Sources - Royal Guard helmet

Man your costume is sweet!

Got a question regards the color. Only red Rustoleum paint I have found here (Finland) is cherry red. Does anyone know how that compares to regal red thats been mentioned here? The helmet color looks so different in the pics, depending on the light, that finding a good color locally has proven frustrating.

Best I can offer is a direct side-by-side of the catalogue images from Rustoleum. Since everyone's monitor settings can't be guaranteed to be the same, you'll at least be able to see the relative difference on yours.

Cherry:
1590661872940.png

Regal:
1590661895760.png

If you can't find anyplace that will stock it, let me know. Shipping aerosols internationally is slow and painful, but I could manage it. Can also take the picture above around on your mobile to paint stores and look for something similar.

Man your costume is sweet!

Got a question regards the color. Only red Rustoleum paint I have found here (Finland) is cherry red. Does anyone know how that compares to regal red thats been mentioned here? The helmet color looks so different in the pics, depending on the light, that finding a good color locally has proven frustrating.
If a supplier imports Rust-Oleum, they may be able to get other colors than the stock colors they supply. I always ask if I find a paint brand someone recommends for something, but they don't have that exact color. Either they can get it, or they may know another retailer that sells it.

A smoke visor is allowed. Below is the link to the 501st requirements.
This has always baffled me. I can understand things like flat or bubbled lenses for Stormtrooper helmets and other "good enough" basic requirements, but when something is visibly so in the films, and never anything else... Heck, I remember when the Scout Detachment lost their minds when leadership made the flak vest required instead of optional. It's in the damn movie, people! Same here. Exhibit A:

EmperorsRoyalGuard26.jpg

It is not hard to find transparent dark red plastic.

Thanks. Funny thing is that the cherry red the hardware store carries (Rust-Oleums COLR line) seems in comparison to others just as dark as regal is to cherry in your post. Here everybody sells the chalky finish which is something all the interior bloggists have pushed on people…there’s just 20 spray colors available and they’re all satin finish.

I would appreciate you sourcing the paint, but whereabouts in the world are you? I would love to have a few cans if that’s possible! Of course one option might be sending like a piece of styrene painted with the regal so I could compare paints in person

Last edited:
This has always baffled me. I can understand things like flat or bubbled lenses for Stormtrooper helmets and other "good enough" basic requirements, but when something is visibly so in the films, and never anything else... Heck, I remember when the Scout Detachment lost their minds when leadership made the flak vest required instead of optional. It's in the damn movie, people! Same here. Exhibit A:

View attachment 1303689

What do you use for the visor? I looked at Trooper Bay lens, but then I'd need to get a heat gun to bend it. I was thinking of getting a clear face shield and some red tint film.

View attachment 1303689

On film, with the lighting and dark background, they appeared dark. Even the Sandtroopers visors appeared dark in the movie, but I have a picture where it was clear that they were tinted green. I think the point of the requirements are to obscure all features of a person's face to make it appear as if they were a faceless and emotionless minion of the Empire. In the above picture, you can notice a nose and eyes. Keep in mind, they were on a dark set (in the Emperor's throne room, at least) and needed some vision. You wouldn't want costumed actors falling down the shaft and having the same fate as the Emperor.

TazMan2000

TazMan2000

That one from the archives looks pretty wide from the side too though. That actually looks even more like the Rubies than I thought. Is this an OT one or a prequel one?

I think its a ROTS one.Here a side by side of my Rubies and my DP:

38648698fh.jpg

And here some pics of my helmet.I casted this last month with a right sized head inside from a DP in fiberglass.Painted and handpolished with no clearcoat like the real helmets.

38648728to.jpg

38648730nx.jpg

38648733lp.jpg

I think its a ROTS one.Here a side by side of my Rubies and my DP:

View attachment 1303757

And here some pics of my helmet.I casted this last month with a right sized head inside from a DP in fiberglass.Painted and handpolished with no clearcoat like the real helmets.

View attachment 1303758
View attachment 1303759
View attachment 1303760
That looks so good. What are the interior front-to-back and side dimensions for the head exactly, if you don't mind measuring? Now I'm curious if my head would even fit. I feel like it can't be much worse than a Biker Scout.

