Sorry dumb question re: foam builds

cayal

Wanting to do a foam build. I've printed the template off and tried to use an adhesive spray to stick the template to the foam but it doesn't seem to be sticking.

Should I be using something else to stick it?

Thanks

Why are you trying to stick a paper template to the foam? I would think that would just gunk up the surface of the foam and make tougher to get a nice surface finish later on.

Why not just trace the patterns onto the foam?

I like printing the pattern on card stock or thick paper and holding it in place with push pins or thumb tacks while I trace it. And then I cut it out.

Some people like to cut the foam with just the paper on top of the foam, but I have a hard time keeping everything lined up right if I'm cutting and moving around. Better for me with a ballpoint pen outline.

Why are you trying to stick a paper template to the foam? I would think that would just gunk up the surface of the foam and make tougher to get a nice surface finish later on.

Why not just trace the patterns onto the foam?

Honestly never really thought about tracing it.

The idea is to adhesive the template on and then cut around it. Bit of a pain in the ass to get it straight. I might try the tracing idea. Sounds a lot better.

I like (...) holding it in place with push pins or thumb tacks while I trace it. And then I cut it out.

Some people like to cut the foam with just the paper on top of the foam, but I have a hard time keeping everything lined up right if I'm cutting and moving around. Better for me with a ballpoint pen outline.

Same here,although you could probably suffice with making 'dots' on every corner with push pins and 'connect' them with your cuts.The tracing with a pen to me is just a backup

Don't try and stick the paper to the foam. Just hold the template down and trace around it with a sharpie. If you are using black foam you can use a ball point pen to emboss a thin indent in the foam as a cutting guide. Any adhesive that will hold the template down will cause you problems down the road for construction and finishing.

Yup to the tracing. I print all of my foam templates in cardstock to make them more durable and easier to hold in place and trace along the edge of, also you end up with a set of templates that can be reused if you need to. I'm with Psicorp7 on using a sharpie as well, just don't use it to label the parts otherwise; You'll be fine on the edges for tracing, but I once made the mistake of labeling pieces with the marker as well and it bled through primer and even Plastidip coats.

If you trace the template onto the backside of the foam BE CAREFUL! You are now working with a mirror image of the template, so everything's reversed!

--Paul E Musselman

One alternative method to cutting (and trying to keep the pattern from wiggling around) is to use a rotary cutter (from your friendly neighborhood sewing supply store). Place a safe-to-cut-on mat on your table. I used a 1/2" foam insulation panel as a backstop to the cutting mat. Line up the leatherette and pattern (use masking tape to hold it in place). Slide the mat under the part of the pattern you're working with, then roll the rotary cutter along the pattern lines.

Advantage-- you don't have to pick up your materials and shift the pattern while working!
Advantage-- with the 1/2" foam panel as a backstop, it's great to stick pins into anywhere on the tabletop!

--Paul E Musselman

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back