Source for strips of brass?

Albertese

Specifically....

I'm building a model of the Oregon state capitol building which was built in the 1870's and burned down in the 1930's. The inside structure of the dome was built mostly of angle iron and it's visible through the windows. I actually went to the Oregon State Archives and found the original blueprints for the dome's frame, so I could tell you the exact original specs. I'm trying to make it super accurate.

So here's my problem. I got some scale angle stock, in brass. It's 1mm x 1mm. Store carries it for $2 per 1 foot stretch of the stuff. But I'm gonna need about 40 feet of it. Is there any source for this material that won't cost me $80USD to get the quantity I need.

A quick on-line search found a UK supplier charging upwards of 5 GBP for the same material .... which is kinda nuts.

Suggestions?

--Alex

What kind of thickness are you looking for (maybe doesn't matter)? And what are the workable lengths you need?

Looks like McMaster stuff is big. I couldn't find anything like what I'm looking for. The stock I need is 1mm x 1mm. The actual thickness of the metal is not more than 0.3 mm (eyeballing.... but I have pretty good eyeballs for such things). I'm not sure I want to try bending it all myself. I can't imagine I would ever get a sharp enough radius for a straight enough run.

Hmm... might just have to bite the bullet and pay for it. Boo!

--Alex

Specifically.... I'm building a model of the Oregon state capitol building which was built in the 1870's and burned down in the 1930's. The inside structure of the dome was built mostly of angle iron and it's visible through the windows. I actually went to the Oregon State Archives and found the original blueprints for the dome's frame, so I could tell you the exact original specs. I'm trying to make it super accurate. So here's my problem. I got some scale angle stock, in brass. It's 1mm x 1mm. Store carries it for $2 per 1 foot stretch of the stuff. But I'm gonna need about 40 feet of it. Is there any source for this material that won't cost me $80USD to get the quantity I need. A quick on-line search found a UK supplier charging upwards of 5 GBP for the same material .... which is kinda nuts. Suggestions? --Alex
Couple of potentials? - Check Micro-Mark, they carry a lot of little stuff like that. - Check MRO houses - like MSC Direct or J&L Industrial. - McMaster-Carr is also an option (not an MRO house, more general fabrication supply) - What's your local store's vendor? You may be able to go directly through them. - Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com - Small Parts, Inc has been absorbed by an Amazon.com vendor, but still carries much the same sort of stuff (engineering findings and small parts/stock.) Google "Small Parts, Inc." and find the link through Amazon - the last catalogue for SmPaI was posted online, as it's useful in its own right. And, a link to the new site should be extant. Not all of these sources are the cheapest option for things, but they've saved my arse - professionally! - more times than I'd care to count! They're the suppliers I start when when I get handed something that everyone else has said can't be done...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like McMaster stuff is big. I couldn't find anything like what I'm looking for. The stock I need is 1mm x 1mm. The actual thickness of the metal is not more than 0.3 mm (eyeballing.... but I have pretty good eyeballs for such things). I'm not sure I want to try bending it all myself. I can't imagine I would ever get a sharp enough radius for a straight enough run. Hmm... might just have to bite the bullet and pay for it. Boo! --Alex
Oh - and if it's an angle stock, you can get strip and make your own bending/forming jig, with a bit of patience. Bending premade angle stock is a pain - but you should be able to fab up something like an English Wheel, which should allow you to form the angle AND bend it into a circle, all in one shot! Ref: Machinery's Handbook for bending allowance calculations.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back