Spaceballs the Yogurt Doll - Merchandising!

jackdoud

Sr Member
So a few months ago a friend of mine handed me a vinyl Disney Studios Yoda doll and a pair of costume pointed ears and asked me to make him a Spaceballs Yogurt doll. Always up for a challenge I accepted.

th_IMG_6868.jpg

I started by cutting off the ears. I did a test with some Kneadatite green stuff modeling putty and found that it stuck pretty well to the vinyl.

th_IMG_6874.jpg
th_IMG_6877.jpg
th_IMG_6881.jpg

I then built up the face in sections. Green stuff has an 8 hour drying time so I could only do so much at once.

th_IMG_6911.jpg
th_IMG_6926.jpg
th_IMG_6927.jpg
th_IMG_6928.jpg

I then attached the ears with a combination of contact cement and brushable latex. If I had to do it again I'd probably just skip it and sculpt the ears from scratch as nothing seems to want to stick to them.

th_IMG_6929.jpg
th_IMG_7090.jpg
th_IMG_7094.jpg

My friend gave me a pair of novelty bendy hand keychains to use for the hands. Again, I probably should have just sculpted them from scratch as painting them turned out to be a problem. He could only find right hands as well so I had to modify one into a left. I ziptied them onto the ends of the arms then used greenstuff to blend them in a bit.

th_IMG_7098.jpg
th_IMG_7103.jpg
th_IMG_7100.jpg
th_IMG_7102.jpg

At this point I wanted to take it to the next level and add a pullstring. After searching online and locally it turns out even finding a pullstring doll is next to impossible. I finally lucked out and found a vintage Roger Rabbit doll at a thrift store.

th_IMG_6408.jpg

I kinda felt bad tearing apart a new in box toy from 1988 but it was only $5. The voicebox didn't work anyway, the speed on it was messed up and garbled but the pullstring still worked which is all I needed.

th_IMG_6884.jpg
th_IMG_6888.jpg
th_IMG_6893.jpg

Next I bought a customizable greeting card off a guy on Ebay.

th_IMG_6871.jpg

Download the software from his website, rip the audio from the movie, download to the chip and I had a triggerable audio player. I mounted a reed switch inside the pullstring box and finetuned the sensitivity.

th_IMG_6915.jpg
th_IMG_6916.jpg
th_IMG_6918.jpg
th_IMG_6923.jpg

Here's a video of the pullstring in action:

Next up was mounting the voicebox in the doll. I slit the back and removed the stuffing. Cut some holes in the front to let the sound out then gorilla glue the voicbox in. A snap collar was added for the string to pass through then once the glue was dry he was restuffed and the back sealed up. Changing batteries will be a pain.

th_IMG_7088.jpg
th_IMG_6930.jpg

Next up was painting. As I said the ears and hands gave me trouble with the paint not drying. I started with a brown base coat the worked up levels of various golds and brown washes.

th_IMG_6931.jpg
th_IMG_6932.jpg

A mutual friend sewed up the robes.

th_IMG_6866.jpg
th_IMG_6933.jpg

Then I tossed together a quick cane out of a coathanger and Apoxie Sculpt.

th_IMG_7134.jpg
th_IMG_6935.jpg

Adorable...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is absolutely gorgeous. You got it dead on looking like him. I'm honestly shocked nobody has made more of the merchandise from that table.

Merchandising, Merchandising, Merchandising!
That looks great!

Something I'm curious about on those recordable greeting card boards, is do they save the sample,
If the batteries die?

This is so cool it beggars belief.

Please, go and make the small figures Dark Helmet played with so I don't have to. I see... I see a very successful run if you do. You'd at least have my money. ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back