SPACEMAN, indie film costume build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by fotokid, Mar 17, 2012.

1. fotokid

fotokid Well-Known Member

My film II class has picked up my script, unofficially titled, SPACEMAN as one of three pieces we'll be shooting on super 16mm this semester. Our main character, SpaceMan will be dressed in a red jumpsuit with white accents, a back pack, helmet, boots, and a transmission dish.

I'm very open to critiques and suggestions so I'll post all progress and eventually footage from the film. Enjoy!

benhs1898 likes this.
  2. fotokid

First up is the helmet build, I started with a pane of yellow plexi glass laser cut it into three pieces. The pieces were glues together to form the visor and then glued onto a bike helmet. I dremeled a notch into the bike helmet to add support. The structure is made of found cardboard/posterboard and the hoses are from an old vacuum.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. fotokid

After a few thrift store visits we found the perfect vacuum that became the backpack after adding white canvas straps (the extra hoses were added to the helmet). The jumpsuit is a coverall Dickies work suit and the white pockets are just lying on top as possible additions.

4. fotokid

Helmet was given a nice coat of paint to bring out any flaws and then using some poor man's bondo (our budget is next to $0) I filled in the seams and cardboard cracks.

5. fotokid

Test shots with nearly completed costume!

6. BirdDog

BirdDog Active Member

very creative!
    nice work on a budget!

7. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just show us the movie already!

8. fotokid

I can't give you the movie yet ben!! But here are some on set photos from day 1 of shooting! We lucked out and had a great morning of thick fog that really set the landscape in an abstract world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Werstrooper

Werstrooper Well-Known Member

Well done!

Great shots, love the costume design!

10. fotokid

Thank you, the next character to work on is STARMAN who will be encountered in our next shoot hopefully scheduled in the next couple weeks. I will post super 16mm stills when our first reel comes back from the lab on friday.

11. fotokid

We got back the first film reel, footage looks great. I will post progress shots of STARMAN, very silly costume but will fit the film perfectly. Clips/trailers coming soon!

12. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SChweet.

13. fotokid

a STARMAN is born!

[​IMG]

GOOOLLLDDDDDD

[​IMG]

The head piece will be cut open for the face and legs/chest will be built next

14. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Space suit! :)

15. fotokid

Film production has just ended and we will now start on editing the film and working on sound design. Here are a few 16mm stills from our last shoot!

16. fotokid

you can also view a lot more on set photos/track the progress by liking the FB page

Spaceman | Facebook

17. fotokid

you can also view a lot more on set photos/track the progress by liking the FB page

Spaceman | Facebook

18. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jesus, how did I miss this! Looks awesome, love the costume design, very cool looking!