Space: 1999 help needed...

I will post up my current grabs and notes for whom may be interested. :)

Like Star Trek, Space: 1999 seems to have higher-quality foreground props as well as crappier background props (tho as we will see the crappy ones are often pressed into service for closeups!)

Here's a closeup laser stungun prop from "Breakaway". One could call it a "hero" (tho even hero props had no working parts except perhaps a "plungable" trigger). Note the flat top (no stun/kill switch).

Even tho "Breakaway" is the first episode, this prop looks pretty beat up - note that two of the four colored squares on the side of the grip are missing.

The tapered conical knobs on the sides (under the trigger) look as though they could be metal. Also the "emitters" in front appear to be metal.

break-laserfloorcu.jpg

When large multiples of lasers were needed, the propmakers mass-produced vacuform shells (this shot is from "Alpha Child" early in the first season).

AC-laserpile.jpg

For the first season episode "Full Circle" it was necessary to have a big honking SWITCH on the prop so that setting the weapon from "stun" to "kill" could be done in a dramatic close-up. For this scene a makeshift slide switch was added to the top of the laser.

FC-laser-switch-redbar.jpg

In the second season, a more refined (but still overlarge and ugly) Stun/Kill switch was rigged up, with the type turned around so the viewer could see it even in a medium shot. This switch appeared on most of the hero props after that point.

BOW2-floorlaser.jpg

Also in the second season "crapazoid" vacuform shells were often seen in the hands of the main actors, or even in screen-filling closeup shots!

exiles-crapazoidfloore.jpg

Here's Maya's opened-up laser from "All That Glisters" (second season). Evidently this is just one half of a crapazoid vacform shell, with electronic tubes and wires and crap thrown in.

ATG-mayaopenlaser.jpg

In the case of the commlock prop, the "working" hero video-screen commlock was only used in featured closeups; that prop appears to be slightly larger than the one usually seen.

MOLD-workingcommlock2.jpg

Most commlock props were just solid blocks, with labels in place of buttons, although the main actors often had chips of plastic for buttons.

ATAP-helenacommlock.jpg

For replicas, the commlock to beat right now would be CYProductions... this is claimed to have been copied directly from a midgrade screenused prop.

kt-CYcommlock-4sides.jpg

Right now the best laser stungun replica comes from SIDkit in Italy. A kit is sold thru their website, and he has builtup replicas from time to time on Ebay.

kt-laser-rtgrid.jpg

I think the tiny type on the commlock ID card and also on that black-and-gray gridded label on the bottom cube of the prop, all came from the copyright info at the bottom Letraset dry transfer lettering sheets.

The lettering sheets were made in both black and white.

This kind of dry transfer lettering is very fragile and tends to flake off. They would have sprayed it with a fixative, but on-set handling would have just destroyed it. (my guess is that they took a photograph of the label and then reproe'd that for the actual props).

Also they probably didn't want the type to be readable even in closeup, so they just rubbed down random letters to make a jumble. I think it's intended to represent a sort of "futuristic" version of the bar code labels that were just starting to be used at that time (1975),

ATAP-labelCU.jpg

Also note how the lines on the grid seem hand-drawn. Or possibly hand-applied rule-tape I suppose.

ML-IDcard.jpg

In "Missing Link" (above) they've rotated the picture just for that one shot, so you can see it better in the camera angle! :lol

Speaking of wacky commlocks, Koenig seemed to always have a different photo on the side of his ... in "Ring Around the Moon" he does away with the ID card completely and just has a big imperial portrait of his glowering mug... :lol:

comlock-ratm.jpg

- Karl

Last edited:
Thanks for all that info phase pistol.

I've emailed SIDkit, to see if they'd sell me the non-resin parts seperately. Hopefully they:
1) say yes
2) the parts are the same size.

A quick caveat emptor here, SIDkit is an alleged recaster. According to this thread, his PKD kit is a recast of Richard Coyle's. Not saying that his Commlock and Stun Gun are also recasts, but just wanted to make you aware of some of his history. What you do with the information is up to you.

