Question Space bar not working

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
When answering a PM the space bar on my keyboard will not work. I tested it in other apps, websites, google searches etc and it works fine, just not in a PM reply on the RPF.

When answering a PM the space bar on my keyboard will not work. I tested it in other apps, websites, google searches etc and it works fine, just not in a PM reply on the RPF.
It has to be something local to your computer because it works with all of my computers and we have not heard from anyone else. Are you able to try a different browser and what browser and version are you using?

I had it happen to me when I was quoting. In my case, it seemed that it did it when I was replying underneath the quote in the reply, but if I typed above it, it worked fine. Not sure why that was though.

I thought it might be Chrome also....iHeartRadio just decided not to play anymore with Chrome. Uninstalled Chrome, still won't work. Works with IE....of course :/

I'm using Firefox and it's working... CharlzO, what browser are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Chrome as well. Seems to be happening when quoting another member, I haven't tried it in PM yet, but maybe it has something to do with prior text in the box? For example, note that right now, if I type above the quote, it works fine.

I'm using Firefox and it's working... @CharlzO, what browser are you using?

Howeverunderneathitthespacebardoesn'tworkatall.

I use Chrome as well. Seems to be happening when quoting another member, I haven't tried it in PM yet, but maybe it has something to do with prior text in the box? For example, note that right now, if I type above the quote, it works fine.

So it looks like it's only happening with Chrome. We'll see if we can figure out how to resolve it.

Thanks, Montagar.

Still happening with PM's. Not a huge deal, but just an FYI :)
I just tested it using Chrome and was unable to replicate the issue you are having. I tried replying with a quote in both posting and sending a pm. I am running version 53.0.2785.143 m of Chrome.

Space Bar not working??...........Did they shut the cantina on Mos Eisley???....:lol...not helpful, but funny right?

Now it's happening to me, too. In PMs and replies to threads.

I'm running Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 (64-bit) on a Mac running OS 10.10.5.

If I delete a reply or quote, it seems to clear up. It didn't happen for this reply, for example.

Trying to replicate this issue quoting in Chrome (also tried it by replying/quoting in PMs). Are you guys still having this issue? I am not seeing it.

Using Chrome version below, and still replicating at it work. I'll try again when I get home on my desktop to see if it continues there too, or if it might be some weird setting. Same thing, if I hit "Quote" and type above the pre-inserted text, like I am now, it's fine. But if I start typing underneath, I get no spaces.

HOWEVER, I did note that if I click "More Reply Options" it clears up. So for me at least, it's only if I just click quote, and then try typing underneath.

Google Chrome54.0.2840.71 (Official Build) m (32-bit)

I'm not sure if that helps or not, but that's what I've found so far.

Same problem here. If I try to quote, no spacebar.

Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 m

Last edited by a moderator:
Found that I have the same issue.

Quoting and typing immediately underneath the quote means the spacebar doesn't work.

Typing a bit, hitting the return key, and going down a line bypasses the "no space" zone.

RPF is the only site where I have been experiencing this.

Glad its not just been me. At first I was ready to pop the space bar off the keyboard and try and figure out why it wasn't working. Glad I didn't do that.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back