Spaceballs Dark Helmet Replica Creation

XLAutomation

Hi All;

This is my first post. As part of an adult campout for boy scouts, our patrol theme is "Space Balls". As the engineer in the group, I was tasked with creating the helmet and mask of Lord Helmet. Browsing through all of the awesome posts here, I came across some various versions, the favorite of which is gorgot3000's thermoformed parts. So that's where I am going with this. I'm pretty far along with the mask, and just getting started on the helmet. I own a machine shop and an automation and controls company so I have access to pretty cool stuff to assist me.

My plan is:
Model in 3D software (I use SolidWorks)
Cut male mold using our CNC router or Haas CNC mill (the mill has other duties that pay my salary though, so I have limited use)
Thermoform the mask using either a generous local company or my own thermoforming contraption (yet to build).
Thermoform the helmet I think. Or create a reverse mold on the mill and just create a fiberglass version (more rigid, etc..?)

So I'm moving on with the mask, which I will try to document somewhat in a few subsequent posts.

20140901_162740.jpg

So the first thing is to draw what you want I guess... :)

Getting the mask modeled in SolidWorks. Lots of difficult curves in this one. I had to get my engineering buddy to help out. Thanks, Anthony!
1.jpg
Helmet3a.JPGHelmet3b.JPG
Helmet3c.JPGHelmet5.JPG

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 254
So my mill is on a two month production run, so I have a CNC router to work with. The thickest piece I could possibly make is around 5", and the mask is 9" tall, so I'll make in layers and glue them together. I found some inexpensive(ish) Tulip Poplar at a local lumber yard that is 1.81" thick, so I can do it in 5 layers. Geez what a pain. I am also limited by the length of the router bits I can sensibly use, and have to do it all as cheaply as possible.

Anyway, I split it into layers and started routing.

2014-10-06 13.12.03.jpg2014-10-06 12.19.41.jpg2014-10-06 12.19.58.jpg
2014-10-06 17.12.23.jpg2014-10-07 13.36.50.jpg

I had a terrible problem with the router forgetting where its X Axis location was in the middle of a part on several occasions. Bad encoder or something. I have some repair work to do as a result. later....

OK, so I glue them all together a layer at a time, and rough sand them. The software I was using was set to provide a pretty rough finish on the parts (so it wouldn't take all day to route), so there's a lot of sanding to do. I will fill in the damaged parts with body filler (only one really bad place and a few gouges here and there), sand more, apply some glazing, sand more, etc.

2014-10-06 21.19.23.jpg
We'll assume 2000 lbs of pressure is adequate!

2014-10-12 17.14.37.jpg
You can see the largest of the goofs on the lower left. Router just has a mind of its own. Which is more than I can say about myself, getting into this project!
2014-10-12 17.44.11.jpg
2014-10-14 21.23.10.jpg
2014-10-15 18.04.42.jpg
Looks like I'm about ready to figure out how to thermoform this beast.

looking good. that's a ton of work!
the only thing that might be of concern is how flared out you have the bottom of the face plate. Will it still open all the way without catching the sides of the helmet?
Thought i would throw that out there. looking forward to more updates.

Ouch, didn't think of that. I can model that hinge and see how close it is. At this point, I would probably work on the opening of the helmet rather than start messing with the mask any more... unless I REALLY had to!!!

Thanks very much for catching that!

no problem, i just know on my gorgot lid that he designed it more straight down. sure there is a gap but you don't notice it with all that black.
cheers man. hated having to point it out after you did so much, but i didnt want you to discover it after bot parts were done and you had trouble putting them together.

The hinged mask feature is a critical part of the overall effect!. I can easily adjust the opening in the helmet to fit the mask, so better now than later! I'm pretty confident that mask is appropriately sized, and just the helmet needs adjusting, so all is good.

Michael

So, here's what I came up with on the mask swiveling up into the helmet. I think the helmet design is fine. I am off to a thermoformer in about 10 minutes, if they laugh at me, I will build my own.

Swivel1.JPG

So, getting the helmet model ready for cutting on the router was a real PIA. I had to redesign the front in order to get a solid face with no negative draft.Helmet Ready for cut.JPG

So, I have gotten a little more done on the helmet. I took the 3D model, sliced it into five 3" slabs and cut them on my router to make the thermoform mold. I had a hell of a time with the router. Kept tripping out, losing position, etc. It gouged the **** out of the top two pieces, which I will have to fill in with some wood and re-carve. FInally tracked the problem down to a Z encoder loose wire, and a loose pulley on the X axis, which loosened again after I fixed it the first time, causing me to basically recreate all of the troubleshooting steps instead of looking for the obvious loose pulley again.

So here is the un-sanded, terribly gouged, ugly prototype. Some ludicrous-speed sanding, chunks of wood, and Bondo over the next few days, and it will be looking a bunch better!

2014-11-05 14.12.22.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So I am also going to build a thermoforming thingy I think. I called a local company and they are quite busy, and I haven't called anyone else yet. So onward to the drawing table.

I'll post a couple of pics shortly.

Michael

- - - Updated - - -

Just to show that the helmet isn't a solid chunk of wood! It took six 2x6x8' pieces of lumber to make this. With the mask, I did it in tulip poplar, which is much nicer, but I'm on a budget :)

View attachment 401897

Nice job on this so far. Came to check it out since you mentioned it in my Dark Helmet build thread. Looks like your hinge point is a little lower than mine but pretty close to the same spot. ;) I'll be checking back for updates.

Oh, the mold! I don't know the lingo! :)

The helmet is actually completely hollow. It probably weighs 15 lbs. However, I have to cross brace it a bunch so it doesn't implode when vacuumed, so expect to add on 10 more pounds of 2x4s inside it. I'll take a photo when I get a chance.

Michael

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back