandex suit is, temperature, eating/drinking, bathroom breaks etc...

Finished Sculpting the belt and chest skulls and letting them dry so I can make the mold tonight.

mailgooglecom.jpg

and the mini skull

mailgooglecom1.jpg

update pics from casting later tonight.

Holy pink disaster Batman... So I tried my first attempt at casting last night and I'm pretty sure I hosed the molds... first I figured out that I didnt have enough silicone, then I figured out my hot glue/tape mold walls were not stable enough to hold everything in so I spent the first few hours of curing scooping it back into the mold, finding objects to stick in the mold at the empty spaces to raise the level, and plugging up holes/cleaning up the place.
on the bright side I documented my experience so it will stick in my memory as a lesson well learned :p
mailgooglecom2.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

and for the early shot of mold before most of the leaks and tweaks.

IMAG0109-1.jpg

Learn from my fail... Ill be checking them tonight to see just how bad the business ends look.

As much as that sucks i'm still pretty excited for you.

What did you use to make the molds? I've never done that and will be doing my own soon.

So did you just have some holes or was it just too heavy to support the structure?

As much as that sucks i'm still pretty excited for you.

What did you use to make the molds? I've never done that and will be doing my own soon.

So did you just have some holes or was it just too heavy to support the structure?

I used some thick card stock/cardboard for the mold. I would have worked alright but I was running out of hot glue so I was using it sparingly and filling the gaps with duct tape... since the silicone is a bit greasy it killed the tape and just flowed on through. if I had more hot glue it would have worked just fine.

So I finally found the Alumilite casting resin at Hobby lobby and pulled the first tests from the molds. on the smaller skull I have a few bubbles and a few pieces of clay stuck in the mold, but it turned out alright after the second pull. the larger skull looks pretty sweet. Ill be adding either some paint for the eyes or use the Plexiglass and lights for it. I still have a decent amount of resin so Ill probably cast several of each.

resinskull2.jpg

resinskull.jpg

I'm itching to see how you do the bodysuit and cloak, those can make or break a Spawn costume...
try to do something other than spandex for the suit. I've seen a good one done with a wet suit

Please don't lose interest in finishing this. I'm in for the journey and would love to see the finished product. Sending good vibes!

I wish I had a bit more to update other than I'm a bit busy working on my newish house and planning a wedding. I hope to start the armor later this week. I ordered some chain last week but its smaller than I want to use for the costume and may have to re order...

for the cape I'm going to build a foam skeleton to give it bulk on the shoulders. And due to time/money constraints I think I have to go with the spandex :( that's why I'm focusing on the armor pieces and the cape for a better look.

Thanks for the well wishes, I will post updates as soon as I have some!

That looks good, I did a She-Spawn for my Ex GF Jovanka a long time ago. I did all the bone armor out of formed window screen and expanding foam. Worked amazing, really really strong and lightweight. If you get to the bone armor and spikes and all the fun stuff I can give you a quick tutorial. I did all the armor for about 40bucks I think.

That looks good, I did a She-Spawn for my Ex GF Jovanka a long time ago. I did all the bone armor out of formed window screen and expanding foam. Worked amazing, really really strong and lightweight. If you get to the bone armor and spikes and all the fun stuff I can give you a quick tutorial. I did all the armor for about 40bucks I think.

I would love some tips! Im still trying to figure out how I want to do the spikes.

I used some thick card stock/cardboard for the mold. I would have worked alright but I was running out of hot glue so I was using it sparingly and filling the gaps with duct tape... since the silicone is a bit greasy it killed the tape and just flowed on through. if I had more hot glue it would have worked just fine.

Next time, try putting the duct tape on the inside of the box will help solve this problem. ;)

For the spikes, you could try using foam cylinders and carving them. You're doing great so far!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back