Space Cowboys - THE Prop.

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
SC-602x596.jpg

If you don't think that this merits to go down as one of the most classical modern movies ever made, stop reading :lol

If you do, and like me, you love the brilliant combination of Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland and James Garner acting out the characters of 4 'old' farts who go to space, then this is for you :lol

No Space Helmet props here though.

Even better :lol

THE most memorable prop in this movie is, without a shadow of doubt, the 1950's Dashboard Hula Dancing Girl.

It is seen in various parts of the movie, and is owned by Tank Sullivan (James Garner).

I found VERY few screencaps of this movie, so please excuse the lousy ones that follow.

We first see the Dancing Hula Girl at the very beginning, on the console of the bomber, while Tank is monitoring Hawk's (Tommy Lee Jones) test flight.

hulaSG1-830x466.jpg

Then, when Frank Corvin (Eastwood) goes to 'recruit' Tank Sullivan for the space mission, it is seen under 'Reverend Tank's' pulpit, to let the audience know who the reverend is after some 45 years have gone by.

hulaSG2-825x451.jpg

We then see it again on the Console of the Space Shuttle, throughout the re-entry part.

hulaSG3-823x461.jpg

hulaSG4-818x431.jpg

I have been wanting a replica of this literally for YEARS :lol, but I have never come across anything adequate.

All that exist are 'modern' ones. Some are close, but they all have the wrong pose ... and since fashion in feminine taste has evolved, they are all a bit on the skinny side :lol, the Leis (flower collars) are all part of the cast, etc etc etc.

samples-972x417.jpg

Then one fine day, recently, THIS came along ! These are the original images of the item, and the state it was in.

original1-709x534.jpg

original2-702x529.jpg

original3-696x524.jpg

original4-689x518.jpg

original5-685x515.jpg

original6-678x510.jpg

LOTS was 'wrong' with it. Wrong skirt, wrong Lei, wrong base, wrong direction the eyes are looking at. It is an original vintage Dancing Hula Girl from the 1950's.

And without a doubt, THAT was THE model used,

Restoration and modifications were needed though.

First, the parts where the casting came together had to be trimmed, as well as all the original paint stripped.

hula1-764x600.jpg

Gave her some modesty, as well as a session at the hairdresser :lol. Also made her eyes look in the right direction.

hula2-762x538.jpg

Much better.

hula3-978x352.jpg

hula4-977x412.jpg

Next, a new skirt.

hula5-854x609.jpg

Removed the base.

hula6-932x540.jpg

And made a new one.

hula7-929x579.jpg

Finally, a brand new Lei, made out of paper flowers.

hula8-815x624.jpg

And here she is, all put together :)

hulacombnew-986x561.jpg

hcombi2-878x695.jpg

hcombi3-870x718.jpg

hcombi4-864x770.jpg

And finally, put on display next to the other 'tropical' themed items :)

hdisp-861x603.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you fellows :)

Been looking at her with 'fresh' eyes, and I think I'll eventually remove one or two flowers from the Lei to shorten it a little to make it more accurate.

But not today :lol

Ha! i didnt know what direction this was going when you called SPACE COWBOYS a classic ;) But I love the outcome - What a fun "lighthearted" project :) GREAT work!

cast·ing/ˈkastiNG/
Noun:
An object made by pouring molten metal or other material into a mold.

Yes, it is also a noun :lol

Casting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Casting is a manufacturing process by which a liquid material is usually poured into a mold, which contains a hollow cavity of the desired shape, and then allowed to solidify. The solidified part is also known as a casting, which is ejected or broken out of the mold to complete the process. Casting materials are usually metals or various cold setting materials that cure after mixing two or more components together; examples are epoxy, concrete, plaster and clay. Casting is most often used for making complex shapes that would be otherwise difficult or uneconomical to make by other methods.[1]

Casting is a 6000 year old process.[2] The oldest surviving casting is a copper frog from 3200 BC.[2]

:rolleyes , *shakes head* , *slaps forehead*, and then, :lol

An excellent job Alan :thumbsup

I've never seen SPACE COWBOYS and really want to.

Every time I go to rent it, it is either not in store or the other people in the "video party" don't want to watch it because they've judged it first :thumbsdown

An excellent job Alan :thumbsup

I've never seen SPACE COWBOYS and really want to.

Every time I go to rent it, it is either not in store or the other people in the "video party" don't want to watch it because they've judged it first :thumbsdown

Cheers :)

Ignore them, they have no taste :lol

There'a a reason why it's never in the store to rent :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back