Thanks...my head is 59,5 cm...the same size like they used for the screenused helmets inside.And thats what I used for the head inside.
I used the head inside because the DP is not really hard material...and I wanted no warping from the weight of the mold or something.
I can wear it very good.But its tight at the cheeks...like the real ones.But not so tight that I scratch my skin.Thats what I wanted for my collection.Its made from very stable and not too thick fiberglass.Thats important because when you use too much its too tight inside.;)

What do you use for the visor? I looked at Trooper Bay lens, but then I'd need to get a heat gun to bend it. I was thinking of getting a clear face shield and some red tint film.
Dark red theatrical lighting gel. Came in a huge rolled sheet and I still have most of it left. Then I just use some clear faceshield material behind it, with a bit of half-mirror tint between. The Rubies one had the benefit of having the visor already shaped. After I caaaaaaarefully removed it, I made a very simple, quick-and-dirty mold of it, taped the faceshield material over it, hit it with the heat gun until it slumped. It's just been enough for me to sandwich everything together. I haven't wanted to fiddle with adhesives and sort out the right ones and the right techniques to make sure I can still see through.

Also, Kroenen77, I really think your Rubies had the mould smushed or something while it was being cast. I need to get a new power supply for my other laptop, as that's where my full picture archive is languishing. I only have a few things on here. Had to get those pics of me in mine off a couple Facebook pages to post 'em. I have proper profile comparisons of each of my three. But the proportionality question is nagging at me. I'm probably going to dig all three out and take front-to-back and side-to-side measurements off of each, at least, and check the ratio.

On the first pic that is not my Rubies.Its a pic from a guy online.The second is mine.So that are 2 smushed rubies.One in the states and one in germany.It could be a productionline problem.But its a fact that the rubies is too big because its idealized for bigger heads.
So thats not the point for me.Its still a nice helmet and a lot better for trooping.But from the replicaside the DP is the one to go.

I think the Rubies based on a DP at the beginning because we know that Rubies became most of the molds after DP was bankrupt.But because the helmet was too tight for big heads they reworked it.And you cannot add too much material to this design..you ruin the overall look.
But it can really be that the first Rubies helmets had a better shape like mine.It would not be the first time that Rubies Quality goes down over the time.Look on their Vader ESB fiberglasshelmets.The one on SW-helmets looks not bad...but when you look on the actual ebaylistings with this helmets. :eek:

Last edited:
Hm. I got mine at Celebration VI from the Rubies booth only a few months after they debuted. They had the whole Supreme Edition ensemble there, but the pike and robes were... not awesome. I hadn't really looked around at sales listings because I had mine. I wonder if they deliberately altered it at some point during production...

Dark red theatrical lighting gel. Came in a huge rolled sheet and I still have most of it left. Then I just use some clear faceshield material behind it, with a bit of half-mirror tint between. The Rubies one had the benefit of having the visor already shaped. After I caaaaaaarefully removed it, I made a very simple, quick-and-dirty mold of it, taped the faceshield material over it, hit it with the heat gun until it slumped. It's just been enough for me to sandwich everything together. I haven't wanted to fiddle with adhesives and sort out the right ones and the right techniques to make sure I can still see through.

Also, Kroenen77, I really think your Rubies had the mould smushed or something while it was being cast. I need to get a new power supply for my other laptop, as that's where my full picture archive is languishing. I only have a few things on here. Had to get those pics of me in mine off a couple Facebook pages to post 'em. I have proper profile comparisons of each of my three. But the proportionality question is nagging at me. I'm probably going to dig all three out and take front-to-back and side-to-side measurements off of each, at least, and check the ratio.
Thanks. That's what I'll do. On mine I just made an exact copy of the visor onto a black face shield and screwed it in just like the original visor. I've always wanted to switch to red.

Are we talking about this kind of stretched out flattened looking part on the Rubies?

38648698fh.JPG

I just pulled mine down and it looks like that too. But also, maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it looks like the one in the archives is like that too. Is it possible that there are some that got stretched out a little when they were making them for the production and that's why the Rubies and DP are off a little shape wise (mold shrinkage not withstanding) - they just used different base helmets?

38637134jb.JPG

This is a shot from camera panning.They moving around the archives.Look at the video and you can see that.I didn´t posted this to show the shape of a helmet.
Only how dark the color of these helmets really is.

And second: The DP mold is 100% ROTJ because they released it 1996.Years before the first prequel came out.

The helmet on my videopic looks like a ROTS version to me because it stands together with the costumes from this movie.
I´m not a fan of this Royal Guard design...but when I googled I found a shot of them...looks not so wide like the Rubies to me:

38653346mt.jpg

And here a pic from the ROTS guards on set:

38653355mo.jpg

This is a shot from camera panning.They moving around the archives.Look at the video and you can see that.I didn´t posted this to show the shape of a helmet.
Only how dark the color of these helmets really is.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Like I said, I'm far from an expert on these helmets, haha.

I found this from a maker on Etsy. Although it's entirely possible the design and proportions were free-handed, it looks like it was based on the ROTS version. Thoughts? I'm considering buying a raw cast and finishing it myself.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back