Spare Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing parts, or casting a new one?

chairmankaga

Assembling my Y-Ying this morning, I somehow crushed the right engine nacelle nozzle (D9) to oblivion while attaching the connecting spars. Normally the parts are able to handle a bit of pressure and flex a little, but this piece literally disintegrated into about 15 little shards. I attempted to repair it but unfortunately it was just too far gone. Warped and shattered.

I know Bandai doesn't offer replacements parts outside Japan anymore, so that's not an option. Does anyone have a kitbash kit with that parts still available?

I do have some leftover resin from molding some spare interior parts for my Alfa Romeo (a real car, not a model!) and thought I might use the twin from the other nacelle to mold a new one, but I think they're mirrored and not identical.

Spending another $30 on a second kit for this one piece is not a good option, so Plan C might be to somehow do a battle damaged version, which will of course necessitate a pursuing TIE. These little kits are addictive!

bandai_ywing018.jpg

The attachment points may be mirrored, I don't have the kit so I can't say. But as far as I know they were made from duplicate sets of donor parts so they should be symmetrical. But even so it seems molding is the best option, you already have the materials so it won't cost you anything. And the castings can be modified to account for any mirroring.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back