6896511.jpeg

6917174.jpeg

6933551.jpeg

6950806.jpeg

6973286.jpeg

6990586.jpeg

7007970.jpeg

7026439.jpeg

I love the Police Cruiser! I have one of the toy cruisers from the 90's that is waiting to be converted to a nice show model. These are great ref pics. Thanks for sharing.

That's the second of two large versions that were built. I made the working undercrarriage for it. This one is a fibreglass moulding taken from the first rather than completely fabricating it all over again.

You know Dave Poole then? He worked on the undercarriages too. The other hero model was the motion control version...right?

Last edited:
Yeah, Dave was more into the electrics side of things. He left about half way through to work on "First Knight". The first model had fixed undercarriage and I can't remember exactly if Dave did those or not but of course when the model landed it was sort of lifeless so when the second one was built, I made sprung legs. In fact the undercarriage was interchangeable between the two models because they were separate units that could be fitted to each in turn and the wire flown version was usually the one you saw landing and taking off.

Actually, looking at the pictures, that may be the first model as I can see the tiny eyes used to hang it by but it has the working undercarriage. Steve Begg still has the motion control cuiser although it currently sports the same working undercarriage.

Love that ship. Neil, have you been getting access to someone's collection? This is great...thank you!

Chris, did the "Toyota Tarago" version of the cruiser ever make it into hardware? Or was it redesigned at the concept art stage? I love that version.

The show wasn't great but I loved the models. The cruiser has a sort of Blade Runner meets Thunderbirds vibe. I've got the 90's toy sitting around too. Surprisingly nice piece.

Hi Chris, this is the model that Steve had.
Nwerke, I work with Bill Pearson a lot. I've been photographing his stuff as its all going up for sale.

The original design by Steve Begg for the cruiser was very cool but the powers that be said it wasn't enough like a New York Police car so it had to have more of a bonnet (hood) and windscreen look. It was far more streamlined before.

I can remember showing an FX reel at one of the Fanderson conventions just prior to the series coming out and with the music it looked absolutely fantastic. Then they added the live action and animatronic aliens and the dialogue.

I've still got a fibreglass shell and all the bits for a 30" and 15" cruiser from the master moulds and a sheet of police badges/vinyl lettering tucked away somewhere.

Neil, you jammy beggar. I met Bill once, good fun.

Chris, yeah, that story was published somewhere ages back; always made me laff. Well, cry really, heh.

So's your FX reel story. The excitement before the show's debut was high, but, um, yeah. :unsure

PS would love to see pics of the cruiser castings and bits if possible! Any interest in doing something with these, or is it strictly for a personal build? I'm pretty sure you'd have takers if it fell into rubber. I'd be one!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back