Space: 1999, Season 1 Blu-ray screens

BenCozine

I thought I would post screens from my 720p Blu-rays of Space 1999. I am using them for refrences to a future scratch build and thought they might be of interest or helpful to others here.

If you have any requests let me know, I am only posting a small fraction of what I have, if you need more screens of something from the show just let me know and I will post them.

Eagle cockpit:

Last edited:
Astounding model work. It's impressive that, if anything, they look even better on a format that itself was science-fiction at the time the show was made! :thumbsup

Awesome pics,thanks. I would like to see more of the Hawk, exterior,interior, take offs etc.
Also the Superswift comes to mind. Wow I just had a Seventies flash back!

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup
Any Eagle shots are always welcome
What are you planning on building?

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup
Any Eagle shots are always welcome
What are you planning on building?
I like the freedom of doing my own thing, so I am planning on doing an updated version of the eagle. basically my interpretation of how it might look if the series came out today.

But right now I am working on about a dozen different kit builds. I just got back into model making last year after taking 29 years off so I need to work on the basics for another year or two.

Thank you for the great grabs ! They'll help tremendously with my 44" Eagle. If anyone's interested in tackling the long ship above the Hawk stills, that dish antenna was the top of the saucer from an AMT 18" Enterprise kit. You can see the B&C deck in the center.

Thanks for sharing, it goes to show just how ahead of its time the series was, it makes me want to get out my Blu-ray set and watch it all over again.

Hi RonH
there are several great shots of the battle cruiser in Martin Bowers magazine BowerHouse, published several years ago that you need to check out.

Fantastic images, thanks.

But Blu-Ray... Brian Johnson has said that they shot the FX specifically for the low line resolution that TV screens had back in the 1970s. Which meant that they let more cracks show than they would've done if they'd been filming for a res such as Blu Ray. I'm sure he would feel that blu-ray shows too much detail - that it makes the models look too much like models. Also it's easier to see that the lunar landscapes are photo cutouts etc. I have a tube TV with 1999 on VHS and can see how much more real the FX work appears on the format it was shot for. So, in a way, Blu Ray fails to reflect the actual achievement of Johnson's team. It under-represents it. Great for us modelheads now of course!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back