Originally posted by Darkknight0667@Oct 19 2005, 08:58 PM
A quick caveat emptor here, SIDkit is an alleged recaster.  According to this thread, his PKD kit is a recast of Richard Coyle's.  Not saying that his Commlock and Stun Gun are also recasts, but just wanted to make you aware of some of his history.  What you do with the information is up to you.
[snapback]1100036[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info.

I got this response from them anyway...
Hello, sorry but we not sell separated or upgrade parts.

Thank you
Siderio.
www.sidkit.com

Does Coyle sell upgrade parts?

Just picked-up a Commlock and Laser from CY Productions. Both are very nice. Great detail and cheaper than MIM. :)

Originally posted by docholl@Oct 29 2005, 02:51 PM
Just picked-up a Commlock and Laser from CY Productions. Both are very nice. Great detail and cheaper than MIM.  :)
[snapback]1106145[/snapback]​
Those look pretty cool.

First progress pic:

space1999laserprep0xv.jpg

This is with bondo filling in all the bubbles and such, and sanded down.

Please excuse my God aweful "official James Bond" digi-camera's pics.

I have no idea what the purpose is for the hole, that's on the bottom of the handle is for. So, I decided that for aesthetic value, and for "real world feel", I removed it.

Originally posted by Zaphod@Jan 29 2006, 10:37 AM
I have no idea what the purpose is for the hole, that's on the bottom of the handle is for.  So, I decided that for aesthetic value, and for "real world feel", I removed it.
[snapback]1170945[/snapback]​

The hole is called a lanyard ring. It is so a cord could be attached from the but of the laser, to the ring on the holster. It is incase you dropped the weapon, you would not loose it. Used by the calvery, and explorers in the ninteenth, and early twentyith centuries. Sometimes the cord was looped around the wearer's neck.

David.

Nice laser Zaphod. :thumbsup

I wondered about the hole, or rather the whole tab-with-a-hole thing, since the lasers are usually seen stored just placed on top of a curtain rod to hold them in a rack.

eagle_gunrack.jpg

But it makes lots of sense that you wouldn't want your laser floating away while working in space or on the lunar surface. I note that the laser holster also has a ring on it

break-suit06.jpg

So you could attach a line between those two if you really wanted to. But it would look dumb and that's why we never saw it. :lol

- k

Originally posted by Krel+Jan 29 2006, 02:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Krel @ Jan 29 2006, 02:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Zaphod
@Jan 29 2006, 10:37 AM
I have no idea what the purpose is for the hole, that's on the bottom of the handle is for.  So, I decided that for aesthetic value, and for "real world feel", I removed it.
[snapback]1170945[/snapback]​

The hole is called a lanyard ring. It is so a cord could be attached from the but of the laser, to the ring on the holster. It is incase you dropped the weapon, you would not loose it. Used by the calvery, and explorers in the ninteenth, and early twentyith centuries. Sometimes the cord was looped around the wearer's neck.

David.
[snapback]1171059[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thanks for the lanyard ring clarification and for the great pics.

What's everyone's opion about having that on there? Would you take it off, or keep it on?

Originally posted by Zaphod@Jan 30 2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the lanyard ring clarification and for the great pics.

What's everyone's opion about having that on there?  Would you take it off, or keep it on?
[snapback]1171794[/snapback]​

I'd keep it on.

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jan 30 2006, 12:06 AM

eagle_gunrack.jpg

Could it be that Space:1999 and Star Wars have more in common than the Lke Ceremonial jacket ?.

The end of the gun stronly reminds me of the thingy the Boba Fett 12" figure had on its blaster.

Michael

Well...so I finally got around to finish moding this and went to paint it.

I painted all the small detail work and then liquid masked that, in order to paint the silver parts.

I used an automotive paint that gave a great finish and color. :)

Problem is, it's too good. I can't get the liquid mask off. It either won't come off, or it damages the pain underneath. :eek

So, now I get to strip off all the paint and do this again... :(

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back