SPACE: 1999 - Comlock build (Another one)

Vertex

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been wanting to make one of these for some time now and with con season looking likely to open up towards the end of the year I figured this would be a good time work on this build.

The plan for version 1 is to have the following:

- Working screen that will show random still images
- Two buttons - (1) on/off (2) screen sleep/on and next image
- Rechargeable battery (Lipo)
- Real time clock
- mini speaker to do simple beeps when buttons are pressed

The plan for version 2 is to upgrade:

- Replace images for video
- replace buzzer for speaker
- Replace beeps for audio clips

I've completed the modeling in Fusion 360. My intention is to have the upper and lower sections secure with magnets for ease when I need to take take things apart for upgrades/maintenance. The access panel in the top/back is to gain quick access to the battery for recharging.

Here some pics showing the comlock in 360 -

Capture01.JPG

Capture02.JPG

Capture03.JPG

Capture05.JPG

Here some prints I just completed to test out fitment and spacing.

IMG_1542.jpg

I'm also starting to work on the adruino code on my breadboard. I'm using a standard sized uno but the final version that will be installed will be a mini microcontroller. Already have the images and the functionality of one of the buttons in. I'm using a 1.3" 240x240 TFT.

IMG_1543.jpg

Lastly - I dont recall where I found the drawing for the comlock, but I suspect it may have been here on RPF. In any case a shout out to Rob Antonishen whom I believe authored the diagram I used when made the model.

More to come. :)

Attachments

• Capture04.JPG
    Capture04.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 48
Good afternoon,
Looking to be an impressive build. I've always wanted to do one with electronics, but alas, electronics aren't in my skill set. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Cheers,
Kevin

Good afternoon,
Looking to be an impressive build. I've always wanted to do one with electronics, but alas, electronics aren't in my skill set. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Cheers,
Kevin

To be honest I'm not that inclined (I know nothing really) when it comes to electronics or programming. I've just been doing a lot of google searches and taking bits and pieces of codes and wiring diagrams to get me as far as I have. :)

Truly a mediocre show with fantastic props and models!!!

Agree, particularly with season 2. eagles are some of my all time favorite vehicles. The idea of a modular / mission specific payload carrier always rang as realistic to me.

Quick update without pics. So after getting all my functionality in - loading random pics on button press, sounds and real time clock I quickly ran out of memory on the UNO, which was expected. I've moved up to an Teensy MP which took some time to arrive. Some other projects are talking my full attention so I may have to put this on the back burner for a little.

"Too many projects - not enough time!" should be my motto - Hehehe ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back