Space Trials: Imperial Cutter Persistent joins the Fleet!

Hand Solo

Sr Member
On the bench right now is something I'm putting together purely on a scratch/bash basis all from leftover sheet styrene and old kit parts.

This then, is the ongoing process of construction of the Cutter Persistent, lead ship of a class of Electronic Warfare jamming ships built by Kuat Drive Yards for the Imperial Navy.

Her job is to enter a potential threat area, monitor communications and emissions sources and then jam these with active countermeasures in advance of operations by standard Imperator I and II class Star Destroyers.

She is only about 40 percent as long as a standard ISD, at some 640 meters in length.

This model is 7" long overall and 4.5" wide. Scale is 1/4222 or to scale with the Ertl SD.

Earlier images of construction are posted at Hobbytalk and Starship Modeller.

Link 1

This is the stage of construction I'm at now:

pers41.jpg

pers40.jpg

pers39.jpg

pers38.jpg

pers37.jpg

pers36.jpg

I'm still in the process of detailing with styrene chips on the underside of the main hull and the port and starboard sides of the sail. Some of the chips are only a little more than a millimeter square.

Soon I'll be shooting the primer coat and doing some preshading in the engine section and brim trenches before final painting and the drawing of panel lines with a mechanical pencil happens.

The middle engine bell is left off for painting as I built an internal mounting tube out of a drinking straw in order to make handling and painting easier. The middle engine and all topside antennas will be added last.

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 3 2006, 01:52 AM) [snapback]1272964[/snapback]</div>
That is really good. That concept drawing of the the Executor was something I've always liked.
[/b]

Thanks.

The funny thing is is that I haven't seen anyone do anything remotely like it before now. At least, not that I know of.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 3 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1273341[/snapback]</div>
I had completely forgotten about that concept design.... and the detail work you're adding is very kewl..
[/b]

Thanks.

I have to cut another batch of chips. The last batch ( half a film can worth ) is almost gone and I have the lower main hull and the sides of the sail left to do.

Bump up with new undercoat images. Major detailing on Persistent is complete...after almost 2000 styrene chips. Mind you, this is only 7 inches in length.

The Krylon semi-flat black really shows the chip and greeble detailing. I used my MiniDV camcorder as a still camera and was able to use it as a macro. Resolution still ain't great, but I could get in much closer.

All that's left is the color coat application, drawing of hull lines with a mechanical pencil and then the installation of the sensor globes and antennas. I'll be building a stand for it and a small display case as well.

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6-1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 12 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1299322[/snapback]</div>
Feakin amazing DUUUUUUUDE...

The detail work is what I would expect from you. :p
[/b]

I just shot the color coats. It's a custom white with some metallic pewter mixed in. About to take some pics.

Tomorrow will be the drawing of panel lines and final assembly.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Very nice, micro detailed.[/b]

MICRO. 2000 itsy bitsy styrene chips give or take. :cry

Looking very good. Very interesting design.

When I saw the first post's piccies, I thought that was the painted model and I thought, "White hull and red bottle cap?, Wtf is Hand dude thinking?" And realised, oh that is the unpainted one. :p

B

So this is model making, ILM style.

Shots of detailing-in-progress. The effect is both more subtle in person and looks its best from about a foot away. Mind you, I'm zooming in on details filling up only about a square inch or two.

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

That looks awesome. ILM indeed Mr. Hand. LOL.

I must say we need to get you a better cam for the macro shots though. Looks like the fine detail is getting blurred a bit.

Bottom line is this is one awesome creation. Anyone step up to kit this baby?

How about a 2 foot version? How large would this beastie be compared to,... say.... hmmmm... Tox's SD scratch build?

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 13 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]1299609[/snapback]</div>
That looks awesome. ILM indeed Mr. Hand. LOL.[/b]

Thank you most kindly.

I must say we need to get you a better cam for the macro shots though. Looks like the fine detail is getting blurred a bit.[/b]

That's not the cam's fault. I just need to stop being lazy and get the tripod out. A new cam is on my list though.
I'm getting up REALLY close to a very small model. These details are teensy. I toned down the pencil lines with a mist coat. Too dark pencil lines ruins the scale effect. And just like ILM models, you can see every little flaw when you zoom in this much.

Bottom line is this is one awesome creation. Anyone step up to kit this baby?[/b]

Anyone who wants to do that can use the photos with proper credit. This model itself was not designed to be a master for a kit...FAR too many delicate parts.

How about a 2 foot version? How large would this beastie be compared to,... say.... hmmmm... Tox's SD scratch build?
[/b]

It would be about...oh...16 or 17 inches scaled with Tox' 40" destroyer. It would be doable, I would think. :thumbsup ( But not by me. I'm tooooo busy now. )

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back