Space Trials: Imperial Cutter Persistent joins the Fleet!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Hand Solo, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

On the bench right now is something I'm putting together purely on a scratch/bash basis all from leftover sheet styrene and old kit parts.

This then, is the ongoing process of construction of the Cutter Persistent, lead ship of a class of Electronic Warfare jamming ships built by Kuat Drive Yards for the Imperial Navy.

Her job is to enter a potential threat area, monitor communications and emissions sources and then jam these with active countermeasures in advance of operations by standard Imperator I and II class Star Destroyers.

She is only about 40 percent as long as a standard ISD, at some 640 meters in length.

This model is 7" long overall and 4.5" wide. Scale is 1/4222 or to scale with the Ertl SD.

Earlier images of construction are posted at Hobbytalk and Starship Modeller.

Link 1

This is the stage of construction I'm at now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still in the process of detailing with styrene chips on the underside of the main hull and the port and starboard sides of the sail. Some of the chips are only a little more than a millimeter square.

Soon I'll be shooting the primer coat and doing some preshading in the engine section and brim trenches before final painting and the drawing of panel lines with a mechanical pencil happens.

The middle engine bell is left off for painting as I built an internal mounting tube out of a drinking straw in order to make handling and painting easier. The middle engine and all topside antennas will be added last.

2. REL

REL Sr Member

That is really good. That concept drawing of the the Executor was something I've always liked.

3. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 3 2006, 01:52 AM) [snapback]1272964[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks.

The funny thing is is that I haven't seen anyone do anything remotely like it before now. At least, not that I know of.

4. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I had completely forgotten about that concept design.... and the detail work you're adding is very kewl..

5. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 3 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1273341[/snapback]</div>

Thanks.

I have to cut another batch of chips. The last batch ( half a film can worth ) is almost gone and I have the lower main hull and the sides of the sail left to do.

6. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Bump up with new undercoat images. Major detailing on Persistent is complete...after almost 2000 styrene chips. Mind you, this is only 7 inches in length.

The Krylon semi-flat black really shows the chip and greeble detailing. I used my MiniDV camcorder as a still camera and was able to use it as a macro. Resolution still ain't great, but I could get in much closer.

All that's left is the color coat application, drawing of hull lines with a mechanical pencil and then the installation of the sensor globes and antennas. I'll be building a stand for it and a small display case as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Update: Sensor globes, rotodomes and jammer emitters added.

I'm ready for the color coat. Updates probably tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Feakin amazing DUUUUUUUDE...

The detail work is what I would expect from you. :p

9. REL

REL Sr Member

Very nice, micro detailed.

10. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 12 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1299322[/snapback]</div>
    I just shot the color coats. It's a custom white with some metallic pewter mixed in. About to take some pics.

Tomorrow will be the drawing of panel lines and final assembly.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    MICRO. 2000 itsy bitsy styrene chips give or take. :cry

11. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

So, this is the Enterprise-F. :D

Nice lil model there.

B

12. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boxster @ Aug 12 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]1299361[/snapback]</div>
    Uh huh. Sure. :D

I've got more pics. The night is young.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Boxster

Looking very good. Very interesting design.

When I saw the first post's piccies, I thought that was the painted model and I thought, "White hull and red bottle cap?, Wtf is Hand dude thinking?" And realised, oh that is the unpainted one. :p

B

14. Boxster

Double post

15. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

So this is model making, ILM style.

Shots of detailing-in-progress. The effect is both more subtle in person and looks its best from about a foot away. Mind you, I'm zooming in on details filling up only about a square inch or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

That looks awesome. ILM indeed Mr. Hand. LOL.

I must say we need to get you a better cam for the macro shots though. Looks like the fine detail is getting blurred a bit.

Bottom line is this is one awesome creation. Anyone step up to kit this baby?

How about a 2 foot version? How large would this beastie be compared to,... say.... hmmmm... Tox's SD scratch build?

17. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 13 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]1299609[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you most kindly.

That's not the cam's fault. I just need to stop being lazy and get the tripod out. A new cam is on my list though.
    I'm getting up REALLY close to a very small model. These details are teensy. I toned down the pencil lines with a mist coat. Too dark pencil lines ruins the scale effect. And just like ILM models, you can see every little flaw when you zoom in this much.

Anyone who wants to do that can use the photos with proper credit. This model itself was not designed to be a master for a kit...FAR too many delicate parts.

It would be about...oh...16 or 17 inches scaled with Tox' 40" destroyer. It would be doable, I would think. :thumbsup ( But not by me. I'm tooooo busy now. )

18. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Got this mini finished yet? How about placing a dollar bill next to it for scale?

19. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

It's done.

Persistent has left the yards and is on space trials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

HEEEEEEEE'S BAAAAAAAAACK...

OMG.... :eek :eek :eek

I had no idea how tiny that actually was.

21. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Yeah. It's not very big at all...but it photographs large...even with my crude attempts at lighting.

Here's an example with quote/unquote " studio lighting ". It's sitting on a piece of black foam core and is lit with nothing more than a swing-arm incandescant desk lamp.

I painted out the stand in Photoshop.

[​IMG]

And another:

[​IMG]

Stern view. Engine section.

[​IMG]

22. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

[​IMG]

My attempt at a 'screen grab'.

23. REL

REL Sr Member

That's is so sweet.

24. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Aug 15 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1301122[/snapback]</div>

:thumbsup

Cool.

Did you get all the image files from Kurt?

25. REL

REL Sr Member

Yes sir, the scribed detail is outstanding.

26. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Aug 15 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]1301159[/snapback]</div>

That's actually no more than mechanical pencil lines with a mist coat of the base color over the top to 'fade' them for scale effect.

;)

27. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Here's a 'grab' showing the size relationship between the Persistent class and an Impstar II.

[​IMG]

28. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

That is just plain KEWL... :p

29. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ I'm having fun...

I'm glad this project is pretty much done save for the stand and display case.

30. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

31. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Aug 15 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]1301332[/snapback]</div>
    This thing screams the early days of ILM.

32. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ I think that's when they were at their best.

33. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

New 'grab'. This time a stern view of the third Cutter in the class.

[​IMG]

34. Boxster

I presumed they are approved by Palpy's DoD and got the greenlight for mass production? :D

Nice.

B

35. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boxster @ Aug 16 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]1301683[/snapback]</div>
    An initial procurement order of 5 units....with more follow-on units to be announced. :D

These cutters are small...but each unit costs about 80 percent of the per unit cost of a standard ISD. It's all that jamming gear. Yeesh.

36. Boxster

[/quote]

An initial procurement order of 5 units....with more follow-on units to be announced. :D

These cutters are small...but each unit costs about 80 percent of the per unit cost of a standard ISD. It's all that jamming gear. Yeesh.
    [/quote]

Blame it on the raising cost of fuel and the Republic currency exchange. :D

B

37. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

The yards are cranking these out like they're goin' out of style.

[​IMG]

38. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Some more detail shots of sections of the model itself...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Builder's marks...:D :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

LOLOLOLOL.... OMG...

FORD.... Typical ILM kinda stuff.

Very nice...

40. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 17 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]1302688[/snapback]</div>
    No Chevy. No Mopar..

41. REL

REL Sr Member

This is cool stuff, the Ford valve cover is great. Of course with Ford parts installed I hope it won't turn out to be the Edsel of Star Destroyers.

42. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Aug 17 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]1302715[/snapback]</div>

Well....I DID leave off the toilet-seat grille. :D

This is the 'Fairlane' of Star Destroyers. A real sleeper.