Space X Dragon Helmet 3D Model and Build (V2 Finished Bust on p.3)

krispikarim

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought I'd share progress on this 3d model of the new version of the Space X helmet I have been slowly working on for the last few weeks. This is actually my second attempt at this helmet, but we aren't gonna talk about the first one...(it was real bad)
My plan is to create a bust of this helmet, which would go down to the collar piece.

Here are a couple of renderings of the model:
Spacex_v2_2019-Feb-02_09-37-05PM-000_CustomizedView23898979473_jpg.jpg

Spacex v2 v34.jpg

Spacex v2 v33.jpg

The upper part of the helmet will actually swing open and will feature a functional release when the two buttons on the side are pushed.
Spacex v2 v40.jpg

I am going to start printing the parts within the next few days, then it's a whole lotta sanding

Attachments

• Spacex v2 v35.jpg
    Spacex v2 v35.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
That’s cool of you to offer the files! Is the visor buck included in the files on Etsy?

Yes it is! I got the files a few days ago and am in the process of printing the lower parts of the helmet, and will post my progress here as well. They're great files, sliced well, and well worth the price.

I am back with more updates! Did the first few passes of sanding and filler.
IMG-3650.JPG

First coat of primer on both halves, and made sure to keep any parts that are mechanical masked.
IMG-3691.JPG
IMG-3694.JPG
IMG-3692.JPG

And printed all the pieces for the buck, will be sanding and finishing this to then be molded then cast in plaster (probably ultracal).
IMG-3695.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-3649.JPG
    IMG-3649.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 573
Howdy! Longtime listener, first time caller.

I purchased OP's cad files from Etsy and they're terrific. I'm currently printing my second part for this build and will post photos once I've started gluing everything together.

Also: the guy who shows up at all of the Tesla and SpaceX events dressed as Starman may end up with this first one I'm building (he's a buddy/collaborator/customer of mine for my day job). If he does, I'll make sure all credit is pointed towards @krispikarim. (attached photo is something he (Starman) and I built out for EarthDay this year).

After this build, I'd love to chat about collab-ing on a different build/design I've been trying to sort out, but I'm not well-versed enough at Fusion to execute.

Attachments

• 0_kS1dzsEVZyYANgqw.jpg
    0_kS1dzsEVZyYANgqw.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 723
Howdy! Longtime listener, first time caller.

I purchased OP's cad files from Etsy and they're terrific. I'm currently printing my second part for this build and will post photos once I've started gluing everything together.

Also: the guy who shows up at all of the Tesla and SpaceX events dressed as Starman may end up with this first one I'm building (he's a buddy/collaborator/customer of mine for my day job). If he does, I'll make sure all credit is pointed towards @krispikarim. (attached photo is something he (Starman) and I built out for EarthDay this year).

After this build, I'd love to chat about collab-ing on a different build/design I've been trying to sort out, but I'm not well-versed enough at Fusion to execute.

Hey, thanks! Sure, you could always reach here.

AAANNNDDD I'm back with way more updates:

Sanded some more.

IMG-3864.JPG

IMG-3866.JPG
IMG-3867.JPG

Gave both parts a gloss white base.
IMG-3879.JPG
IMG-3872.JPG
Molded the visor 3d print in alginate then cast it in ultracal 30.
IMG-3919.JPG

IMG-3923.JPG
IMG-3922.JPG
IMG-3931.JPG
IMG-3932.JPG
IMG-3934.JPG
IMG-3939.JPG
IMG-3953.JPG
IMG-3952.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3864.JPG
    IMG-3864.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 593
  • IMG-3866.JPG
    IMG-3866.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 566
I’ve been working on mine as well.

What sort of seam filler are you using? It’s been a long while since I’ve made anything like this. And oh boy, so much sanding ahead.

Attachments

• 978D1369-0561-4D89-97A9-B0E6130A3BA3.jpeg
    978D1369-0561-4D89-97A9-B0E6130A3BA3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 708
I’ve been working on mine as well.

What sort of seam filler are you using? It’s been a long while since I’ve made anything like this. And oh boy, so much sanding ahead.

so first I lightly tacked the parts together with superglue, then "friction welded" with filament in a dremel along most of the seems to make sure they are fused together, once everything was solid I went to work with bondo getting the seams blended into the rest of the helmet.

I have installed a fleece liner with foam padding on the inside of the helmet, along with making a helmet stand.
IMG-3969.JPG
IMG-3970.JPG
IMG-3965.JPG
IMG-3966.JPG

Yeah! I just saw these on Twitter! It really looks great!

I’ll be printing the top parts this week, and trying to figure out how to build a vacuum forming rig to do the visor pulls.

I’m really enjoying this project. Thanks for sharing and for making the cad files available!

Yeah! I just saw these on Twitter! It really looks great!

I’ll be printing the top parts this week, and trying to figure out how to build a vacuum forming rig to do the visor pulls.

I’m really enjoying this project. Thanks for sharing and for making the cad files available!
Thanks, making a vacuforming set up isn't all that difficult, there are some good youtube vids out there, and yeah I hope people have fun making their own!

Awesome work. I wish I seen this earlier, I would have OP the model to print and use it as a costume piece for a FIRST robotics competition. This year was space themed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back