space 1999 stun gun question

The original vacuum-formed prop compared to a modern replica of a hero prop are the first 3 photos!
, stun, laser, atomic, hence the initials "TSLA".
4da0d7c5-51dc-43ee-8be3-01b74b80be60_zpsgd6tf3sx.jpg6393dc0b-2747-43a5-89ce-e825ba957ead_zpsp2dtbqsa.jpg4da0d7c5-51dc-43ee-8be3-01b74b80be60_zpsgd6tf3sx.jpg
94ceb6bd-04e5-44e2-ac63-29bd082616a7_zpsdstlgvol.jpgKeith Wilson's original design drawing from 1973.

eae77ca1-b8c0-42a5-b16a-8fd981de6f74_zpspnzacetc.jpg

6393dc0b-2747-43a5-89ce-e825ba957ead_zpsp2dtbqsa.jpg

4da0d7c5-51dc-43ee-8be3-01b74b80be60_zpsgd6tf3sx.jpg

94ceb6bd-04e5-44e2-ac63-29bd082616a7_zpsdstlgvol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys
From what I was told back in the day, the original stun gun prop was made from an off the shelf staple gun with some redressing
The nozzles were from a pop rivet tool. I got one in the 80's and still have it somewhere in my workshop
It came with four nozzles for different size shafts of the pop rivets and screwed in to the side or the end of the tool, for hard to get to rivets.
The label has worn off it so I don't have a brand name for the tool and I have not seen it on the market for years

What do you have laying around from the 80's? the pop rivet tool or the staple gun? If its the staple gun I would not mind seeing a pic of it

- - - Updated - - -

I just cut the ends off of pens and glued them to square blocks.

View attachment 579655View attachment 579656

What did you use or what process did you use to create the gun itself. I noticed that you do not a grip on the gun in this pic, did you make that as a separate piece. etc...

The nozzles are different lengths to offset the angle of the front of the stun gun, as pointed out by Blackbirdcd,

View attachment 578710

So I do need three of these stun guns for the con I will be attending. So after analyzing this photo it appears that there is about an 84 degree angle on the front of the gun with the top of the gun. As far as the body of the gun is concerned. It also appears that the base of the grip is a little wider than I have made on the other two guns. I am a little concerned about the width of the grip because it is not all visible in this pic. Does anyone have any other pics or screen caps that might show more of the gun?

So I do need three of these stun guns for the con I will be attending. So after analyzing this photo it appears that there is about an 84 degree angle on the front of the gun with the top of the gun. As far as the body of the gun is concerned. It also appears that the base of the grip is a little wider than I have made on the other two guns. I am a little concerned about the width of the grip because it is not all visible in this pic. Does anyone have any other pics or screen caps that might show more of the gun?

How about a resit kit with all you need to make a great stun gun prop?

12318463_1659390180975428_1593722742_o_zps716q9cxp.jpgs-l1600_zpsswkcnxiw.jpg

Last edited:
What did you use or what process did you use to create the gun itself. I noticed that you do not a grip on the gun in this pic, did you make that as a separate piece. etc...

Yes. The main body is made from wood and I added the plastic grip later. My intention was to install a laser light in the top emitter and have the batteries hidden in the grip.

As I said earlier I need three sets of guns and comlocks for an upcoming con. I started work on the third set yesterday. I am going to make this gun with the 84 degree angle on the front and the tiered nozzles on the front. Once this is complete I am going to be starting on the uniforms including the holsters for the stun guns. I will be making one black, one red and one orange uniform. Anyone have any advice on the uniforms or holsters. Also I noticed on the holsters there is a metal ring above where the gun is placed. I don't recall ever seeing what the ring was for. Any Ideas?

This has been an interesting discussion. I've especially enjoyed all of the images of the gun from the show. It has inspired me to complete my Sidkit stun gun. I purchased this kit back in 2003 or 2004. Here's a picture of its current state:
Stun gun (Sidkit)2.jpg

I just have to paint it now and attached all of the pieces. The push-button momentary switch is used to give some functionality to the trigger. Although the kit includes parts for the sliding stun/kill switch, I think I'm going to leave that off.
I understood that this version was a very close match to the gun in the series if not cast directly off one.
I used to have a Wilco Models stun gun kit but I sold that on ebay a couple of years ago. It was based on the Space 1999 Technical Manual drawing and really looked esthetically unpleasing when compared to the Sidkit version.

This has been an interesting discussion. I've especially enjoyed all of the images of the gun from the show. It has inspired me to complete my Sidkit stun gun. I purchased this kit back in 2003 or 2004. Here's a picture of its current state:
View attachment 581462

I just have to paint it now and attached all of the pieces. The push-button momentary switch is used to give some functionality to the trigger. Although the kit includes parts for the sliding stun/kill switch, I think I'm going to leave that off.
I understood that this version was a very close match to the gun in the series if not cast directly off one.
I used to have a Wilco Models stun gun kit but I sold that on ebay a couple of years ago. It was based on the Space 1999 Technical Manual drawing and really looked esthetically unpleasing when compared to the Sidkit version.

Thats an oldy goldy. sweet! if I may ask. what size are those squares on your work table?

Wow. I hope mine comes out looking that good. May I ask how you attached the black section at the front? Did you pin it? Epoxy doesn't seem adequate.

After a good soapy bath it should glue right together with CA glue or like I use Zap-a-Gap and kicker to really get a good grip!

Last edited by a moderator:

great photos, thank you! I'm also noticing that one of these hero props appears shorter front-to-back than others. Photos one and five above seem narrower than photo four. Tricky to detect but that forward black "button" on the side lands over the front bar on the narrower hero prop. I'm sure they had a number of heroes as well as the vacuum formed stunt copies.

Jim Small's version on the previous page looks to be the closest from what I'm seeing in this thread, to the main hero prop with the slider

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back